Gothic 3 - CP 1.73 Released

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Community Patch Team released another not so small update. The change list is a nice read:
Framework
- Texture/Shadow/Light flickering eliminated (occured on ATI 4xxx serie cards).
- Bug corrected where audio system always cached out sound even if property said "no".
- Some minor bug fixes and improvements.
+ Added czech manual to installer.
- Modding manuals updated.

Graphics
+ HDR Rendering.
+ Soft particles.
+ Improved bloom effect.
+ Leaf subsurface scattering (only with activated Rim Lighting and Shader 3.0).
+ Heat haze. (At minimum Shader 2.0. Always on, exception: few fire places, because the world has not been recompiled).
- Terrain shadows on faraway trees corrected.
- Some texture/material changes.

Dialogs
- Saturas now also hands out his key when the hero talks to him the first time ever after exploring Al Shedim.
+ Some info file parameters added.
+ "Storyhelper" (sh) has more detailed dialog options to increase or decrease reputation.
- Some speech outputs in russian game version corrected.
- The hero now drinks the bottle of booze he gets from Flint.
- Tippler, Hjalte and Garik now drink booze at adequate points of the conversations, Hjalte also eats some meat.
- If Ugolf tells the hero about Tjalf's chest, there's an additional small piece of dialog available after looting the chest.
- Dialog with Masil after cancellation of the quest "Debt and debility" corrected.
+ Subtitles are available now when the hero reads out what he finds at bookstands and stone tablets.

Quests
+ Some quest file parameters added.

Ingame menus
- Icons of cudgel, heavy branch, Nordmarian sword, recipe for mana potion, recipe for Nordmarian sword, recipe for El Bastardo, Meteor and the perk "Take animal skins" corrected or improved, resp.

Items
- It's not possible anymore to get Lester's, Ilja's and Yussuf's temple key and Masil's promissory notes twice.

NPC behaviour
+ New "political" alignment PAL_Pirate. (Not actually in use yet.)
+ NPCs now can react aggressive on armor of other "political" fractions. (Not actually in use yet.)

Perks and magic
+ New scroll "Group Hypnosis".
+ New function "MagicSummonCompanion" for new kinds of summoned companions. (Not actually in use yet.)

Strings
- Some errors in German texts corrected.
- Some errors in Italian texts corrected.

Only with AI switch turned on:
- Whirlwind attacks with two-handed weapons can now be blocked completely.
- A strong hit with two swords will break through a block.

The following fixes will only become effective when a new game is started, but not in already existing save games:
- Sigmor's chest is no "weapon chest" anymore (error from CP 1.70).
- El Bastardo corrected.
- Krush Irmak afflicts damage again
Thanks, Sigmarsson!
More information.

It looks like they're planning on more since their putting in stuff that wasn't implemented.

Am I wrong, but didn't they announce that they were stopping the CP patching? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all they're continuing to upgrade it. I'm just wondering why they decided to keep chugging along.

You know, I played the demo when it first came out, and hated the combat and neon plants so much, that I didn't pick up the full game until recently. I really liked Gothic 2 though.

So do these (and other) patches fix the combat to be at marginally interesting?

Last edited:
You know, I played the demo when it first came out, and hates the combat and neon plants so much, that I didn't pick up the full game until recently. I really liked Gothic 2 though.

Combat hasn't changed all that much, but overall the game has come a long way since the demo.

It looks like they're planning on more since their putting in stuff that wasn't implemented.

Am I wrong, but didn't they announce that they were stopping the CP patching? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all they're continuing to upgrade it. I'm just wondering why they decided to keep chugging along.

No, they indeed said they would stop.

You know, I played the demo when it first came out, and hated the combat and neon plants so much, that I didn't pick up the full game until recently. I really liked Gothic 2 though.

