Vital Engine 3.0 tools (unpacker, QRE)

badmofo

Tired but happy
Here are some tools that will help any modders out there.

- A tool to unpack the game's 'group files' which contain most of the resources, readme included in the zip. Works for both White Gold and The Precurors, all versions.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/31hnpr

- An 'improved' version of the resource editor (QRE) provided by the developers. This lets you edit the in game text (dialog, menu's, etc), and I've exposed the localisation functionality which allows you to export / import to / from Excel.

For both White Gold and the Precursors the developers had done some translation in several languages. English, Spanish, French, German, etc. This version of QRE gives you access to all of that text also - it's incomplete but not a bad start if you're interested in doing a version for another language.

A readme is included with instructions on how to use it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tybfer

badmofo.

Last edited:
A quick warning. As far as we know at the moment it is not possible to merge resource files, thus any changes you make there, will be removed on installing the next Unofficial Patch or another mod.

Small question. When I attempted to unpack the GRP Unpacker, my antivirus* lit up like a christmas tree.

Should I be concerned? It seemed more confident than usual that this GRP unpacker was bad news.

*Avira, which has something of a reputation for false positives. This said, I'm a paranoid individual.

Small question. When I attempted to unpack the GRP Unpacker, my antivirus* lit up like a christmas tree.

Yeah, I have that problem with Avira too. I set it to ignore the files and never had a problem...

Well buddy, if you're saying it, that's good enough for me. Now I've just got to figure out how to override all those "deny access" commands I gave Avira.

I can only figure that the sort of code which reverse engineers proprietary libraries looks very similar to other malware codes (since, from certain perspectives, it would be regarded as such).

EDIT: I had been labouring under the mistaken impression I needed to unpack the files in order to fix the audio problems present with the gamersgate edition. It appears I just needed to copy the (much larger) Russian audio files over then apply Wesp5's latest unofficial patch.

I think I'm part of the influx of newbies brought on by GG including Precursors in their summer sale. Let us hope they aren't all as derpy as I.

Last edited:
Is it possible somehow, to change the fonts? In Hungarian we have őűúó and these kind of characters, but show as russian characters ingame.

I didn't try to mess with the fonts because I didn't have a need to, but I'm confident that it's possible - there's always a way!

Could someone tell me, where should i put the modsdk?
I've installed firebird first.
And unzip the file in a folder, try to run QRE, it need many .dll files, i copied from game folder, still not work
Then i've put all files into game fold and run QRE again, and got another error something like Unhandled exception in Host Library.... totally unstandable.

BTW, it this board dead? seems nobody visit here. Shame.

Back
Top Bottom