Gamecrate - Ranking BioWare NPC's

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamecrate rates all the NPC's from worst to best for Mass Effect & Dragon Age.

Editor's note: In November of last year, we published The Definitive Ranking of all 43 Dragon Age and Mass Effect Companions. It represented one writer's argument for the "proper" arrangement of the companions in Bioware's biggest games, ranked from worst (Anders) to best (Dog, obviously). Of course any such ranking is going to inspire controversy, and the article went on to become one of our most popular and highly discussed ever. The opinions expressed in the article were debated and criticized around the web, and the comments section here on GameCrate exploded (though sadly many of those comments were lost during a server migration a few months back -- R.I.P. comments).

One of the best and most articulate of the comments left in response belonged to Lucy Melocco, who offered her insightful take and constructive criticism, as well as providing some insight into her own rankings. We reached out to her for further discussion and encouraged her to write up her thoughts in more detail. The following article is the result.

Let this be a lesson to everyone out there to put some thought (and proper grammar) behind your comments online.

There are no temporaries like Maya Brooks on lists, Mabari is not on both lists.
Probably those are not included because the best ever companion you can get is Aria. Grass doesn't grow again where she walks over.

It's amusing how you can pretty much tell people main interests just by looking how they rank BioWare's characters.

It's amusing how you can pretty much tell people main interests just by looking how they rank BioWare's characters.
Quite true azarhal as she seems to be the target for recent BioWare games. I still have nightmares from reading certain BioWare forums from the last five years.:biggrin:

It confirms Bioware's style of writing works.
Bioware's storytelling is player centric to the extreme and the PC is surrounded by non-characters whose main purpose is to allow the player to build the PC into the wished personality.
Once the PC and the non characters selected by the player pieced together, the player has reached the kind of personality he aimed for.
Could be used as a test of personality for any player who builds their PC persona by starting from themselves.

Another byproduct: often, Bioware's non (characters) are depicted as unforgettable. As expected, as players do not forget of themselves in a fortnight.

So based on thoughts of you two, my main interest is to be a 1000 years old evil deadly mistress of doom who runs a mining facility and owns a bar.

I didn't specify who are my runner ups as I didn't give it much thought, but one of them would definetly be Sera, now I wonder what exactly does that mean.

In any case IMO you're both out of your mind. :D

Quite true azarhal as she seems to be the target for recent BioWare games. I still have nightmares from reading certain BioWare forums from the last five years.:biggrin:

I've been dabbling in the Mass Effect Andromeda forums recently. I didn't think something could be worst than the DAI forums, but I was wrong.

If someone was wondering my ranking, pretty much put all the intellectual/philosophical characters at the top and the emos and YOLO ones far at the bottoms.

Eh...HK-47 would kill them all. Literally:p.
Is it me or people give way too much credit to Bioware companions? I enjoy them...but they can't compare to Kreia, Alton, Veronica, Cass, Durance...
And then there is Heck.

Eh…HK-47 would kill them all. Literally:p.
Is it me or people give way too much credit to Bioware companions? I enjoy them…but they can't compare to Kreia, Alton, Veronica, Cass, Durance…
And then there is Heck.
More than that it's a shame to include only Dragon Age and ME when you have KotOR, Jade Empire, NWN and both BG with some companions imo way better than more that half of their list.

I've been dabbling in the Mass Effect Andromeda forums recently. I didn't think something could be worst than the DAI forums, but I was wrong.
What are you doing there? All you can currently see there is some Bioware anonymous employee making a lousy joke on ME4 hero's name. No wonder their humor in games often tends to be tragic.

Give it some time to mature, about a year.

More than that it's a shame to include only Dragon Age and ME when you have KotOR, Jade Empire, NWN and both BG with some companions imo way better than more that half of their list.

Yea but only DA and ME are trilogies. The rest of games were not.

So based on thoughts of you two, my main interest is to be a 1000 years old evil deadly mistress of doom who runs a mining facility and owns a bar.

Bioware's writing is contextualized to their fictional universal.
Fictional writers, as Bioware are, could build a world from bottom to top, with its own reference grid, without borrowing that much from this world. Bioware do not do that.
They usually take real world's issues, thematics and tranpose them in their universe.

A bit of reverse engineering is needed to determine people's interests etc Usually straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom