Risen - X360 Review @ Diehard GameFan

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Diehard GameFan has the most detailed X360 review of Risen I can recall, although their scoring system seems a bit uneven. Ultimately the game is praised for RPG fans but criticised as unappealing to the console mainstream:
Risen is the sort of game that will appeal to diehard fans of the action RPG genre, as there’s enough good elements to the game to make it enjoyable, but it’s more than likely to put off more console-oriented fans because of its obtuse nature and more casual fans because of its stylistic and mechanical issues. The story is interesting and varied enough to keep the game going, the visuals and audio are competent and inoffensive, and the gameplay offers enough variety to be interesting. There’s plenty of variety to the things the player can do, and plenty of challenge to the game all around, and with a long quest and different factions to ally with, there’s plenty of play and replay value for anyone interested in the game. However, console-oriented action RPG fans may well be put off by the often unhelpful quest maps and lack of solid directions to objectives and the unimpressive presentation, while more casual genre fans may be put off by the, “exploration equals death,” mentality, the long time it takes to achieve any sort of notable character development, the lack of attachment to the main character as either a personal avatar or a character in the story, and the general technical issues. If you’re looking for a challenging and time consuming action RPG with some depth and substance and you don’t mind some mechanical issues and presentation flaws, Risen will be worth a look, but anyone looking for something a little more technically competent and polished may find this a bit too flawed and archaic to enjoy.
More information.

On the top:
DieHard GameFAN

On the bottom:
Short Attention Span Summary...

I thought that was funny.
The author is probably right that most people who were weened on something like Fable will have problems with a game like Risen - but you need to give them a chance every now and then, eh?

I thought that was a very good, thorough, fair review. He examined the game in depth and attempted to gauge its appeal to different types of gamers.

I think risen was a great game till the begining of the 3:rd chapter. After that point the storyline lost it's edge and non linear nature. The game transformed into a medicore dungeon crawler. It was fun game to play through once but thruth to be told, Risen offers very little in terms of replay value. I tried replaying it and see how the game would differ if I sided with bandits instead of order, but the whole experience was quite similar. Some parts of the dialog change but otherwise it was same old. Character progression is rewarding still because there is very little level scaling, but don't expect the game to surprise you anymore.

The biggest three flaws in risen:

1. Uninspiring generic characters. They went and hired all those great actors but left the whole thing half baked. You just run from npc to an other hunting quests. It puzzles me how they managed to fail so misserably this time. Gothic 1 and gothic 2 had some of the most memorable npcs I've seen in rpgs.

2. Generic storyline. I loved the order versus bandits setting and the mystery surrounding old ancient temples, but at the end it turned out to be an other world saving tour..how orginal.

3. Flat side quests. Faranga island is beautifully built and it shows that piranhas put their best effort on design. Exploring is quite rewarding. There are tons of small details everywhere and hidden secrets. Spells like levitation take the whole adventure to the next level :) Moreover just like gothic games, gameworld never feels lifeless as npcs have their daily routines etc. However when you dig deeper you come to notice that most sidequests are standard killing jobs or courier runs. There is very little backstory behind most side quests.

Despite all that, its a fun game to play, hopefully they'll put more effort into storytelling next time..

I thought that was a very good, thorough, fair review. He examined the game in depth and attempted to gauge its appeal to different types of gamers.

Yes, but on the other hand I think there is a certain arrogance in the assumption that someone who liked Fable would never want to play anything more complex. I mean when I started out, it was with Marble Madness, Barbarian, and long forgotten shoot-em-ups. Didn't mean I was unable to appreciate more complex games once I discovered them. That said, I agree that it is an OK review.

Gothic 1 and gothic 2 had some of the most memorable npcs I've seen in rpgs.
Which ones? I'm curious.
2. Generic storyline. I loved the order versus bandits setting and the mystery surrounding old ancient temples, but at the end it turned out to be an other world saving tour..how orginal.
I think it does have a bit of originality (there are no elves, no dwarfs, etc.), the bigger problem is that it's undeveloped. It lacks depth and it's too shallow.

