My Bard's Tale/Wizardry nostalgia CRPG

Malifax

Watchdog
I have been working on my dungeon crawler/retro CRPG Elementium for about 4 years on and off. I halted my work on it for almost 2 years and decided to scrap it and start it back up again fresh.

My question is…would anyone be interested in this type of game at all? I don't plan on charging for it, mainly releasing it as a hobby project with the possibility of people donating if they enjoyed it. I plan on working on it full force, with a target date of about 15 months until release.

Here is a basic screen with some placeholder graphics, in the main starting point of the game, The Fallen Seer Inn.

Untitled.png

I also started a blog, that will follow the production/creation of the project. If you are interested, it's over at : http://www.elementiumgame.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Bards Tale and Wizardry games are always welcome.

Thank you for the info.

Yes definitely interested - I'm now following your dev blog. There are never enough of these types of games being made.

Is there a particular reason for having only 4 party members? 6 would be more in line with the classic games you reference.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing this develop - good luck!

Yeah, this looks good. I loved The Bard's Tale when I was a kid. I think it was the challenging difficulty level. I remember going into a department store when I was 10 and asking the poor guy behind the counter how I could defeat Mangar at the end. He said "we don't give game tips here", then some beardie-weirdie waiting to get served next to me told me a tip that worked!

I have a beard what the hell. You beard racist :)

I love games like this so thanks for the info. I am thinking about getting Paper Sorcerer.

I'm interested in the juicy technical details! What development software? PC only? :D

For now, Pc only, but that is subject to change.

I am using DarkBasic for the language. User friendly and definitely gets the job done for what I am working on. I was using Blitz Basic, which Basilisk Games used for the Eschalon series, but decided to go for DarkBasic instead, as it was much more comfortable for me.

I'm definitely interested. Have you thought about accepting donations? I know a few free projects that use PayPal for that. No one is forced to pay just a way to thank you.

If not you can ignore the suggestion.;)

I'm definitely interested. Have you thought about accepting donations? I know a few free projects that use PayPal for that. No one is forced to pay just a way to thank you.

If not you can ignore the suggestion.;)

I have definitely thought about that. My initial plan was once the game was released, offer it for free download, with manual in pdf format. By then I should have an official website if things go according to schedule.

My theory is that if people like it, donations would be greatly welcomed. If not, download it for free, and play it as you see fit.

Here is a VERY basic and early video showing off some character creation. Input would be GREATLY appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RbraTYJCpk

When rolling for stats, it would be nice to know how the dice roll works. When you first showed it I was expecting a standard 3D6 system, so when you started talking about 14 being high, I was a bit confused until you explained it. Also, knowing how the dice roll works would make it easier to figure out what you/the game intend to be a decent roll.

Back
Top Bottom