IGN - Top 100 RPGs of All Time

I know that people at IGN are crazy but seriously WTF?Original fallout next to pokemon black and white,oblivion in front of morrowind, PS:T not even in top 10,Pokemon red/blue 4th witcher not even in top 15 and plenty more.Seriously WTF?
It's craziness! Almost like they have completely different tastes than I do! TOTALLY absurd! ;)

Personally, I went in expecting to see no PC exclusives at all except for World of Warcraft so I was pleasantly surprised.

It's craziness! Almost like they have completely different tastes than I do! TOTALLY absurd! ;)

Personally, I went in expecting to see no PC exclusives at all except for World of Warcraft so I was pleasantly surprised.

This isn't just about personal taste they are comparing RPGs with deep story and complex mechanic with pokemon games no movie critic would put Michael Bay above Martin Scorsese.

xaynar.jpg

I did expect a bad list, but this goes way beyond my wildest expectations.

Wow ... rpgs, pokemon and Kenneth Williams nostrils all in one post. Wow ... just WOW!!! :D

Major lurker here! It is a totally bizarre list I have to say. But what I don't understand is the interest that people have in jrpgs, anyway. Can anyone please fill me in on that? I have some affection for that strange and rather race that is the Japanese but the cutesy animation style just doesn't go along with a deep story line for me. I just don't get it. And Pokemon ... what the dickens???

I recently looked at a trailer for the reissue of Final Fantasy VII (or 7 to our non-Roman bretheren, hearing that a lot of people were excited about it again, and ... wow ... what a load of bollards! Wouldn't touch it in a billion years. Give me the grittier Western RPGs any day of the week ... yes even Skyrim's dodgy water and even dodgier flat and pointy terrain generation.

[think I was just too old for the whole Pokemon thing ... and Transformers ... and well all those collectable toy-game-gizmo things ... probably a bit too bright too ;) ]

Err wrong thread, oops.

Yeah the list order is hilarious. It's contents are mostly reasonable though - MOST of the games you'd expect to be on there are in. I think the mixing of some JRPGs, particular the more classically structured ones, with WRPGs makes for a confusing list for any who are primarily a fan of either one over the other.

Wow … rpgs, pokemon and Kenneth Williams nostrils all in one post. Wow … just WOW!!! :D

You know what's funny? I've been trying to figure out who the guy was since I found that hilarious pic on some random thread. Thank you :lol:

Major lurker here! It is a totally bizarre list I have to say. But what I don't understand is the interest that people have in jrpgs, anyway. Can anyone please fill me in on that?

The main problem regarding JRPGs is that non-japanese only got the final fantasies, the final fantasy wannabes and then some glimpses (Romancing Saga, Shin Megami Tensei) at another kind of japanese RPG, i.e. the nonlinear choice-based ones. No, I haven't got crazy all of a sudden, I've sad nonlinear and choice-based JRPGs. Google "Lunatic Dawn" if you want to take a look at what I'm talking about.

But what I don't understand is the interest that people have in jrpgs, anyway. Can anyone please fill me in on that? I have some affection for that strange and rather race that is the Japanese but the cutesy animation style just doesn't go along with a deep story line for me. I just don't get it. And Pokemon … what the dickens???

Hint: not everyone likes the same stuff you do. Nor even that I do which is totally mind boggling!

These sorts of lists are stupid as "top XYZ of whatever" because if you get 10 RPGers together and asked them to make a list they'd come up with 11 different ones. What they are sometimes useful for is finding some obscure game you never heard of but that sounds interesting. Assuming the descriptions are any good of course.

I would personally switch Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4. I do feel Chrono Trigger was the best RPG I've ever played. FF4 was great too, but if I had to pick one, it would be Chrono Trigger.

I would personally switch Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4. I do feel Chrono Trigger was the best RPG I've ever played. FF4 was great too, but if I had to pick one, it would be Chrono Trigger.

I loved Chrono Trigger, one of the best console RPGs ever made, it also contains one of my favorite tunes (Secret of the Forest) in all of gamedom. But the IGN list still sucks.

Chrono Trigger was a great game for its time, but it wouldn't even make my top 15 when including RPGs from all platforms. It did have the best music of any SNES title though imo. FF VI also had some great tracks.

it also contains one of my favorite tunes (Secret of the Forest) in all of gamedom.

Yep, great tune. I also really like 'Corridors of Time' and 'Memories of Green'.

Hint: not everyone likes the same stuff you do. Nor even that I do which is totally mind boggling!

These sorts of lists are stupid as "top XYZ of whatever" because if you get 10 RPGers together and asked them to make a list they'd come up with 11 different ones. What they are sometimes useful for is finding some obscure game you never heard of but that sounds interesting. Assuming the descriptions are any good of course.

Completely agree. Even here on the forums the opinions vary greatly. I can use myself as an example: I don't find it absurd to see Ultima or FF far down the list, not a single one of them makes my top 20. I just don't see how they are supposed to compete with Baldur's Gate or Might & Magic, but that's just my opinion. I'm perfectly aware that some see it the other way around, and that's fine, but such disagreements in such a small community shows how pointless "top X" lists really are.

But what I don't understand is the interest that people have in jrpgs, anyway. Can anyone please fill me in on that? I have some affection for that strange and rather race that is the Japanese but the cutesy animation style just doesn't go along with a deep story line for me. I just don't get it. ]

JRPGs in my opinion are great. They are usually not "gritty", but since when does a game have to be gritty to be good? JRPGs still cover some "dark" territory, with villains who usually seek to destroy the world as we know it, and some darker themes and plots. Final Fantasy 7 for instance, Sephiroth was a great villain with a deep backstory and complex motivations, and there were some vicious and dark moments in that game. The entire story of FF7 really was deep, dark and complex, and overall very satisfying. JRPGs usually have great stories. They are obviously much different than "Western" RPGs, but that's it; they're just different, not better or worse in any way.

I don't really understand the aversion to cute things that a lot of gamers have either. Why can't you enjoy something that's "cutesy"? The JRPG Blue Dragon for example. It's an extremely cute game. But it's also a very rich RPG experience. In my opinion of course. There's nothing wrong with enjoying something that's cute. Just gotta turn off your "Ultra Hardcore Adult Blood Must Kill Things Death and Destruction" mindset, and view the game as if you were a kid again. That's what I do and it works for me, I get to enjoy all types of RPGs because I approach them that way. Just a suggestion. :)

They are obviously much different than "Western" RPGs, but that's it; they're just different, not better or worse in any way.

As I said in my previous post, this is not necessarily true. There are japanese RPGs which are as nonlinear as the most open western RPGs - the problem is that most of them stay in Japan and we only get the final fantasy clones.

Back
Top Bottom