Btw, watch out, this place is full of die hard Risen fans. ;)

And even more Gothic fans. ;)
Yeah, and I doubt anyone of these thinks Risen is better than first two Gothics, which is why this
Btw, watch out, this place is full of die hard Risen fans. ;)
assumption is wrong ;).
Fans? Yes. Diehard? Nope.

Anyway, unusually good review, solid analysis of console-oriented action RPG fans as well.

I hadn't realized we'd progressed to a point where exploration-heavy action-RPGs of Gothic/Risen's ilk were considered "hardcore".

How far exactly are we from "push and hold button to win" gaming?

The reviewer more than once referred to Risen as an "action rpg" when in fact the genre class is quite distinctly a "fantasy rpg" - yet another unqualified consolitis slant!

While fantasy is unreal within the real world, the role playing has to be of a believable nature (*believable world") per PB and believable relative to common logic so that the player can use real world logic thinking, linking to morality and alignment verdicts and assumptions to assess and assume the consequences and conclusions within the fantasy (as in all PB games to date)

...all fantasy gamers know of this (or should do) - and so should the reviewer!

Risen an action rpg? - that would put it in the same pigeon-hole category as Diablo? - may the lord have mercy on our gaming souls.

'Action' prefaced to 'rpg' always refers to combat, many of the quests within the Risen storyline can be completed using non-combat method solutions (sneaking, thieving, pick-pocketing, tormenting, persuading etc') while at the same time progressing the game's storyline (quest completion progression) - therefore Risen could never be an action rpg within the purity of that classification - whereas Diablo and similar true action rpg's rely 'mainly' on action-only as the core thrust of game progression.

(no sarcasm intended from me) ;)

It took me 37 hours to finish Risen - that's 32 hours spent fighting and 5 hours spent talking, stealing, etc (and mind you, I resorted to physical violence only when I had to). That's like 80 percent… which means it's an action RPG. 100% action RPGs are called hack & slash.

Both Gothic and Risen are indeed action-RPGs. You spend the majority of the time slaying creatures.

I hadn't realized we'd progressed to a point where exploration-heavy action-RPGs of Gothic/Risen's ilk were considered "hardcore".

How far exactly are we from "push and hold button to win" gaming?
You mean dungeon siege? ;)

I think the term RPG is so nebulous by this point that this action-RPG vs RPG debate can be held for any modernday RPG release, and it's equally pointless for each one. That's why I'd personally argue against excluding a term like action-RPG for Risen, Wulf. Sure it shoehorns it in with Diablo, but there're also game journos out there who just call Diablo "an RPG", so that's kind of unavoidable anyway. Trying to wedge in hard divides between type-Age of Decade to type-Risen to type-Mass Effect to type-Oblivion to type-Diablo is an interesting thought experiment, but without a consensus it's just that; experimenting with definitions. I personally like to talk in terms of hack 'n slash (Diablo), action-RPG (Mass Effect, Risen) and RPG (Dragon Age: Origins, Avernum), but I'm not going to pretend I can point to hard divides between those games or that I can mock up a universal model.

Both Gothic and Risen are indeed action-RPGs. You spend the majority of the time slaying creatures.
While I prefer non-combat heavy RPGs myself, I don't believe that there are many RPGs, where combat doesn't account for more than fifty percent of the time. In other words, your definition makes all RPGs ARPGs.
Edit: And the old "hardcore" RPGs like the goldbox series etc. are more combat heavy than many of today's RPGs.

I think the *type* of combat also has a lot to do with peoples opinions on that matter. Most gamers generally won't refer to it as an action-RPG if it feature turn-based combat. Whether or not that makes sense is a different matter...

To me, an action/RPG is any RPG which requires some degree of player skill - manual dexterity and reflexes. A turn-based RPG needs neither and real-time with pause only some of the latter.

Good review, although I can't verify its accuracy since Risen is still sitting lonely on my shelf. If it weren't for the large paragraph on graphics quality, I'd have read the whole thing. ;)

Back
Top Bottom