Rock, Paper, Shotgun - The 50 Best RPG On PC

Mask of the Betrayer is #35, Edgy.

The big one I see missing is Final Fantasy 7.

It's a promotion tool. For example:

Top 5 actors:

1. Steve McQueen
2. Christian Bale
3. That guy in the current movie I'm promoting
4. Humphrey Bogart
5. Dustin Hoffman

It's just another way to apply value to an otherwise benign entity. Because all the entries will be subjective (really, top anything of anything can never be anything but subjective without a secondary clause, such as by box office or by hit movie count or by gongs won etc) you can't actually argue against any entry, but you can chuckle at the obvious scam.

It's a promotion tool.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the number 1.

That game has been so often number 1 now … I wonder whether it will be so as well in 10 years ?

It's like movie lists that always like having Fight Club at number 1, regardless of the fact that it's not something that makes for general viewing. Fight Club is the new Godfather like Dark Souls is the new Planescape Torment for lazy lists and societal communal butt-licking.

Why do i say this? Well, the number 1 has to be popular enough to not engender ridicule, but also complex enough to warrant "you just don't get it" easy responses to criticism and, finally, something that will produce a strong 'core' of white knights who have applied worship status to their object of adoration.

How does Fight Club compare to Lawrence of Arabia or Dr. Zhivago, for example? Except for 15-25 bored white males, not very well. But who is reading your article? Most likely 15-25 bored white males. What are we more likely to be able to sell to 15-25 bored white males? The Godfather maybe 10 years ago, but Fight Club is both more 'moderner' and has the word 'fight' in the title, so it must be cool. etc etc.

Dark Souls has all these elements as did Planescape: Torment. By making sure your number 1 is 'cool', you can pretty much write anything you want for any further entries.

societal communal butt-licking.
I'll need your tongue on Bioware forums next year around this month.
Mark it in your notes.
I'm dead serious.

You will be trolling Andromeda forums joxer? :)

You bet I will.
Just need more info about the game, but we won't see that for a year. The rumor is, but I think it's safe to assume it'll happen, that they're using gambling boxes in multiplayer again. Well, if it turns out to be true, my drill is known.

It's like movie lists that always like having Fight Club at number 1, regardless of the fact that it's not something that makes for general viewing. Fight Club is the new Godfather like Dark Souls is the new Planescape Torment for lazy lists and societal communal butt-licking.

Why do i say this? Well, the number 1 has to be popular enough to not engender ridicule, but also complex enough to warrant "you just don't get it" easy responses to criticism and, finally, something that will produce a strong 'core' of white knights who have applied worship status to their object of adoration.

How does Fight Club compare to Lawrence of Arabia or Dr. Zhivago, for example? Except for 15-25 bored white males, not very well. But who is reading your article? Most likely 15-25 bored white males. What are we more likely to be able to sell to 15-25 bored white males? The Godfather maybe 10 years ago, but Fight Club is both more 'moderner' and has the word 'fight' in the title, so it must be cool. etc etc.

Dark Souls has all these elements as did Planescape: Torment. By making sure your number 1 is 'cool', you can pretty much write anything you want for any further entries.

Holy shit man you take it to the next level. RPS are just consoltards disguised as "PC GAMERZ™".

I wish someone would take RPGs to the next level :movingon:

Usually I like this kind of list - Top 20 PS3 games, Top 50 Strategy games, etc. I always get to know some game I didn't know about. Although I'm in my 40's (like I said in another thread), I only started playing PC games around 1992 (because Brazil).

Again, I don't think Dark Souls is a RPG. Of course, I know the concept of "what is a RPG?" is fluid, but I tend to see it more as an action game. This being said, we can demote it to #78, and promote PS:Torment to #1 (from #2) and BG2 to #2 (from #3) and we can call it a day :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
You can safely assume BG2, Fallout (1 or 2), PS:T will always appear in top 10 list...

Every list has personal bias to it and not everyone is going to agree with it. But that being said, I don't think DA:O and PoE deserves to be in top 20. DA:O is just simplified version of BG2 and PoE is flawed version of IE games.

I wish someone would take RPGs to the next level :movingon:

I think CDPR just did. Even if it wasn't the whole level, they certainly lifted the bar by a few notches…

Well there's that Grimoire rpg. I heard it's coming to steam early access next friday.
LOL Edgy, if somebody tries to sell the same fake "gold" ring for the n-th time and still finds willing purchasers it's not a scam but a social experiment in gauging naivety limits.

I think CDPR just did. Even if it wasn't the whole level, they certainly lifted the bar by a few notches…

It's an open world game with barely any character classes, pretty uninspiring loot and precious little tactical combat, let alone tactical team combat. They raised the bar for other open world titles of a similar nature, they have far too long a way to go to approach raising the general RPG bar.

Whether it's actually possible to raise the RPG bar is probably the 60k question - ie: be able to produce a raised bar RPG in the three year time limit before the next round of new engines for new specs and systems.

Let's not blur the lines here. Tactical combat/tactical team combat are meat and bones of TRPG which is a subgenre of RPG. Which means that it's not a compulsory element of every RPG out there.

It's an open world game with barely any character classes, pretty uninspiring loot and precious little tactical combat, let alone tactical team combat. They raised the bar for other open world titles of a similar nature, they have far too long a way to go to approach raising the general RPG bar.

Whether it's actually possible to raise the RPG bar is probably the 60k question - ie: be able to produce a raised bar RPG in the three year time limit before the next round of new engines for new specs and systems.
Actually the lack of tactical team combat is the reason the game is so great many critics put 9 or 10 on it.
If there was tactic team combat, and not Geraltcombat, critics would, well, criticize either lack of multiplayer and coop, or most probably it's clunkyness.

TW3 didn't try to be everything in one game. We knew since beginning you're playing a predetermined character without Biowarelike multiplayer garbage.
It concentrated on being a closure of the Geralt trilogy, and IMO it succeeded in every possible way.
If you're looking for something else than that, you should search elsewhere. Or wait for some new game in this universe where you'll be able to pick a class, gender or looks of your tactics team.

I wasn't criticising TW3 in any way joxer, I was criticising the point that it raised the bar for RPGs. It raised the bar for, as you describe, the people that like that kind of thing, not RPGs generally. There are a great many games which could be highlighted as best 'of their type', but there's precious few RPGs where someone tries to make everything work well - because of time versus technology, as I stated.

Dunno about barraising, wouldn't go in that direction as not every RPG has a tradingcard game inside it and other stuff TW3 does.
All I can tell you is that every single upcoming openworld game, nonRPGs too, will definetly get compared with it. And the conclusion will be one of these:
- boring openworld like FC4, not even close to TW3
- interesting openworld on par with TW3
- openworld that beats even TW3!

I've posted a thread about why is that already:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29783

Back
Top Bottom