Jade Empire: SE - Steam Sale

What about purely for SP? I quite like the occasional shooter but I don't play MP.

I wouldn't bother with L4D as an SP experience. The game is designed as an online co-op shooter. As an SP experience, it is pretty empty. I suppose you might like it, if you really, really love shooting zombies. I didn't think much of it SP, though. It's clearly meant as a MP title, and SP is a tack-on. If you only play the occasional SP shooter, there are much better choices than L4D.

Coop is another form of MP. ;) So, how about SP?

Personally I predominantly played both L4D 1 & 2 as SP and found it to be a blast ... but I know you like story-based stuff, Dhruin - and L4D is about a zombie onslaught ... and that is about it. (not totally, there are some nice little things sprinkled throughout.

L4D doesn't have a proper narrative. Each chapter seems to be its own thing. L4D2 has a sort of narrative.

I play and enjoy them as SP games. Very, very different to HL2, but fun in a different way.

Left 4 Dead is $7.49 now. I'd reccomend that to anyone with even a passing interest in shooters or zombies. Good fun.

Good call!

I picked that up for the second computer. Now there can be coop zombie action when a mate drops by :)

Also just picked up Crysis + Crysis Warhead for $20. A good way to show off the computer plus I heard there is a good Mechwarrior conversion:
http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/
and I love mech games.

Crysis does have DRM though but at $20 I can suffer it.

Edit: I hope Steam release some sales figures when this is over. It will be very interesting to see how much sales have increased

Edit: oops, main website is down, found this one:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechwarrior-living-legends

Ugh I missed it! I would have bought it but now its $10 again, think I'll skip for a few more years ;)

Does Crysis on Steam have any more DRM than every Steam game? I think I recall reading that some games will have aditional DRM. I was considering picking the Crysis pack up for when I get my new rig in a few weeks. $20 is pretty good for both games.

I just bought Torchlight a few hours ago, though!

Does Crysis on Steam have any more DRM than every Steam game? I think I recall reading that some games will have aditional DRM. I was considering picking the Crysis pack up for when I get my new rig in a few weeks. $20 is pretty good for both games.

Yes, it has Securom and a 5 activation limit which it doesn't need as Steam is itself a form of DRM. I hate buying Securom games but $20 for both is a good deal.

Yes, it has Securom and a 5 activation limit which it doesn't need as Steam is itself a form of DRM. I hate buying Securom games but $20 for both is a good deal.

Yep - sadly there are too many games that are starting to have multi-layer DRM - Steam, SecuROM, GfWL all piled up ...

If you are truly worried about the DRM on Crysis + Warhead but still want the game then this is a case where retail is actually the better option. EA has released a deauthorization tool a while back that allows you to freely manage the limited activations of a number of EA games, technically granting you unlimited use as long as you use the tool to free up an installation/activation once you reach the limit. The retail Warhead expansion can be managed via that tool. The original retail release of Crysis doesn't even have limited installs as far as I know.
The EA revoke tool does unfortunately not work with the Steam version so you're stuck with five systems that you can install the game on if you buy Crysis + Warhead from Steam.
Of course, if you're not worried about the DRM and the limited installs then Crysis + Warhead is (or was rather since the offer expired ~1 hour ago) a steal at that Steam holiday sale price.

Mmm. I didn't buy it in the end. I am in no hurry to play it, and as much as it's tempting to think that prices like this will never be repeated, the fact is that it's overwhelmingly likely that they will. From what I can tell from a cursory glance around the internet, this sale has been really succesful.

I got so many games to play already. Torchlight is awesome, btw.

Back
Top Bottom