Risen 3: Titan Lords - Review Roundup

Looks like most of the complaints are because it's too similar to Risen 2, and since I liked Risen 2 (more than Risen 1) I'm ok with it.

Jim Sterling / Escapist

Quests often splinter, leading into multiple smaller quests which themselves may splinter further. After ten hours with the game, I had a log book filled with dozens of missions spread across multiple islands, and I had no clue what to do first. Some quests require you to complete other quests before they can be completed, but good luck finding out what the order is supposed to be! I realize I'm using the word quest a damn lot, but if that frustrates you, you'll get a good idea of what trying to make sense of Risen 3 is actually like. Some of the missions cannot be completed until set points in the game, but the game itself won't tell you that, and you may end up wondering what the hell you're supposed to do as you pursue a dead line of inquiry. Other times, you'll simply have quest marks on your map point to the wrong place, and you'll wander around an environment trying to work out where to go, only to read and reread the log book until you guess a different, unmarked location.

LOL - he has no clue about CRPGs at all…

Last edited:
Agreed. He likes his quests simple, linear and marked with a breadcrumbs trail :)

This Esacapist idiot wants another shallow Skyrim, with markers showing him what to do next because his shallow self is incapable of doing that! You know, the type of game that you can leave for a year and then come back and just follow the markers to continue, because there was nothing memorable in the first place.

This Jim Sterling wants new shiny graphics and features. No interest in complexity or thinking.

That 'review' is a good case and point for what I'm always criticizing the American gaming media about. At least until D:OS, they always seem to praise flash over substance. CRPGs out of Europe for the last 15 years have been fantastic diamonds in the rough. But they haven't had as much steam in America as they should have because of all the bad press. It's a shame really and is one of the reasons why I put little to no weight on the opinions of any American gaming press reviews.

I hated him for his opinions on the gaming industry on Destructoid for years. So I'm not surprised by another one of his reviews bad mouthing RPGs again.:smug:

Sorry, but I think his opinions on the games industry are spot on. Just spot on. He might not know what makes a great RPG. But Jimquisition is just brilliant.

Sorry, but I think his opinions on the games industry are spot on. Just spot on. He might not know what makes a great RPG. But Jimquisition is just brilliant.
Well your entitled to your opinion as I am, and frankly I just don't like him. Anyway this isn't the right thread to discuss this further. Feel free to make one.:)

I don't think there's any other company that gets more unfair reception than Piranha Bytes. It's like no one is really willing to give their game a chance ,sometimes not even their devoted fans and they are so quick to judge. Both Gothic 3 (a pinnacle of game making IMO) and Risen 2 (an excellent game, although a step in the wrong direction for PB) have suffered because of this. Hope the same doesn't happen to R3.

Loved Gothic, loved Risen but I'll hold off because I have a shit-ton of games to finish.

Would like to play this, but I should probably finish Risen 1 first... and I should definitely finish Original Sin before that. What are the odds on my doing either of those things before Wasteland 2 drops?

Risen 3 is not doing so well on Steam.

It was in the top 3 for 2 days, but now has fallen below D:OS and is in 7th position of the top sellers.

Seeing as D:OS was 1st for 2 weeks and that was ~200ksales, I don't see Risen 3 getting anywhere close to that number.

Yes, I understand that Germany is the main user base and that they're likely to sell several hundred thousands of copies in Germany, but it would have been nice to see it at the top on Steam for a bit too :)

Why fret so much over this? How about we play it and see for ourselves - instead of desperately trying to change what other people think when we don't even know if the game is worth playing?

PB are in a position to know exactly how their quirky style is received. It can't be a surprise. They've obviously refused to change it - and they're paying the price.

It's likely we can enjoy it all the same, because I assume most of us are in this for the exploration and the world immersion? That's what they do best.

Risen 3 won't really top Steam sale, how could it with lacklustre reviews and no marketing effort? Good marketing is worth +1/10 score easily (more if big publisher), and in any case Gothic/Risen was never really to mainstream tastes. If people who liked Gothics say it's bad, I'll worry about that, but I couldn't care less about people who want shiny graphics and 'streamlined' gameplay.

Many RPGWatch members care about PB and Gothic style games because we were part of the oldest English Gothic community at RPGDot.com.

The original "idea" of Gothic games is still great:
Free challenging exploring, interesting world interaction, C&C, multiple solutions, and high quest density with memorable characters and factions.

A better execution by PB without compromises to the console faction would be cool for their next game.

Back
Top Bottom