Knights of the Chalice Released

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
HeroicFantasyGames informed us of the Knights of the Chalice release, a 2D party-based fantasy RPG with a focus on tactical battles. More info can be found on their site where you can also download the demo.
More information.

I hope that there is a way to change the font; very tough on my eyes.

With £15, it's a bit pricy considering the low production values.

You get used to the font, it may take awhile, but it happens...

Overall, quite a number of people should ultimately get a kick out of this---especially if they found things to like in ToEE and the old DarkSun games.

Too bad there isn't a Mac version ... project work now has me focused more on Mac ...

It might work in one of the Windows emulator dealies...worth a shot with the lot of them I reckon. It isn't resource intensive so perhaps it'd luck out and run decently?

Yep, old Ultima and the Dark Sun games were major inspirations for it----moreso Dark Sun though.

Is it on purpose they made it look like a game from 1985 ?? I am ussually not picky about graphics but on a modern screen this is literally painful for the eyes. A pity looked interesting otherwise :p

That was my problem as well. I would have happily given it a try, if I hadn't started to get a headache within the first 30 seconds (literally).

It might work in one of the Windows emulator dealies...worth a shot with the lot of them I reckon. It isn't resource intensive so perhaps it'd luck out and run decently?

Since I generally use Bootcamp (dual boot) I don't have emulators ... nor the desire to pay for one ;) It isn't that I have a problem dual booting, just that this is the sort of game that would get more play if I didn't need to.

It looks just sooo cute ! :)

What's with the extremely low-res?

For the life of me, I can't figure out why you would deliberately go low-res...

They explain it in the FAQ and I think in the interview on RPG Codex. When they say they are Indie---they really mean it. For what it is worth, you do get used to it after awhile...though I am on a CRT monitor so I can't really wrap my head around whatever LCD folk would be encountering.

Ooh, splendid news! I thought KotC was still some months from release. OK, need to quickly go home from work and start downloading the demo!

Hopefully the resolution issue won't be too much of a pain (i.e. headache inducing). Can't you play it in a window and thus slightly mitigate the blockiness (and the like)?

The font is something I don't much like either. If the game had featured lines and lines of text it would've been a major issue, but I estimate from the screenies, that the text is mostly given in smaller doses in KotC, so maybe it is at least tolerable. Oh well, I'll see for myself soon.

The biggest problem of the game is the font and the low-resoution.
The combat are fun.

They explain it in the FAQ and I think in the interview on RPG Codex. When they say they are Indie---they really mean it. For what it is worth, you do get used to it after awhile...though I am on a CRT monitor so I can't really wrap my head around whatever LCD folk would be encountering.

Yeah, but the thing is that extreme low-res doesn't make sense, even for an indie production. When you draw graphics, you simply pick whatever resolution you find fitting - and most indie productions go for 800x600 or 1024x768 - because that's what everyone can support.

Unless it's because they really don't like pixels or a high color palette, I just don't get it. Maybe they're more comfortable drawing art for that res because they're not using a modern package like Photoshop - but it'd be weird anyway.

Back
Top Bottom