Dishonored - The Onion @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has two articles on Dishonored - a Wot I Think review - and The Onion, which talks about a potential backlash from action gamers:
There’s going to be a backlash against Dishonored. It can’t be helped: when a game makes big promises, a justice squad will quickly arise to loudly demand that it accounts for not meeting them to the very letter, and in this case I suspect there’s an additional flock of people who have been led by marketing to expect an all-out action game. I can predict, even sympathise with, some of the complaints, others I suspect will be absolutely mystifying to me. It’s the finest hour in what we might loosely but innacurately term ‘blockbuster shooters’ in years – I’d feel petulant were I to demand it give me even more. But there is one complaint that may reach a crescendo in short order, and that is the issue of length. For me, Dishonored was a deliciously long game, clocking in at about 25 hours even without the total replay I intend on having very soon. For someone else – someone who has a lot of numbers in the name they use when playing Halo 4, say – it will be insultingly short. It may not even make a double figures quantity of hours. That’s not the game’s fault, it’s theirs. They gobbled the onion up whole, too greedy or too lazy to peel apart its layers.
More information.

I've never played Halo or COD, but aren't the single player campaigns for those games also pretty short?

Yes (I think - I don't play them) - but they have MP and the campaign is explicitly designed for gung-ho action. He's saying a Halo player will race to the end and find a short game that wasn't really designed for A-B action, so they'll be disappointed.

Isn't COD Modern Warfare SP something like 6 hours long? Pretty short.

My shortest games is Beyond Good and Evil and 10 hours was a good length for it. Although, I did succeed in finishing Mass Effect 2 in 8 hours (I didn't do everything mind you).

I think people will be more likely to complain that there's no multiplayer than to complain about the game's length.

I've never played Halo or COD, but aren't the single player campaigns for those games also pretty short?

My son beat black ops in less than 3 hours. I beat spec ops the line in about 7 and fear 1 in 7-9 IIRC it was a while ago.

So even at its shortest its not too bad in comparison.

For me 20-30 hrs. Is fine nowadays. I don't finish many games if they are longer because I don't have enough time. If its to long I find myself playing for a while then getting too busy and when I get back to it I typically start over because I forgot what was really going on.

I played the first 20 or so hours of DAO 4 times before I got enough uninterrupted time to play it threw. That's a game I really liked though many other game I find myself never getting back to.

I think people will be more likely to complain that there's no multiplayer than to complain about the game's length.

Thank God for that, I say. The lack of multiplayer is one of the points that convinced me to pre-order this game. That, and the setting. That, and it looks like they put some real effort into free choice, with game mechanics, not scripting, deciding the outcome, rather than running me down one of, roughly, two cattle chutes, like the disappointing Deus Ex: Human Revolution did.

Game length was a concern for me, but I can live with it, if what they did create works as beautifully as it looks. We shall see in a couple hours…

Back
Top Bottom