Fixing the combat is beyond the scope of what a community team can do. They improved what they could without making new animations. It's clearly better now, but I still didn't like it. So I decided to play a mage. I got fireball & ice lance and shot everything down. Piece of cake.
Gothic 3 shines in the middle part of the game. Ca. starting with the 3rd city you visit, until way into the desert area. Especially in the desert the old magic sometimes comes back. Then in the cold north the game collapses.

Dunno, I really enjoyed the icy north. It felt like the desert area, while usually my favorite theme in a RPG, was a bit contrived compared to Myrtana. This disagreement highlights what I felt was the major weakness of Gothic 3, too broad a scope to have any cohesion. 1.7x makes it a legitimate game experience though.

Fixing the combat is beyond the scope of what a community team can do. They improved what they could without making new animations. It's clearly better now, but I still didn't like it. So I decided to play a mage. I got fireball & ice lance and shot everything down. Piece of cake.

The demo didn't offer magic spells like that, so I wonder how do you play a mage in G3 if you can't get the spells until much later? Do you play as a warrior at first and then switch over? Or do you have to save up points and runaway from everything until you can get the magic?

I started as an archer.

Well the community patch DOES fix some aspects of the combat. Like the parrying now really makes sense and you cannot beat all the foes by just hacking and hacking. So there is now a place for some tactics too.

Yes, the previous patch was suppose to be THE last one, but they decide to make just another for boosting up the graphics since they were able to it and I'm happy they did. :)

PS. Remember to put Alternative Balancing and Alternate AI ON. It's much better that way.

The demo didn't offer magic spells like that, so I wonder how do you play a mage in G3 if you can't get the spells until much later? Do you play as a warrior at first and then switch over? Or do you have to save up points and runaway from everything until you can get the magic?

Considering the length of the entire game, it's not really that long until you can get some spells.

You can get the Fireball spell almost right away (needs a little Ancient Knowledge, though I can't recall how much), but you won't have enough mana to kill more than a few foes with it untill later on.

Ice Lance is a bit harder to get (from the Druid on the way to Montera I believe), but has the advantage of freezing the opponent, so you can just freeze everyone and then hack'em to bits. Saves a lot of mana, as you only need one spell per enemy (then kill them with a sword/bow/etc).

No, they indeed said they would stop.

I don't know. They said they would stop last time too and they just keep making more :)

I think there has got to be at least one more upgrade. They put in quite a few things that are just there and not in use 'yet'.

You can get the Fireball spell almost right away (needs a little Ancient Knowledge, though I can't recall how much), but you won't have enough mana to kill more than a few foes with it untill later on.

Almost right away? I couldn't get it in the demo. Was I missing something?

I don't know. They said they would stop last time too and they just keep making more :)

I think there has got to be at least one more upgrade. They put in quite a few things that are just there and not in use 'yet'.

I honestly don't think there's going to be another one, not counting possible hotfixes.

This time this will really be our last patch. We just hope, we don't have to hand out a hotfix afterwards.

With AB, it's a little easier to get going as a mage. First, staff fighting is much better with higher damage staves available early on. You still must use melee for the first 12-15 levels but at least you can use a mage like weapon. By level 15 you can get a Skeleton summons to use with your fireball and mana regeneration requirements have been lowered as well. By level 25, my last character (still in Myrtana) had mana regen and was a full on mage. I think that's about the best you can do in G3, there's no way to start as a pure mage in any Gothic game.

Please excuse my ignorance. What is AB?

Alternative Balancing

Their last community patch was 1.70 which made a huge twist to the game. It added two new abilities: Alternative Balancing and Alternative A.I (Artificial Intelligence). The Alternative Balancing makes abilities and skills to crave more learning points and gold. Once a player's skill level on for example strength reaches over 250 it will require extra gold and learning points to learn more. It also balances the armor and weapons stats. The alternative A.I makes the game a bit tougher and harder. When you have it on Easy, only one enemy can attack you at the same time. On medium, only two, and hard only three. It won't help to just spam left click. It requires tactics and timing.

Back
Top Bottom