The Witcher 2 - DRM Free From GOG

Damn, I'm so conflicted. Do I go for Steam or Gog, or go for retail. Argh!

If you're going digital, you gotta go Good Old Games. It's a much better offer than the other digital downloads.

The normal edition ("premium") is pretty swank tho. I might go retail on this one.

They confirmed the GOG release and provided other details in the press conference. GameBanshee notes here

I already pre-ordered it on GOG.COM. Nice freebies, including a free game. There are two of them on the list of choices that I don't own already...

That offer is nothing short of sweet. I might just pre-order it.

If you're going digital, you gotta go Good Old Games. It's a much better offer than the other digital downloads.
Indeed, but the only free game I could claim would be Gothic 2.

I think I might go for a retail edition, though, despite my support for launching it on Gog.

Whoa, didn't see that one coming. I found the first Witcher to be a somewhat of a breath of fresh air. The gritty world it sketched made a nice change from most of the PG13-rated High Fantasy worlds we so often traverse. Didn't finish it though.. I lost my saves after a system crash. Maybe I ought to pick it up once more?

same exact situation here. Witcher is a very good game, although when I lost my saves I didnt feel like starting over. Its been a year now, maybe I should give it another try? After being dissapointed with the last few RPG offerings, I look at the Witcher series as one of the better original games out there. I really hope Witcher 2 holds up to all its promises...

Ok, I see. So they're simply calling the standard version "premium". Interesting…

Normally, "premium" implies that you're getting something extra.

That's because you are. Same thing as DA2's signature edition, really, i.e. it's a limited offer.

I'm gonna get mine from Amazon, I think. £25 as opposed to the £31.49 of the digital version.

Hopefully us gamers will respond in kind by not stealing copies of their DRM free game.

To me it looks like CDP are going massively retro on us by including all these "feelies" in order to dissuade people from pirating.

Power to them, I say.

Ok, I see. So they're simply calling the standard version "premium". Interesting…

Yeah, but this is CD Projekt. They like giving things silly names for PR reasons. Remember the Enhanced Edition, Director's Cut, which was basically the EE with the nudity put back in? Typical for them.

The standard does come in a nice box, 2 DVDs, 1 CD, map, manual, coin, pamphlets, papercraft. That's pretty swank for a standard edition, so I can forgive them their silly naming conventions.

Remember the Enhanced Edition,
... Which is what it was. It was the original game and so much more.

Director's Cut, which was basically the EE with the nudity put back in?
Thus it served to differentiate the US version of the EE from the EU version.

They were named as such for a reason, and not for "PR reasons" ;)

That's because you are. Same thing as DA2's signature edition, really, i.e. it's a limited offer.

How is it a limited offer if it's their standard version of the game?

The standard does come in a nice box, 2 DVDs, 1 CD, map, manual, coin, pamphlets, papercraft. That's pretty swank for a standard edition, so I can forgive them their silly naming conventions.

Sounds like a sweet deal for $49.99

Atari were the publisher outside of Poland, but it's still the property of CDProjekt. I can't see why The Witcher wouldn't be able to be on Gog.

It really depends on the distribution deals they signed. If regional distribution rights included ALL modes of distribution for a given region, then CDProjeckt would not be able to offer the first game on GoG without locking out those regions contracted to other publishers.

Luckily companies rarely sell those rights in perpetuity anymore so even if they sold the rights to distribute, even direct digital distribution, in other regions they probably did so for a finite term. When it expires I bet we'll see it up on GoG. If they were particularly savvy about it, it will probably expire a few months before The Witcher 2 is released so people can catch up on the series and to generate extra sales off of the excitement over the second game.

How is it a limited offer if it's their standard version of the game?
It's been referred to as an "extremely limited" run of the game, as can be seen on Game.co.uk.

I would suspect that pre-orders for the premium edition will be cut off before the release date and be replaced by a standard edition of the game, if not then it'll happen post-release. It also happened with TW1's Enhanced Edition which has since been cut down and rereleased as a "platinum edition".

They were named as such for a reason, and not for "PR reasons" ;)

You actually believe there are no PR motivations in calling a nude patch a Director's Cut? The Enhanced Edition was awesome, but to deny that it was named and used extensively for marketing...I don't even know how to respond to that.

You actually believe there are no PR motivations in calling a nude patch a Director's Cut? The Enhanced Edition was awesome, but to deny that it was named and used extensively for marketing…I don't even know how to respond to that.
You had the Enhanced Edition and the EE: DC which was the equivalent of the EE in the EU. It differentiates the edition and makes it easier for someone to refer to each one.

I do think the censored release should have been the DC, though, it makes things easier.

Last edited:
Tempted to pre-order this one, if the goodies are only available for a short time…

On Amazon, there's no promises for bonus content with the premium beyond the DLC.

http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Ass...NPPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290118752&sr=8-1

Perhaps they aren't done setting it up… Amazon has been known to screw up descriptions before (and never fix them), though… I wouldn't want to pre-order with them without the proper description.

Back
Top Bottom