NWN2 I can't do it

Neverwinter Nights 2

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
4th attempt to play this game. I played NWN 1 OC plus all expansions. I just can't do it. Is it the camera, the jerky animations? The whole interface just seems like it was redesigned for the sake of doing something different and frankly it aint working. The fight in the first Inn, upstairs.. I keep dying. Stupid cutscenes keep me from looting and resting.

I just can't stand it and yet it really bothers me that I can't stand it because I really want to like it....

Thoughts?

The camera system is an abomination but you can make it manageable if you fiddle with the settings. I don't know why the gameplay is difficult for you, but I remember distinctly that it was disappointingly easy when I LAN-played this game.

There's some fans of this game here so maybe they can answer you better.

Stick with it. Honestly, NWN2 OC starts off not as exciting, but it gets better.

As for the interface, there are couple good UI replacements:

Charlie UI (less futuristic look, but have slight issue with SoZ)
Slim UI (I use this right now since I have SoZ installed)

Also, what mouse do you have. I actually swapped the button mapping between middle clk and Right Click. It makes turning the camera easier (for me).
From the sound of it, you may need to tweak your settings if the camera is too jerky. Also, the jerkiness will be much reduced if you don't play in the "Character" camera mode (since the jerkiness is caused by the jerky animation, which in character-camera mode leads to jerky camera... All this talk about jerkiness, I can't help but keep on thinking about eating some nice beef jerky... :) )

As for combat difficulty. Do you have the Tony's AI mod installed? That should make your companions smarter later on. (While at it, you should really take a look at the PRC pack mods, they new PRCs, feats, spells, and fixes some things.)

It has been a while since I played the OC (I am playing MoTB again right now), which inn is it that you are having trouble with? The one where you meet the dwarf fighter outside?

Make sure you have all patches installed and tweak the camera heavily ... I still like NWN1 camera better, but have gotten used to NWN2

I have to agree with the OP, though I did manage to finish the OC, I've given up completely on MotB for all those same reasons. And if I have to add twenty mods patches and fix packs to get around it, it's probably not going to happen.

I will say the OC was worth the aggravation once I finally adjusted to the camera, and I'm sure MotB is also I just have no motivation to overcome the adversity.

Some beef jerky does sound nice, though. :)

I say don't do it, IMHO NWN 2: OC is not worth the effort it takes to complete it, I got almost all the way but got so bored I just uninstalled it and never played again.

I'm not sure its worth it either, they really messed up the interface. The NWN2 camera is probably the worst I've encountered and the game has a lot of other annoying quirks (including among the worst load times I've encountered), while not delivering anything outstanding. If you have other games to play I'd recommend just cutting your losses and letting go.

EDIT: That is if you only have the OC. I havent gotten around to MotB.

Last edited:
Interesting feedback. I'm a completist by nature so I can't jump to the expansion without trying the OC at least two more times. And yes the fight is upstairs at the in with the dwarf monk. I'll try all the suggested mods and change the camera mode again. Thanks for the suggestions, I didnt realize just how universal the sentiment was around the interface!

Oh and I just enable FRAPS, my FPS is 45-75. The characters can't walk or run without jerking around horribly, and the camera stutters all over the place. Really WTF?

The way I made it work for me was to use the strategic view and 'detach camera from PC', that way I would move the camera myself and it would stay there. Pretty much BG-like

Well I fixed the jerkiness but updating from 178.xx Nvidia mobility drivers to 186.xx. It is smooth as silk now. Progress!

I got used to the camera after a while (don't remember what settings I ended up using), but I've been unable to get past about 2/3 finished. The RPCs are far more lifelike than NWN1, but their reactions are a major PITA for a complete-ist. Did you pick up all the RPCs in NWN1 long enough to complete their special quests? I did, but you simply won't be able to get it done in NWN2 because the availability of RPC quests is based on your influence with each one and they often run at cross purposes.

I want to go back to NWN2 because, like you, I also sank countless hours into NWN1 (I was even one of the 5 people in the world that actually liked the OC), but I just can't get myself to pull it off the shelf.

Well my override folder doesnt seem to work. I put in the contents of compmonai2.2.zip into my Vista64 "Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\Override" directory and nothing. No GUI change, No behavior change, no sign that anything has changed. What am I missing?

Nevermind I figured it out. This interface bleh!

Last edited:
I played the whole game and to be honest it was not that memorable except for the ending sequence.

I constantly had party members getting stuck behind walls and rocks. The NPC pathfinding was so bad, many times I had to backtrack through dungeons to find them.

But I did love the relationships and dialogue between the characters. They all had their own personalities which brought the game to life. In the end I settled on giving NWN2 about a 76%.

I have the same problem with NWN2, I've made several attempts to play through it in stops and starts but I just can't get into it. Every time I play I get an overwhelming urge to quit. I think my main problem with it other than the interface is the level design - the dungeons are boring and repetitive and the towns are like cardboard film sets, not much fun as far as exploration goes.

4th attempt to play this game. I played NWN 1 OC plus all expansions. I just can't do it. Is it the camera, the jerky animations? The whole interface just seems like it was redesigned for the sake of doing something different and frankly it aint working. The fight in the first Inn, upstairs.. I keep dying. Stupid cutscenes keep me from looting and resting.

I just can't stand it and yet it really bothers me that I can't stand it because I really want to like it….

Thoughts?

My NWN2 camera is configured to be exactly like the NWN1 camera. Dunno what ti's like unpatched on it's own.

OK I'm nitpicking but why did they have to use the NWN1 music? I'm looking for something unique and after all the campaigns of NWN1 I'm just plain sick of that music.

Back
Top Bottom