Non-party RPGs?

Dungeon Lords Collector`s Edition (that is version 1.5) is actually a decent game and has nothing to do with poor Dungeon Lords demo.
Same goes for Mistmare with the latest patch. Poor reviews are from wannabe RPG players and reviewers put off by the horrible demo. How many players have played this game for more than couple of hours? Not many that I can assure you. I have finished more than three hundred RPGs and Mistmare is definitely in the upper half when considering overall quality and fun. Never said Dungeon Lords CE and Mistmare are very good or even excellent RPGs, but they are certainly worth playing if you already finished all classics in the genre.

Never said Dungeon Lords CE and Mistmare are very good or even excellent RPGs, but they are certainly worth playing if you already finished all classics in the genre.

Fair enough, I might give it a look.

As for DL, I have written way too extensively about it already ... I like it quite a bit, certainly more than the overall quality of the game should warrant ;)

Dungeon Lords Collector`s Edition (that is version 1.5) is actually a decent game and has nothing to do with poor Dungeon Lords demo.

There was a demo for the CE version, too, and, well, let's just say that was the shittiest demo I have ever downloaded in my whole life :biggrin: .

As usually, demo has nothing to do with the real game. It is based on some old beta version.

As usually? So now most demos have nothing to do with the real game? On the contrary most demos are taken from a level (usually the first) of a finished game.

btw: Mistmare sucks!:lol:

I don`t know about you guys but I stopped playing demos of role-playing games since ugh, hm, err Daggerfall.:lol: Demo versions are mostly shitty representations of the real, finished game. Many RPGs aren`t even that interesting until you put a least a dozen hours in them. Dungeon Lords and Mistmare are that kind of games. O.K. you don`t like them but that doesn`t mean someone can enjoy playing them.

btw: Mistmare rules.:biggrin:

I don`t know about you guys but I stopped playing demos of role-playing games since ugh, hm, err Daggerfall.:lol: Demo versions are mostly shitty representations of the real, finished game. Many RPGs aren`t even that interesting until you put a least a dozen hours in them. Dungeon Lords and Mistmare are that kind of games. O.K. you don`t like them but that doesn`t mean someone can enjoy playing them.

btw: Mistmare rules.:biggrin:

So you haven't played a demo for a RPG in a dozen years yet you are speaking to how they do or don't represent the games they are demonstrating ... ?!?!

No I haven`t played through any of them since. But I have tried some of them and deleted all in a couple of hours. I saw almost all RPG demos in action either played by my friends or my brother who usually can`t wait for the final product. I also notice ranting on forums about how low quality most of them really are. I can wait a year or two after the release and enjoy fully patched version of any RPG. No problemo for me.:)

You can call me nuts, but through DEmos I've had a great time - with other games than RPGs.

I was young, very young into computers (mid-90s), when I played a demo of the Micro Machines game. I was playit it together with my younger uncle, and I have rarely had a time when I was laughing THAT much.

I got the full game only a few years ago, I think in 2004, although I found the other Micro Machines games earlier.

The other demo that gave me a great time was the demo of the "Beauty & the Beast" game by Infogrames (then) from the mid-90s. I was actually having fun with it.

Sadly, I found the real game only once ever, without the appropriate amount of money (I was still a student back then), and I haven't seen it since then. Not even on abandonware sites, not on ebay, not on flea markets, nothing.
If someone of you actually has seen it, I'd be grateful for any information (I don't use international ebays, though, only the German one).

So, it largely depends on the demo, how it is made, and how much there is involved. The more complex the demo is, the more likely it might fail.

@Alrik Fassbauer
I totally agree with you. Many games have great demo versions. I am a hardcore RPG player and I rarely play any other genre. But in last fifteen or so years I have played many demo games from different magazine cds/dvds. Arcade, FPS, racing... you name it. A lot of those demos were great fun and I spent many hours playing them but when I bought full versions I was usually disappointed.
So I rarely buy full version of any game that doesn't have at least some RPG elements in it. And I buy all RPGs, good or bad because I am a collector of DOS/Windows/Amiga RPGs.
I just don't like to play RPG demos, because they are usually pathetic IMHO.:)

and Alrik, you mean this game -http://www.gryzonie.dreamhosters.com/staregry/P/beauty_and_beast.rar

Thanks for your reply ... I'm traditionally more into Adventure gamnes (like you I kind of collect them already), and this is the genre I love most. :)

Apart from that I play anything that's fun to me ... except FPS and RTS nowadays.

you might try archangel. the demo is a pretty good example of the game. very light rpg, like dark messiah but its a decent game. the future levels were kinda cool.

Seeing that the majority here at the Watch don't agree with you i think i will give Mistmare a go. Didn't though about it before. ;)

I think i mostly disagree with people here about whats a good game. But it probably depends on what you seek when playing.

Perhaps i should try Dungeon Lord CE if i can find it. TXAs remark about he also liked it, made me think i would probably enjoy it too.

For me, part 5 is actually the worst in the series but still worth playing. :) Check out the links on the first page if someone decide to play this great series.

The series is brilliant, and it's a pity no-one makes genre blending games like this anymore. They were a lot of fun too!!

Back
Top Bottom