Mass Effect: Andromeda - Novels to come

Nyx

Goddess of the Night
Bioware has confirmed a rumor that they are releasing a series of novels based on the Mass Effect universe. Gamespot has written an article containing some possible information about the first book titled Mass Effect Andromeda: Initation.

According to the report, there will be four new Mass Effect novels in all. The first one, which is reportedly titled Mass Effect Andromeda: Initation, is being written by N. K. Jemisin; the report said it's due out in August 2016. The document also revealed that Mass Effect series writer Mac Walters will pen the last one, which does not yet have a title but is slated for March 2018.

In an official blog Bioware writes

This past weekend, information came out regarding our new series of Mass Effect novels from Titan Books. These novels will give us the opportunity to expand the Mass Effect universe and bring new stories to life outside of the games.
Unfortunately, it's still too early to go into more detail about the books or when they will be released. But don't worry, we'll have a proper announcement with all the juicy details at a later date.
We are still in the midst of the creative process, but we are working with a talented group of writers to bring these exciting new stories to our fans.

Read the full article from gamespot here

Read the official comment from bioware here

More information.

"We are still in the midst of the creative process, but we are working with a talented group of writers to bring these exciting new stories to our fans.""There is no word yet on who will write the second and third books, but release dates of March 2017 and September 2017 were listed for them.", (latter quote from the Gamespot article, above).

Sounds to me like BW is very early in the creative process; still looking to find stories worth writing, and probably also looking for authors capable of creating and writing stories forming the basis of a continuing ME series. Also sounds like ME:A will be the most basic of introductions to the new galaxy, and some new characters -- explore a few solar systems -- fight some monsters -- find some traces of previous civilizations maybe…

Stay tuned for new stories yet to be conceived and written… hopefully…

__

The gamespot article about the books future are based on probabilities and rumors, the only official word is that they are indeed working on them and from what I can gather authors are already in place.

Eh, are they (purely) romance novels? Those would sell like cupcakes on BSN, I kid you not. :p

With everybody from the old Bioware jumping ship, perhaps the game release date is in for a long slide? Some sales guy probably came up with the idea for novels to keep the game in the public eye.

Eh, are they (purely) romance novels? Those would sell like cupcakes on BSN, I kid you not. :p

Mmm… a hot blue alien babe with tentacles. A little romulan wine, a bowl of wriggling gagh, and a couple of neon candles for lighting. What more could you want? :biggrin:

With everybody from the old Bioware jumping ship, perhaps the game release date is in for a long slide? Some sales guy probably came up with the idea for novels to keep the game in the public eye.

Their first BioWare "prequel" novel was for the first Mass Effect and released in 2007. Each ME games had their "tie-in" novel(s)/comics after that. The Dragon Age series is no different. It's not some new marketing plan.

This is true.
While I cannot say anything about books as I haven't read them, all comics were of poor quality. Writing was almost pathetic and style was so bad no character looked as themself on pictures. What's even worse everything from those comics could have easily been said in a few sentences inside games.
Don't forget the fullfeature animated Paragon Lost title. Horrible. As if ME series didn't have enough of plotholes, they've decided to add a few more.

I won't buy any tie-ins. Spin-offs perhaps I will. But materials touching the main story, never. EA can declare it canon and yell about those for eternity, I just won't budge.

[..]

Yeah with everybody from the old Bioware jumping ship we might have enjoyed the last true Mass Effect ending with number III.

This is true.
While I cannot say anything about books as I haven't read them, all comics were of poor quality.

I read them because I love the universe, but…

They were pretty bad, which is odd considering Karpshyn wrote them and he was the lead writer of the first 2 ME games. Perhaps his ideas are better than his actual writing?

Either way, the fact that someone else will be writing the new novels already gives me hope.

Back
Top Bottom