Risen 2 - Officially Announced!

Excellent! I've asked a several times why no announcement had been made, as they must've been working on this for close to a year now. About time! I think I'll replay Risen soon just to celebrate.

Hopefully we can get some more info soon; they should be pretty far in development already.

I have 12 days left this summer. Will I have enough time to finish Risen if i start now?

You still haven't played it?

You'll need ca. 35 hours plus bonus if you look under every rock.

A small hint, not really a spoiler:
Leave some remote areas near the volcano open for chapter 3. Then you'll still have something to do when you are outside the massive dungeons. If you've explored everything it's just one good dungeon after the other.

Excellent! I've asked a several times why no announcement had been made, as they must've been working on this for close to a year now. About time! I think I'll replay Risen soon just to celebrate.

Hopefully we can get some more info soon; they should be pretty far in development already.
The reason is probably that game marketing has changed. The publishers are moving away from marketing over a long time, with an initial push and another push near release. Now they're trying to do it with one push within a shorter time. Advantage: Lower costs and much more reliable predictions because the game is already in or near beta when the push starts.

Fantastic news :highfive: Risen was my favorite game of 2009, despite having played the somewhat crappy 360 port. Normally I'm sort of picky about the technical aspects of a game (especially when it comes to console games), so you know I loved the game when I even liked the Xbox version ;)

Games like this needs about 3-4 years al least in development.
I'm afraid that they will sell a rushed in the finale game, like they did before.:bored:

Games like this needs about 3-4 years al least in development.
I'm afraid that they will sell a rushed in the finale game, like they did before.:bored:

Nah.

They have a completely functional engine, and they've done nothing but make exactly this sort of game for 10 years.

No reason it can't be done in 2 years and be quite complete.

Gothic 2 took only 1.5 years. NotR only 10 months.

I'm still in chapter 1. I should finish this some time soon!

Take your time. Chapter 1 and 2 are an absolute treat, while the last two are good, but not AS GOOD as the first two. So don't rush it and savor every second of that Risen goodness!

Take your time. Chapter 1 and 2 are an absolute treat, while the last two are good, but not AS GOOD as the first two. So don't rush it and savor every second of that Risen goodness!

I may be drunk, but there are only 3 chapters, right?

I may be drunk, but there are only 3 chapters, right?

I'm not going to bet my own life on it, but I'm pretty sure there are 4 chapters.

I believe the 4th chapter starts here:
When you reach the boss, you find out that you need all the pieces of the Titan Armor. This is when the 4th chapters starts according to what I remember. The chapter ends when you defeat the bos (obviously).
It is a rather short chapter I believe. Certainly compared to the first and second.

Re: "Gothic 2 took only 1.5 years"

Yes, they allready had the G1 engine though they modified the command set a little, they even used parts of the G1 game world area's. !!

Never played the first Gothic, but I don't get the love for Gothic 2. It had weird, twitchy controls and the whole experience felt jumpy and hard to control. It was kind of ugly also.

Gothic 3 was gorgeous, but so full of bugs it became silly. And having unlimited inventory is ludicrous.

I haven't played Risen for these reasons. I'll hold out to hear reviews about the next one.

Never played the first Gothic, but I don't get the love for Gothic 2. It had weird, twitchy controls and the whole experience felt jumpy and hard to control. It was kind of ugly also.

The controls were unusual but otherwise as good as any other controls. I forgot the difference after playing it for ten minutes. (Gothic 1 in that case.)

After Gothic 1 I was so accustomed to the controls that I used them in Gothic 2 also (Gothic 2 has the option to use a set of controls more similar to the ones usual in other games).

I can only recommend to try to play the game for some time, because it is one of the greatest RPG-experiences IMHO.

Unlimited inventory is a good thing. Limited inventory is generally just leads to the chore of running between the battlefield and the city to sell stuff. You could argue that unlimited inventory is unrealistic, and this is true, but the way limited inventory is usually implemented is not exactly realistic either. Take Two Worlds, for example With a high strength stat, you can carry several full suits of armor in addition to the one you are wearing, along with heaps of alchemy components, weapons, and potions. In fact, not only can you carry these things, you can keep them concealed on your body, and run and fight as if you were carrying nothing at all.

So, realism is out in either case. That just leaves the question: what does a limited inventory contribute to the gameplay? I would say there are three main effects: 1. An extra use for the strength stat. 2. A balancing factor in favor of the warrior class. 3. A significant amount of micromanagement and chores.

My vote goes to unlimited inventory.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game. :) Piranha Bytes are my favorite RPG developers, and I think they are the best in the world when it comes to designing open RPG game worlds. I've enjoyed all their previous efforts a great deal, so chances are I will like Risen 2 as well. I thought Risen 1 was pretty great, even if they did play it very safe. In some ways, it resembled a remake of Gothic 2. The things they did change, were mostly really good, though. The combat system was great, and I really enjoyed the much-improved dungeons, and puzzle elements.

It will be really interesting to see what direction they take with R2.

Kay

Last edited:
Wonderfull news but I still have to play Risen, the witcher, DRagon age, and long not enough time :p

Back
Top Bottom