Underrail - Interview Questions Wanted

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
As promised my next interview will be with Styg about his Indie RPG game Underrail. You now have the chance to submit any questions you want answered along with mine.

Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat.

The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states that, it seems, are the last bastions of a fading race.

The player takes control of one of the denizens of such a station-state whose life is about to become all that much more interesting and dangerous, as our protagonist is caught midst the conflicting factions of the Underrail as the violently struggle to survive in the harsh underground environment.
The deadline will be next week from now on the 24th.

More information.

Fantastic game...but I can't think of a single question right now outside of game mechanics, and those questions aren't really suited for this kind of interview. Maybe "when do you think you will release version 1.0?". But Styg has probably answered that twohundredandfortythree times already...

I'm interested in three things:
  • Can you please explain the "oddity" leveling system?
  • Are factions in the game? Can you join them? Does this have an effect on the narrative?
  • Plays the game differently if you create different characters (=multiple play-troughs are interesting & fun)?

Last edited:
Agree with tomasp3n. The "alpha" version I played months and months ago was fantastic and had fewer bugs than most rpgs on release day. I've been holding off all this time for the finished product (which is going to be huge).

All right, here's a question: how big is Underrail, content wise, compared to Fallout 2?

Hmm:

"Are there any features that you would really like to put into Underrail, but don't think you will be able to implement due to your limited time / budget?"

i have the alpha version (0.1.1.22) and my poor eyes can't read the text. I'm forced to play in low resolutions so my question is do you have any plans to include options for larger text sizes?

Some of these questions might be known already. I've watched 2 videos of the game and just followed some things posted on The Watch but I may have missed any of the answers to my questions. If they can already be answered feel free to exclude them.

-Will there be more than one ending? How will it be done, cut scene or maybe different screens with narrative like Fallout 2?

-Will NPC's react differently based on how you solve a quest.

-Is there any kind of Karma system in the game and if so what effect does it have?

-Can you fail interactions with NPC's if your stats are not high enough or you choose the wrong things to say?

@Styg
- How are pre-release sales doing?
- Can you consider speeding up development by hiring more people and hopefully finish faster?
- What is the established time-frame for Underrail's completion?

I've finally bought but have barely played this game because the controls drive me insane and on a dual monitor setup the cursor and controls don't work quite right.

So my question is, when are you going to add the ability to do custom keybinds (which can "fix" the mouse/cursor issue for multiple monitors) and/or when will you fix the problem with multiple monitors?

Lack of custom keybindings is just brutal and should be mandatory for any game with keybinds, not just for people like me who usually hate the default keybinds in all RPGs*, but for people on different types of keyboards or who aren't right hand dominant.

So my question sucks and I have nothing else since I stopped playing and will not resume playing until custom keybinding is in.

* The reason I hate default keybinds in RPGs, like in underrail, is because to me part of the point of hotkeys is efficiency. Avoid clicking by hitting a key. But it's not efficient if critical functions are bound to keys on the right hand side of the keyboard (for a typical user at least) since you either have to lift you mouse hand (oh hell no) or do contortions with your left hand (which will mean looking at the keyboard, somewhat defeating the purpose).

So when Inventory is mapped to "I", it's somewhat intuitive since Inventory starts with "I", but that intuitiveness kills efficiency. I usually remap to "B" for bag which is intuitive enough to me and a left sided key.

M is for map. I say this all the time in MMORPGs when people are asking where to find things that are glowing, the size of a skyscraper, and only avoidable if you are intentionally trying to never find anything. Use your damn map. Anyways.

I say "M is for map" but I always rebind it to something tolerable. Often I use "X" in standard PC games. TAB is good too if it's not being used and can be mapped (go old school diablo on it). For MMORPGs which used to have demanding keybind setups due to number of keys needed, I had a more elaborate system used across all MMORPGs, but since today's MMORPGs are streamlined down to ultra stupid and you don't really need many hotkeys anymore, hell, you barely need to PLAY anymore to succeed, I don't play them, so whatever (I used function keys for game windows like character, inventory, map, skills, to free up all keys around WASD for firing hotbarred skills).

Conversely, in many games (not necessarily MMORPGs) they'll bind something like "throw your currently equipped insanely valuable item that you would never drop or remove to the ground" to your Q key or something. Something you can easily brush or tap with WASD movement (which many games use and even strategy and RPG games are using it for camera movement these days). I always remap this disaster to Y or something I can't hit without effort so that I don't just drop my valuable crap without really meaning it and the right side of the keyboard is a great place for keys you don't want to hit. :/

Anyways, I usually end up remapping at least a few keys, often more, for any given game, especially RPGs, and for games that have poor keybindings and no customization it greatly detracts from my ability to enjoy them. It's such a simple to provide that gives players so much power and control over their fun.

i have the alpha version (0.1.1.22) and my poor eyes can't read the text. I'm forced to play in low resolutions so my question is do you have any plans to include options for larger text sizes?

Another vote for this question.

Last chance to ask your questions before I take down the news-bit.o_O

Back
Top Bottom