Skyrim - Dawnguard Trailer

I hope that the DLC will include a patch that fixes quests and perhaps some of the GameJam features as well.

Lets see.
  • Killcam for ranged and magic was added through a patch.
  • Mounted Combat was (will be) added through a patch and shown in the Dawnguard vid.
  • The mount seen in the GameJam have orange flames, but it look the same as in the Dawnguard video (blue flames)
  • Vampire Lords (not sure about the minions though).

Some of the stuff is already supported by mods as well (darker dungeons, occlusion support, etc).

Considering we get crossbow in Dawnguard, I kind of expect spear to be added as well, if they already had a prototype.

A must buy for me, you see… vampires.Blame Anne Rice and VTM!

The only 'vampire' game I was ever excited about was for Dracula on the Intellivision released in 1982 when I was 15 years old. Yes, back in the perhistoric era.

I don't know why I was so excited about that game. Just seemed funny as hell to walk around 'vamping' people. Oh yea, and the grafx were 'superawesome!'

I was also excited about a Dracula game for the colecovision based on a photo I saw in a game magazine. The game turned out to be vaporware and the photo was just a mock-up. But the grafx were 'superawesome!' and so I wanted that game but it was not to be - for anyone.

Last edited:
Stop making excuses in an attempt to hide your anti-vampire racism. Bigots like you make me sick.
:D

The government ought to build a big wall and just toss the vampires in. They can't breed after all.

The government ought to build a big wall and just toss the vampires in. They can't breed after all.

Bad idea. If you ask the government to build a wall you'll end up with a trench with a big hole in it that let's them fall out again. The government and union workers will never actually finish it, it will cost trillions of dollars and collapse your currency.

Hmm, I wonder if we get to choose which faction to ally with. That seems to be the implication, and if so - awesome.
The vampire lord talks about being "one of us" or "are you with them?"Does he not?So my guess is that we will be able to side with either the vampires or the Van Helsing wannabes.
The only 'vampire' game I was ever excited about was for Dracula on the Intellivision released in 1982 when I was 15 years old. Yes, back in the perhistoric era.

I don't know why I was so excited about that game. Just seemed funny as hell to walk around 'vamping' people. Oh yea, and the grafx were 'superawesome!'
Oh my, that is pretty old indeed!And I think you are missing out when it comes to vampire games, VTM:Redemption was pretty good - VTM:Bloodlines on the other hand… it easily goes in my Top5 cRPG's list.

$20 is a pretty intriguing price tag, I wonder what amount of content is Bethesda going for with this.

After finishing the game, I thought that the best way to take advantage of DLC program would be to concentrate on enriching existing setting/elements, not adding anything brand new - in vanilla those falmer dudes were just cannon fodder, Blackreach was underutilized, puzzle ridden lore infested dwemer dungeon was missing :), Vigilantes of Stendarr faction was just a filler, High King stuff went nowhere etc.
Since this DLC concerns vampires who were also mostly "just there", it seems they might even be going that route.
A choice that has some story consequences beyond the DLC´s main storyline would be nice.

I hope there is a possibility that the vampire lord wins and succeeds in blotting out the sun forever.

It would make for an interesting playthrough.

I hope there is a possibility that the vampire lord wins and succeeds in blotting out the sun forever.

That's one thing that really has me puzzled. If you blot out the sun then…

… plants and vegetation die off…

… animals have nothing to eat and die off…

… people have nothing to eat and die off…

… vampires have no blood to drink and… I guess, they die off?

Meh. I'm reading too much into this. It's a videogame. Maybe blotting out the sun can just be 'fun' and doesn't have to be realistic.

Meh. I'm reading too much into this. It's a videogame. Maybe blotting out the sun can just be 'fun' and doesn't have to be realistic.

Someone should probably point this out to the Vampire Overlord ;-)

I'm going to play this at Vamp-pa's house. Vammaw will make some bloodcurdling I scream and we'll all have a sucky time.

:mwahaha:

I'm not all that excited but I'll certainly get it, I mean come on... it's Skyrim. Perhaps I'll be more interested when more details come out. I'd like to know if the pack includes things for the existing game, like new weapons, armour and monsters. I've got my heart set on a chainmail shirt and zombies.

That looks like a zombie that gets shot with the cross bow. Perhaps a goul (undead vampire thrall).

Any news on expected game time? I'd love a 'real' expansion, like Bloodmoon, which had new territory etc. and took a decent bit of time to complete.

A while back they mentioned it would be about the same size as Point Lookout or a little bigger.

I seem to recall it provided about 20-30 hours of content if you were into exploring every nook and cranny. Or you could just do the main Point Lookout quest and immediately leave the area, of course.

I think Dawnguard will provide more gameplay content than Point Lookout, however, because it's not just an area you visit and do some quests. The scene where the sun is being blotted out is happening over the Jarl's castle in Whiterun, so obviously there is a big impact on regular gameplay and it's not just limited to the new DLC area.

The vampire gameplay seems to be greatly enhanced and there are these new warring factions that I'm guessing will be integrated into the entire game rather than just happening in the new location.

@CountChocula - thanks for the info. 20-30 hours would be wonderful. I'm not really a completionist, but I do like to visit everything I can ;-) I wonder how it would integrate with the main game, in terms of level/power scaling etc?

I have my original mage character - would love to keep that character, but I struggled a little at high level with underpowered destruction spells. I think high levels vampires may be a little overwhelming....

I have my original mage character - would love to keep that character, but I struggled a little at high level with underpowered destruction spells.

Really? I found destruction spells to be a bit overpowered and had to install some mods to make the game more challenging at higher levels on Master difficulty setting.

As soon as you have the impact perk you can stun lock any enemy with fire bolt or ice spike. However, if you want to try some new spells, there are lots of great magic mods that add new spells or adjust the perk trees so the spell damage scales with your level.

The one area that I found a little bit lacking for mage gameplay was that the spell tomes in leveled loot lists were always lower level than the spell tomes available from merchants. I never purchased them and only used spell tomes I found in dungeons, which enhanced the exploration side of things (finding a good spell was comparable to finding a word of power).

Yes, the spell variation was a little lacking, and high levels spells were simply too slow to be useful. And not that powerful. I remember casting firestorm in a town square, full of regular shopkeepers etc. No one died. That's simply wrong…one of the most powerful spell known to the school of destruction? hah!

Last edited:
Nothing as fun as finding out your fireball blew the treasure all over the place. It was realistic, but a pain after the first few times it happened :)

You don't think they'd just simply move to a crimson nirnroot based diet? ;)

Back
Top Bottom