Halo

Thaurin

SasqWatch
I just played the trial of Halo for PC, which has one multi-player map and some single-player campaign maps. As I was playing, I was wondering: why all the Halo hate? This game was FUN to play! It could certainly hold up to most of the popular PC FPS games. I didn't find anything that made it inferior just because it was a console shooter. Why the Halo hate? Maybe it's just a matter of taste then, huh?

I sure had more fun with this tonight than Half-Life 2...

I just played the trial of Halo for PC, which has one multi-player map and some single-player campaign maps. As I was playing, I was wondering: why all the Halo hate? This game was FUN to play! It could certainly hold up to most of the popular PC FPS games. I didn't find anything that made it inferior just because it was a console shooter. Why the Halo hate? Maybe it's just a matter of taste then, huh?

Uh oh....hurry up and get your flame suit Thaurin. :lol:

I happen to agree with you 100%. Halo is a great game and it only gets better the further you get into the storyline, which is excellent for a sci-fi shooter. I definitely recommend picking up a copy, the single-player campaign alone is easily worth the purchase price.

Unfortunately the PC elitist around here will be quick to point out its flaws, and quote a dozen different reasons why it's vastly inferior to almost all PC born FPSs.

Yeah, hehe. I did make that sound somewhat imflammatory, didn't I? I guess I had a few beers too many last night. ;) But seriously, Halo Combat Evolved felt like Halo 3 on Xbox 360, and we all know that Halo 3 is the best shooter ever, console or otherwise. ;) I was stunned with the action as several flying vehicles were shooting at each other, leaving trails and tracers, while on the ground three or four people were furiously shooting around. It has its own feel to it and that by itself makes it a noteworthy title.

I do suspect that there may be a few PC bugs in the game.

P.S. Shit. I went past my 666 posts. :(

Still waiting for Halo trilogy pack for PC from Microsoft, but so far haven't heard anything yet, so...

I'm not going into a discussion about this again. See the previous thread for the same discussion, since I doubt we will be able to advance it any further.

I will though write this once again. Games are not about having fun. They are not about arcade shooting like Halo in many ways is. You need to add immaterial, abstract elements to games in order to make them great. Halo fails in this department. Halo does not have different layers of subtleties. Halo doesn't even contribute with "fun" gameplay. I just bought the id Super Pack off Steam and since I've never played the Doom 3 expansion Resurrection of Evil, I'm playing it now. The story is a cliché, but surprisingly the gameplay isn't even fun. I bought Prey some time ago and the story was a complete mess but once again the gameplay was all but fun. I don't think I've ever played such a poor game. And Halo is just that. A popular FPS that isn't even fun. But as I started out with saying, whether or not a game is fun doesn't make it great. It doesn't make it worth talking about it beyond the time invested in playing it.
You really need to make the distinction between entertainment and art. It is fun playing Mine Sweeper and I would probably rate it 4/5 for the fun, but it makes no sense to compare it to Bloodlines (for example). It is not the degree of fun that determines the quality of a game. Mine Sweeper isn't an experience that have an impact on me or brings forth deeper thought, so fun alone doesn't constitute a great game.

But yes, I enjoy my fair share of multiplayer FPS mindlessness, but I don't consider those games as memorable and great video games. I actually play a lot of CoD 2 multiplayer, but it will never be a great game. It will always just be entertainment to me.

All I'm saying is that I don't mind if you like Halo. I don't mind if you tell your friends it is a game they should try and something very stimulating. I would recommend my friends to play CoD 2 multiplayer too, because it is good past time entertainment. But I do mind when it is considered as one of the best games ever made. I do mind when it is seen in the same context as games with a deeper layer and when it even is considered better than those games. The video gaming culture and especially the rating system needs to be revised to accommodate that games designed to be fun should not be viewed in the same category as games designed with abstract themes as the main element. Keep the two things apart and you may praise Halo all you want (Though I would still protest because Halo is not fun :)).

I do not expect that you agree with me, but that is okay too. I'm not interested in spending time debating this again, even though this post turned out longer than originally intended.

You keep saying that I "need" to do this or that and that things "need" to be done. In all realtiy, this is just how you feel. I fully disagree. I don't need to do anything. I my eyes, a great game does not have to be art. The art is just one part of the full package. I can even be of the opinion that Halo does have art in it, a soul. You can disagree with me, but that does not make it fact.

Apparently people have different views about what makes a game great. This is why they place it above games that you would find superior in every way. But declaring what constitutes a great game for everyone else is just as useless as me telling you that Halo is the greatest shooter of all time (which it's not).

It's an incredibly polished fun and that's good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom