Virtual Reality - Climbing New Heights

Oh. You guys might find this interesting - I almost posted this as news. Gabe Newell believes VR-exclusive games wouldn't be good for anyone. I hope he means what he says.

Good. I can deal with exclusives on actual platforms, but having exclusives dependent on which version a PC peripheral we buy? No way. That nonsense needs to die off before I'd consider purchasing.

Last edited:
Oh. You guys might find this interesting - I almost posted this as news. Gabe Newell believes VR-exclusive games wouldn't be good for anyone. I hope he means what he says.

IMO it should be in news.
Sure, there will be watchers who'll object, but VR is coming, maybe is the next big thing, maybe is doomed, but RPGs will definetly exist on it.

I'll join Ripper's thoughts.
PC is PC. I know any keyboard, any mouse, any monitor, any wheel gadget, any whatever will work with anything.
Even if VR was aimed only for professionals, exclusivity is a rotten idea - for example Cubase will work if you have any dedicated sound card, it's not locked on only one soundcard developer.

I know my thoughts are irrelevant because I'm just one person opposing a social network that has billions of followers, but there is no way I'd ever buy a helmet from any company that pushes exclusivity with it.
It's nor PC thing and will never ever be PC thing.
Here's hope they change the approach soon, otherwise I'll have to use my Nintendo lines on them.

IMO it should be in news.
Sure, there will be watchers who'll object, but VR is coming, maybe is the next big thing, maybe is doomed, but RPGs will definetly exist on it.

I'll join Ripper's thoughts.
PC is PC. I know any keyboard, any mouse, any monitor, any wheel gadget, any whatever will work with anything.
Even if VR was aimed only for professionals, exclusivity is a rotten idea - for example Cubase will work if you have any dedicated sound card, it's not locked on only one soundcard developer.

I know my thoughts are irrelevant because I'm just one person opposing a social network that has billions of followers, but there is no way I'd ever buy a helmet from any company that pushes exclusivity with it.
It's nor PC thing and will never ever be PC thing.
Here's hope they change the approach soon, otherwise I'll have to use my Nintendo lines on them.

:highfive:

I agree completely. With both of you.

Thank you, Joxer. I might publish it tonight, then. :) I agree that it's kind of a big deal now and it's something that PC RPG fans should be getting informed on, even if it's so we can mobilize against it if we need to.

I believe we'll need Bullshit Of The Week thread. After E3's next to unbelievable statements that sound like some different people escaped a nuthouse, now Oculus executive Jason Rubin says VR exclusives are a good thing that leads to industry growth.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-climb/vr-exclusives-are-a-good-thing-say-oculus

I'm gonna vomit.
He's right in what he said, not in how the media spun it. Basically subsidizing companies to make games (what he said) is good for the VR industry… tying that subsidy to a temporary exclusivity is obviously not, but I don't blame them for doing that really.

Last edited:
As long as it's a temporary exclusive I don't care too much. But I agree that exclusivity sucks.

Don't get why Console Players are raving about exclusive games.
It's like "Yeah, I bet on the right platform I can play Bloodbourne now! And you not, suckers! I was right, hahaha!", while ignoring that the counter part says exactly the same about any game on their platform. Guess what, you both lose.

Steam's hardware survey shows VR Headsets now. Oculus Rift DK2 was way ahead in April (no surprise, it was the only option for most folks) but Vive was ahead 2:1 in the month of June.

There was a thread on reddit where developers answered questions about VR. Obviously exclusitivity was on the question list. Its interesting to see it from a different perspective. Here is what one of them answered when asked how they feel about exclusivity.

I think if you pay cheap salaries, manage to wrangle some high performing talent together, and spend enough time working on something interesting - you're probably looking at $250K-500K minimum in expenses to produce something beyond a "toy" or a "tech demo". As a studio founder I don't mind fronting some, or all, of that money if I have a feeling the game will be a hit and make that back.
Right now if I had a 100% buy rate (every single person that bought a Vive also bought our game at full price) we'd be struggling to break even right now. That's the reason why big players aren't in the game yet - your best possible case scenario is losing money.
Other than finding investors, making deals with platform holders is the next logical step. Theoretically speaking only, Valve could offer us $100K up front to put the game on their platform - and they could offer $300K if we made it exclusive to their platform.
Suddenly as a studio head I have to make a very tough call. Do I halve the size of the team, or gamble and go into debt and take the non-exclusive? Or do I make this a "sure bet" and go with the exclusive?
Business-wise, exclusive deals almost always make sense. The numbers they offer are designed to be very tempting - they've done the math, they know your team size, and they know what the market is likely to generate. Exclusives completely remove risk, and that makes those deals very attractive. The platform holders, meanwhile, get yet another selling point to hopefully put them "on top" in the market. Win-win.
From the consumer point of view, exclusives are annoying, fracture the marketplace, and generally seem like a jerk move. I also understand that some games would simply not exist without them. I personally wish platform holders offer exclusive levels of money for non exclusive deals, but that's not likely to happen.

From the consumer point of view, exclusives are annoying, fracture the marketplace, and generally seem like a jerk move. I also understand that some games would simply not exist without them.
From what I remember, if TW3 was PC exclusive - then it wouldn't exist, not vice versa.
So yes, also from my point of view exclusivity is a jerk move. Timed exclusivity is okay, but Red Dead Redemption case should never ever happen again.

Let's not forget that Zynga cash cows were Facebook exclusives back in the day. While it worked with browsers, the same Facebook is trying to do the same thing with new generation of displays. Without understanding that VR helmets, unlike free webbrowsers, cost a fortune.
Screw 'em.

Well, they already dropped the Oculus Hardware DRM after they got all the bad feedback.

Personally I see the use of exclusive deals but I also welcome any action from consumers or publishers against it.

Well, they already dropped the Oculus Hardware DRM after they got all the bad feedback.

Personally I see the use of exclusive deals but I also welcome any action from consumers or publishers against it.

Which is ok. Officially the game is not supported on the Vive, so they don't have to waste money/time/effort to make it work there, but they don't stop you from jury-rigging it so it plays there.

Playstation VR news:
A new video appeared that "shows all sorts of experiences for the virtual reality device ranging from games to coming face-to-face with a Great White shark in The Deep":

Meanwhile in the real world:

152237642.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

d9474d009ece12d7696fc4a2c1ea8efe-650-80.jpg

152237640.jpg

87uId2y.jpg

8LCeM7a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom