Dragon Age 2 - Demo Tidbits

Dhruin

SasqWatch
If you've been following the Dragon Age 2 demo in the forums, you'll know BioWare has commented or acknowledged a number of issues. For those that haven't...
There are confirmed DX11 issues (though not everyone has problems):
The PC demo has known performance and stability issues with DirectX 11. These have been fixed in the final game.

We recommend that all users disable DirectX 11 while playing the demo, including those with high-end machines.
The Tactics editor is buggy:
Hey Guys,

Unfortunately we will not be able to correct this issue for the demo but it is fixed for the main game release.
Mike Laidlaw says the loading mid-cutscene shouldn't be present in the final game:
We had some problems with loading before conversations in some PC configurations that are likely what you've been experiencing. My wife's PC had similar issues, and I can happily confirm that hers no longer has this issue between the time we were working on the demo and the final builds of the game. Likely an issue that's already resolved in the shipping build.
Lastly, if you haven't had enough DA2 today, GameSpot has a 30 minute odd gameplay demo with Mike Laidlaw. I've had my fill, so I didn't watch it all, but it looks to show new areas and not just the demo section.
More information.

Not related to demo, but i want to pop this question.

Darkspawn...what a silly concept. I pondered it since even before release of first game.

They are mindless creatures. Somewhere on level of Gibberling (from Wiki : It is difficult to imagine a gibberling social structure. There is no sense, no organization, and no individuality. Though they clearly have a primitive means of communicating among themselves, they have no discernable language.)

Its hard to understand that creatures incapable of any language , or non aggressive behavior - would learn to effectively use martial weapons like swords. But also wear intricate armors.

Its said that they scavenge these - but only donning plate armor was a procedure that took help of squire to acomplish.

But aside that nonsense, yes... Even if it was believable

Wouldn't they than look like rig rag , bunch , everyone wearing different unmatched pieces of armor they managed to scavenge ?

So how come in DA2 demo , all Darkspawn look exactly the same , and wear exactly the same armor ???

:lol:

They're Clones ?

The United Darkspawn Clone Army Of The Underground Republic ?

Yep! Thats it !

Cloned with armor
screenshot_da212_35870.jpg

Glad to hear about the DX11 thing, I was worried that was some incompatibility with my PC that would carry over to the final release.

Seems weird to limit the demo to medium settings and DX9.

There are more inteligent darkspawn forgers. You would know that, if you would have played a certain fan made mod. Can't remember it's name but it was pretty good.

There are more inteligent darkspawn forgers. You would know that, if you would have played a certain fan made mod. Can't remember it's name but it was pretty good.

Well according to lore , yea ... humans infected by blight forge weapons and armor for them , or repair what darkspawn collected.

But even with this , its ridicilous that Bioware made 1 model for all darkspawn (well one per type). When all you do most of the game is fight darkspawn.

Its almost as lazy as the whole lore of D.A.

It played really well on my aging MacBook Pro running Boot Camp. Weirdly, It defaulted to Low quality graphics, but when I started it again and upped it to Medium, it seemed smoother, especially in cut scenes.

I was skeptical that I'd be able to play it very well at all, and have been pleasantly surprised.

Combat looks like crap, and interface totally consolfied and ugly.

What happened to skills? I know skills in DAO were not all that useful, but how are they gonna handle Coercion, Survival and Herbalism in DA2?
And what about lock picking? I don't see it in any of the Rouge talent trees.

From what i remember reading somewhere, there arent any alchemy or poison making skills anymore. You just find the raw resources and certain crafters will make them for you.

Is it only me or does the new Dark Spawn look like zombies in armour?

Rather unimpressive demo I must say. Was uncertain before if I should buy this game, didn't get any wiser after playing demo.

I think coercion/dialogue/ is based on how friendly? the other part is towards you - or how hostile they are towards you. Isn't this a similar thing to the way Oblivion did the whole dialogue thing? I remember seeing somewhere that the dialogue (wheel?) will be handled like this: people who friendly towards you will be nicer to you and people who are not friendly toward you, will not.

Edit:

As for the Darkspawn, remember that it is the Archdemon that call to the Darkspawn - and the Darkspawn are compelled, they must, heed this call.
As for the similar look, my guess is this: Broodmothers breed darkspawn. And the darkspawn in DA2 are are bred by human broodmothers.

Last edited:
I just don't understand what Bioware is trying to do. I wasn't too happy with the whole premise of the first Dragon Age, but it won me over - parts of it anyway... That game in my opinion was in a way meant to be a modern interpretation of Baldur's Gate. They even pointed out that the PC version had a zoom so you could play from a top-down view point.

With DA II Bioware is not pretending anymore and it's taking the franchise in an entirely different direction. I'm not sure what direction that is... Instead of building and improving on DAO, they designed a completely new game. I don't know what to think. I'm disappointed that Bioware has put even more distance between itself and the "hard core" RPG. What hope I had in the franchise as the "savior" of the RPG is now gone.

With that said, I still might go ahead and spend my hard earned money on DA II. I feel that it still has a lot of potential to entertain, and I'm desperate for a new RPG in any form I can get it...

I discovered today you can't change party members armor.
They'll wear the same outfit form the beginning to the end.
You'll be able to change weapons and improve protection by gems, rings and bracers…..
Another big step in ME2 direction.

I've cancelled my preorder.

This game's not what I call a good CRPG.

I discovered today you can't change party members armor.
They'll wear the same outfit form the beginning to the end.
You'll be able to change weapons and improve protection by gems, rings and bracers…..
Another big step in ME2 direction.

I've cancelled my preorder.

This game's not what I call a good CRPG.

I found out a few months ago and thought the same thing. No doubt I'll still buy.

I watched parts of the 30 minute vid. I gotta say, the Xbox version looks damn good. Surprisingly so.

I may end up just getting it for Xbox.

same here. I feel that this game was meant to be for console. Its like an interactive adventure movie more than a real RPG. I think in this case I'll sacrafice the PC perks, like DX 11 for my 42" HDTV.

Back
Top Bottom