Alpha Protocol - Retrospective @ Eurogamer

I don't understand the hate for the mini-games. Hacking is a little awkward but once you get used to it it's easy.

Now, quicktime events in games like the Witcher 2, I find silly.

Despite its apparent flaws, I really enjoyed this game and IMO, the good definitely outweighed the bad. But I am a bit of a C&C junkie so the fact that they pushed the boundaries in this area significantly enhanced my enjoyment.

I would definitely like to see a sequel or a spiritual successor where they would learn from the mistakes and improve on the gameplay implementation.

Last edited:
I don't understand the hate for the mini-games. Hacking is a little awkward but once you get used to it it's easy.

Now, quicktime events in games like the Witcher 2, I find silly.

It's definitely easy, but that didn't make it fun in anyway for me. For me, those minigames are no different than quicktime events.

Arcanum is one of my top 10 RPGs, Troika has 2 games on that list … Obsidian has none

Same here. But I'm hoping PoE will change that...

I personally really like Alpha Protocol, went in with zero expectations and left wondering what everyone was complaining about. Sure, the boss fight with the russian on drugs was a weak moment, and the not so M&K friendly mini games another. But all in all it was a much more enjoyable experience than plenty of critically acclaimed titles.

Experienced a few more bugs last night that are new for me.

When reloading a checkpoint, loot can disppear as well as any proximity mines you've set (this in addition to enemies disappearing). Irritating that Obsidian couldn't even get a simplistic checkpoint save system to work correctly. :/

When reloading a checkpoint, loot can disppear as well as any proximity mines you've set (this in addition to enemies disappearing). Irritating that Obsidian couldn't even get a simplistic checkpoint save system to work correctly. :/

Every time I'm close to giving AP another try, I hear about stuff like this. I have too many better games in my backlog...

Interesting. I didn't really experience any bugs when I played it, but it was quite some time after release. I quite enjoyed it. Quirkiness aside, it was fun and rife with choices and consequences. Easily one of the most reactive and branching games in existence.

Great game, thoroughly underappreciated.

Loads of stuff that needed a lot more polish, but the pacing of the conversations and the real uncertainty over the impacts of the decisions made really sucked me in.

Back
Top Bottom