Underworld Ascendant - Final Hours

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Underworld Ascendant is ending today, and the developer OtherSide Entertainment posted two more updated today. The first update is about getting more funding.

Starting on Friday, March 6th, we will begin accepting PayPal as a form of payment for pledges to the game. This will be done via our website. So for those of you who use PayPal exclusively and have not been able to pledge so far to Underworld Ascendant, be sure to head over tomorrow and get on board the pledge train!
The latest update has news the game made another stretch goal today.

The Stygian Abyss just became a friendlier place! With Companion Creatures ready to tag along, your adventures you can take comfort in knowing there is at least one creature in the Abyss that doesn't want to eat you.

In addition, when we send out our backer survey once the Kickstarter is over, all backers at the Adventurer tier and higher will be able to choose which Companion Creature they would like for free, the huggable but acerbic Vorpal Bunny, or the aloof yet loyal Mini-Brain.

Along with our furry friends, this Stretch Goal also unlocked Enhanced Music for the game. This will help ensure that more music tracks and more elaborate scores are added to Underworld Ascendant. The music of the original Underworld games are memorable even to this day, and now we will be able to create music to inspire the next generation of CRPG gamers!

And, for passing the $775,000 mark along the way, the Necrotic Graveyard will be added to the Stygian Abyss! This dark and foreboding locale seems to hold an allure for the various monsters and creatures of the Stygian Abyss who, upon arriving at the graveyard, pass away only to be reanimated as the undead. Don't let your Companion Creatures too near this cursed place!
More information.

$6,000 left in just under two hours to make the $850,000 mark. It's been quite amazing to watch the pledges skyrocket towards the dynamic music and sound fx goal; could be a photo finish at this rate. ;)
I upped my pledge again this afternoon for the T-shirt. "Kickstarter Backer" written in runes on the back sounds quite cool.

Backers and supporters of the game: Get ready to break out the celebratory beverages of choice. :party: :party2:

Last edited:
Very pleased support has accelerated like this. Gives me hope :)

Wait, these companions are only for tiers >= "adventurer"? Well, poo. Will the rest of us need to buy that as a DLC then, or what?

EDIT: Looking at the comments of that KS update, it looks as if I'm not the only one confused. :)

2,000 with 75 minutes to go as I type...wow! :) I think we have ourselves an odds on winner at the post....go you good thing!

It got over 850k, I'm still amazed it didn't make more over the entire period. I guess we should just be grateful that it garnered what it did. Now, to plan a replay of the old Underworlds before the new one comes out.....

It got over 850k, I'm still amazed it didn't make more over the entire period. I guess we should just be grateful that it garnered what it did. Now, to plan a replay of the old Underworlds before the new one comes out…..

It's been 23 years since the original came out and many gamers today may have never played it or experienced how revolutionary the game was for the time. I was hoping that they would do better too, I have been waiting over 2 decades for a proper sequel to Underworld 1 & 2. Earlier this week they had asked people to pledge to the next level and I had increased my pledge, the first time I had ever did that on Kickstarter.

It's been 23 years since the original came out and many gamers today may have never played it or experienced how revolutionary the game was for the time. I was hoping that they would do better too, I have been waiting over 2 decades for a proper sequel to Underworld 1 & 2. Earlier this week they had asked people to pledge to the next level and I had increased my pledge, the first time I had ever did that on Kickstarter.
This series didn't have Fallout 1 and 2 to use in marketing like WL2 did. Although people like to pretend games before Fallout and Baldur's Gate were very popular they were not near enough. WL2 only got its number of backers because of Fallout.

This KS had nothing to name drop that would interest people that didn't play games in Ultima times.

Hopefully whatever other funding sources they have will make up the difference they need to pull this off.

I'm thrilled to see that it made it past the 850k mark. Does anyone know if Paypal contributions count toward stretch goals?

At some point they will need to cut off the stretch goals availability in order to craft a budget and focus on development. I suspect that point will be early in the planning cycle. The other stretch goals might have to wait for a post-release update.

Hmm, I just noticed something:

In addition, when we send out our backer survey once the Kickstarter is over, all backers at the Adventurer tier and higher will be able to choose which Companion Creature they would like for free

So you only get a companion creature if you pledged $75 or more? Or does it mean you don't get to choose if you're under $75? That doesn't seem at all right. It was a stretch goal; everybody who contributed should get the option.

Last edited:
At some point they will need to cut off the stretch goals availability in order to craft a budget and focus on development. I suspect that point will be early in the planning cycle. The other stretch goals might have to wait for a post-release update.

In Update #31 they wrote "The other consideration is that we want to do our best to get the game released by November 2016. Doing so means not extending out beyond the end of this year trying to reach new stretch goals, as otherwise we’d keep adding new features to the game and just extend the release date. So we’ll see what Stretch Goals we can reach before the end of this year, then lock things down, and focus on balancing and polish and refinement --- which take considerable time to get right."

So it looks like they'll be taking additional contributions for purposes of hitting further stretch goals through the end of this year, after which point they'll spend another year or so on iteration before they ship.

So you only get a companion creature if you pledged $75 or more? Or does it mean you don't get to choose if you're under $75? That doesn't seem at all right. It was a stretch goal; everybody who contributed should get the option.

I don't see the problem with this; it's why they have TIERS!! The more you pledge, the more you get; that seems fair to me. I'm sure you'll be able to obtain them for a small extra charge later on, maybe $5 or so.

I asked myself the same question. It's the first KS I see to tie a stretch goal only to a certain tier. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. :)

Anyway, I assume it will be released as DLC, so anyone below Adventurer can still get it, but I don't think they ever explicitly specified...

Average price per backer: $61.47. Even the super-triple-A games only cost $60 and you get to see reviews of those before you pay. Oh well, more cool games for cheap for me so I'm happy.

P.S. There were still two "early bird" slots left at the end? I presume that was actually some people backing out at the last minute or credit card failures?

I asked myself the same question. It's the first KS I see to tie a stretch goal only to a certain tier. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. :)

Anyway, I assume it will be released as DLC, so anyone below Adventurer can still get it, but I don't think they ever explicitly specified…

No I didn't see it stated as such, and it doesn't really make much sense. But... meh, I don't really care that much anyway.

Back
Top Bottom