Skyrim - Kinect Reviews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Verge and VentureBeat both look at playing Skyrim with the Kinect voice commands facility. The Verge article also has some comments from Bethsoft's Matt Grandstaff about upcoming DLC, so I'll take a quote on that because it's much more interesting than using Kinect:
During my play session, Matt Grandstaff, Senior Community Manager at Bethesda, mentioned that we haven't seen the last of the updates from that Game Jam video. "There are going to be other ideas that will be implemented," he told me. "How those are going to be deployed, whether it's downloadable content or through future updates, is still being determined." Fingers crossed for dragon riding.
Oh, and still holding your breath waiting for honest-to-goodness Skyrim DLC? Said Grandstaff, "I think you're going to hear stuff pretty soon. It's not too far off. They are looking at sizable content that they want to do. [Fallout 3's] 'Point Lookout' was referenced as a benchmark. It might be a little bit bigger or around that size."
More information.

Found an interesting comment in one of those articles that might clarify a common question people have:

In case anyone ask "Why can't I use mic only? I did that in some old games like End Wars, Binary Domain. Why is Kinect required in Skyrim?"

Yes, End Wars, Binary Domain didn't need Kinect. Because their developer has written voice recognition codes into the game program.

For Skyrim, Bethesda hasn't written those codes. Instead, they used the
voice recognition feature already available in Kinect. That saved them
time and effort for writing those codes. That's why they can easily add
voice command feature to Skyrim by a small patch after game launched.

The DLC size seems disappointing. Point Lookout provided 3-4 hours of extra gametime.

Shivering Isles would be a much better benchmark. If cost is the problem they should just charge more...

Back
Top Bottom