What are you reading?

Finished "the name of the wind", following dteowner advice.
High level and quality writing.
Second book already at my hands.

Thank you dteowner

I'm afraid I must disagree. I found the writing to be simplistic and the story slow and uninteresting. it read like something written for teenagers.

Of course, all of this is subjective.

'm finishing up "The last light of the Sun" by Guy Gavriel Kay. and extremely well written book.

I'm also starting to read "America's secret War" by George Friedman.

Finished 'The Hunger Games Trilogy' ... third book definitely the weakest, and the ending was unsatisfying and rushed.

Read 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' - nice light read, very engaging and well worth checking out.

Then read the 50th anniversary of 'Fahrenheit 451'. I've bought it a few times now ... and this first ebook is by far the worst - nothing extra, and enough typos than I started highlighting them ...

Now working on Accidental Tourist - I saw the film when it came out ('88) but not since. The book is pretty good thus far.

... wow ... having the Nook is definitely helping me read more ...

Finished 'The Hunger Games Trilogy' … third book definitely the weakest, and the ending was unsatisfying and rushed.

Have you seen the trailer for the movie? It looks like it might be a decent film, although I haven't read the books so I won't have a basis for comparison.

Have you seen the trailer for the movie? It looks like it might be a decent film, although I haven't read the books so I won't have a basis for comparison.

Amazingly enough it is easy to pick out everything they do in the trailer and place it within the books - in other words, it looks pretty cool AND seems true to the stories.

Almost finished with Cold Vengeance, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. An excellent follow-up to the other books, I'd make sure to read the prior ones or you just might wind up lost.

-Carn

I'm afraid I must disagree. I found the writing to be simplistic and the story slow and uninteresting. it read like something written for teenagers.

Of course, all of this is subjective.
Well, it's certainly not Faulkner. OTOH, who sits down to Faulkner for fun? ;)

Reading the lastet King book now, 11/22/63, about a hundred pages in so far, and it's not bad. Kinda reminds me of the Stand in a way, and that I'm enjoying it is really surprising, I was all ready just to hate on it.

-Carn

Finished the King book a few days ago, it was great up to the last 50 pages, then he chickened out and wrapped it up the easy way. Stupid King, you had me fooled!! Now I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear, pretty good so far but not as great as the first book.

-Carn

The Wise Man's Fear turned out to be almost as good as the first book, at least for me it was. Now I'm onto The White Devil which, so far, is qute creepy and extremely disturbing. Yeah, like it so far =)

-Carn

- Books I received as Christmas presents, which I'm beginning (or already have begun) reading these days :

- a book by Eckart von Hirschhausen, Doctor and Comedian, on Happiness
- a book by Ex-Doctor and … Kabarettist with the name of Ringsgwandl (sounds like a bavarian rendering of the word "chain mail") - on real life satire
- a book by Loriot, a Comedian, who died this month

The Forever War

This is really an amazing book. I guess I'm a little late to the party though, seeing as it was written in the 70's, so many people here may already have read it.

It was one of those books that upon finishing it, I had to just sit there staring off into nothingness while contemplating the sense of loss that permeates the whole story. Tragically beautiful.

The Forever War

This is really an amazing book. I guess I'm a little late to the party though, seeing as it was written in the 70's, so many people here may already have read it.

It was one of those books that upon finishing it, I had to just sit there staring off into nothingness while contemplating the sense of loss that permeates the whole story. Tragically beautiful.
Yes, this is really a classic. I read it thirty years ago and was very impressed...

Slugging through The Brothers Karamazov. Been taking a while since my lunch breaks have been cut down to 30 minutes.

An Unreasonable Woman was really good, I'd highly recommend it to anyone that forgets how politics were in the world in the late 50's and early 60's. I just started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last night, it already seems pretty good.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom