Witcher Attack for God's sake!! A.K.A. What am I doing wrong?

The Witcher
Haven't got that far yet, but good to know. :)

i am also having having trouble - I applaud them trying to avoid button mashing - but the feedback you get as to *why* an attack has failed is next to useless. I have moved in...then out...this way and that, clicked on the target etc etc - sometimes it all flows, other times it just doesn't work. *click* "Why the ^##!! aren't you attacking, you white haired son of a *$@#!" That's a broken interface - the fact that people can learn to deal with idiosyncrasies does not make it good - it shows how adaptable our species is ;-)
I'm enjoying the game though - just worried I may die when some serious fighting begins

Yep, I'm getting much better, but I'm thinking this problem may be due to the mouse targeting having to be so exact. I think it is a significant enough problem to warrant a fix.

True booboo, the feedback could definetly be better. Welcome to the forums, by the way. :)

I am seeing crowds as a problem for the combat system, the "not attacking" is annoying, but my true yell at the game moments are those when I am attacking and friendlies have joined in.

I am doing my sequences fine, but have found if your cursor is not exactly over an enemy when you click for your combos, the "hit boxes" of the enemies and friendlies are easily confused by camera angles.

It's just like trying to pick up loot sometimes, if they are close together, you might visually be clicking exactly where you see you should be clicking but because the area of another body or object is "invisibly" in your way you actually are clicking on another object/enemy/friendly even though you don't intend to or know you are.

Since my system is currently of only medium power, the constantly loading and reloading, is taking it's toll to some degree more on me, than maybe some of you with more powerful systems, at least 50% of my playtime has been waiting on loading screens.
This is mostly due to, I refuse to take responsibility for attacking guards or friendlies, I don't intend to attack. :)

Your stance and your stats also play a big part.
If you dont have enough dexterity or youire trying to initiate battle in the wrong stance, you are going to miss and miss alot. I'd go for the F1 view as well
OTS in battles is a good way to die fast, wait til you get to the swamp and other battles that start right after cutscenes. Dbl clicking on the floor in birdseye view acts as escapes as well (sidesteps, pirouettes, front/backflips)

There have been a few times that F1 and 2 views have helped in combat, but other times when I got my butt kicked and did better with ots. Go figure, but I'd say I spend about 85% of my game time in OTS.

The longer I play, the less I use the iso views, and since Act 3 it's pretty much been OTS. It does take a while to get used to in combat, and sometimes F1 has saved my bacon, but I prefer the sense of immediacy in OTS.

About the non-attacking that sometimes happens--I've found that when Geralt is being hit a lot or even sometimes one on one and won't attack, casting a sign will have the effect of initiating attack again. It helped a lot in my last boss fight where I was down to a sliver of health(when the world turns grey and you can hear that ominous heartbeat sound)--I threw an AArd and all of a sudden the left-click sequences started.

just started today, sorta getting the hang of it. Some things need to be the perfect distance, it's kinda quirky.

It is a bit hinky at times--even after you get used to it--my own tendency is to panic and click the LMB like a castanet, which is of course the worst thing to do--next playthrough (after the patch) I'm going to try playing at the "no flaming sword " difficulty and see how that goes.

Glad to see you playing Sammy--hope it lives up to all the gushing around here for you. :)

Last edited:
Yeah Sammy, you just started playing but I gaurantee you'll be finished before me. I'm still in Chapter 1!! I read some spoilers that made me realize a bunch of stuff that I missed before I got locked into the final course of action, so I reloaded with the aim of doing everthing else...

I have had a few "frozen" animation glitches in the crypt fights. Only place so far, so be sure to do a save often in there. As was mentioned somewhere by someone, changing weapons can solve it at times.

magerette, hinky? Is that an Okie word. :p

Cm, stun works both ways, so in case your getting hit, with low Dex you can get stunned pretty easily, iirc.

magerette, hinky? Is that an Okie word. :p

We have many colorful perversions of the Queen's English down here. You know you've been Okyfied when you answer the question "Where's so and so" by saying"Over yonder." :)

I dunno. I don't think "hinky" is an Okie word - at least I've never heard of it. :D

I learned it from my husband. He's a native, but has been all over the world. Maybe it's a military word--they also have many colorful perversions of the language going on. :)

Slangsite:

hinkie: Out of sorts, irregular or weird feeling.
Example: I don't know, boss... something's hinkie... Robert Biggs, The Fugitive

hinky: The right way to spell hinkie. :)
Something that is out of whack, just a bit off, wrong, confused, suspect.
Example: His directions were a bit hinky, no? That milk taste hinky to you?

:lol: Once again it is demonstrated that there is nothing that can't be found on the internet!

Did "Slangsite" give any indication as to regional use? Did they mention Oklahoma in particular? ;)

Great site Hidden X--just the stuff on the H page alone had me laughing for twenty minutes. :) Honeysprinkles--what a great word!

One of my gripes with the game so far is that right out of a cutscene/ right after an area loads it seems to take too long for Geralt to bust out his sword and get with the program.

He doesnt always get right to the attack in a fight, especially if facing the other direction. BAM I'm getting hit left and right, im clicking on the foe, Geralts standing there like an idiot, it's like the game's getting some cheap shot in on me. Really ticks me off, I'm yelling TAKE OUT YOUR ^$%^*% SWORD ALREADY! SWING. YOUR. SWORD...

My blood pressure went thru the roof a few times on that one.

I just would like to be able to have my weapon out if I know I'm heading into a threatening situation. Like a building that you know contains enemies. Even worse if I happen to enter a building w/ weapon out, the area loads, and while youre getting smacked on by a couple enemies Geralts putting his damn weapon away! Redraw your weapon (now losing vitality like crazy) and try and position yourself and start fighting back.

He just doesnt draw fast enough in my opinion. It's retarded that he keeps putting away his weapon all the time like he does in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom