|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » EVE Online massive war.

Default EVE Online massive war.

January 29th, 2014, 22:18
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/535…0-year-history

I don't play or follow MMO's at all, but I saw this on a different forum and was like whoa! Do people actually invest that much time to play a game so that a ship which literally takes months of real-time to build, they have up to 40 of them????? Or are they sinking real money to watch them turn into space dust??

We satisfy our endless needs, and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny, and in the name of God.
Last edited by Icefire; January 29th, 2014 at 22:43.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

January 29th, 2014, 22:24
I tried the game a few years back I never got interested. To answer your question yes people have the time. CCP is not kidding when they say players run the game.

Here are two links about some of the events people have done.

1. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10…ts-and-events/
2. http://www.nowgamer.com/mmo-worlds/1…out_there.html

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 29th, 2014, 22:43
I sounded like I was implying people were morons for investing so much time & money into a game. That's not what I meant. I edited the post. I was just like "40 ships which literally take months to build??? DAMN!!"

We satisfy our endless needs, and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny, and in the name of God.

Icefire

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

January 29th, 2014, 23:28
Originally Posted by Icefire View Post
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/535…0-year-history

I don't play or follow MMO's at all, but I saw this on a different forum and was like whoa! Do people actually invest that much time to play a game so that a ship which literally takes months of real-time to build, they have up to 40 of them????? Or are they sinking real money to watch them turn into space dust??
40 of those lost by one side (two sides in a 2200 player battle so I would guess nobody lost more than one). Usually, say, a guild would all contribute to make it and someone 'has it' I would think. I don't think they can buy the ship, but the plans or schematics for it, which they then build from the ground up with lots of resources and real time.

Call me carebear if you want, but that's why I would never even think about joining that fight. Wasting a couple of hours worth of exp in Everquest 1 when I died without rez was upsetting enough, losing months of work and hundreds or thousands of dollars in a battle is definitely out of the question.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

January 29th, 2014, 23:39
People did not necessarily lose money outright unless they got their hardware with real currency. EVE currency and actual real life money are more interchangeable than most MMO currencies.

Personally, I feel such a game model with a chance for losing what you've accumulated is a helluva lot less stagnant than your traditional "raid for x months/years, and repeat ad nauseum with the release of each new expansion and +0.5% power gain". To each their own.

Again, money was not necessarily lost. And building up a fleet over several months' time is little different than building up a character in any other MMO when it comes to time invested. It just so happens that instead of getting bored with the game and your overpowered character, and abandoning the game outright, powercreep/mudflation is instead handled by the game's mechanics.

And who exactly is a "moron" for enjoying a game? Lot of hypocrisy around here.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

January 29th, 2014, 23:41
Eve online is a pretty hardcore pvp game, and as couch mentioned very much run by the players. I enjoy it from time to time but I tend to stay away from pvp and just explore around..it's a pretty beautiful game

Speak your own words of wisdom instead of quoting someone else's.

NyxVampiria

Semidevilish

January 29th, 2014, 23:59
I wish somebody will do fantasy version of EVE. Is that even possible?

As far as I am aware, EVE is the only MMO that has increased its player number each year and its 10 year old game! Thats an amazing feat. I guess the dev know what they are doing.

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

January 30th, 2014, 10:44
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I wish somebody will do fantasy version of EVE. Is that even possible?

As far as I am aware, EVE is the only MMO that has increased its player number each year and its 10 year old game! Thats an amazing feat. I guess the dev know what they are doing.
Not fantasy, but a modern day mmo developed by CCP called World of Darkness online. Having the experience with eve's success I hope they can make WoDo just as "perfect" as eve.

NyxVampiria

Semidevilish

January 30th, 2014, 10:54
Originally Posted by NyxVampiria View Post
Not fantasy, but a modern day mmo developed by CCP called World of Darkness online. Having the experience with eve's success I hope they can make WoDo just as "perfect" as eve.
I almost forgot about that MMO. Last I heard 15 employees were laid off.

Here is the link- http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/12/52…ld-of-darkness

Good news is they calm development is still going on but it's very slow.
"CCP today made strategic adjustments to the staffing on the team working on the World of Darkness project in Atlanta that resulted in the elimination of approximately 15 positions at the company. The change was due to our evaluation of the game's design and ongoing development needs. While this was a difficult decision, CCP remains committed to the franchise and our promise to make a compelling, rich and deep World of Darkness experience."

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 30th, 2014, 14:33
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
I almost forgot about that MMO. Last I heard 15 employees were laid off.

Here is the link- http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/12/52…ld-of-darkness

Good news is they calm development is still going on but it's very slow.
Yes, but they have been hiring new staff since. I'm still feeling very positive about it's future

NyxVampiria

Semidevilish

January 30th, 2014, 20:11
Eve is a fantastic game if you don't care about moment-to-moment gameplay and you don't mind being an accountant for the most part. It's literally the closest thing to pouring time into a black hole as you're likely to find in the MMO space

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » EVE Online massive war.