Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Backlog Review

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Christopher of Endless Backlog finally had the chance to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and finally share his thoughts in a new review he posted on the site.

Player choice is what makes Deus Ex: Human Revolution fun. The removal of that choice is what brings the experience to a grinding halt. I will likely replay the entire game with different augmentations and pick different outcomes for the side missions just to see what happens, but I will dread those static boss battles with every fiber of my being. Maybe they’ll be easier with a more shooter-centric build. See, that’s the joy of Human Revolution: The game is your own to toy with.
More information.

Well written and designed game. The issue of augmentation is treated seriously in the game and game world and not just tacked on.

I did not find the boss fights that game breaking, since the game gave you many ways of killing the bosses.

A true successor to both the original Deus Ex and invisible war.

Well written and designed game. The issue of augmentation is treated seriously in the game and game world and not just tacked on.

I did not find the boss fights that game breaking, since the game gave you many ways of killing the bosses.

A true successor to both the original Deus Ex and invisible war.

Well said. I totally agree. DX:HR is such an amazing feat and one of the best games ever made. And I, too, don't understand the hate for the boss battles. I think a lot of players just weren't very skilled and got mad that the boss battles required you to actually make good use of your gear. But anyway, a brilliant game.

Boss battles were a definite mistake, but the game is still brilliant - and I consider it superior to the original in almost every way.

My biggest issue was with the way they handled energy and those Praxis points - which were too numerous.

I agree that too big a deal was made over the boss battles. They couldn't used some more options, but they didn't hurt the overall experience for me.

It wasn't as memorable for its time as the original Deus Ex was, but, unlike Invisible War, it was a worthy sequel.

Boss battles were a definite mistake, but the game is still brilliant - and I consider it superior to the original in almost every way.

A statement that I don't read that often (if ever), but with which I agree completely. Though the original Deus Ex was an quite an achievement for the time, there's not much to admire nowadays except it's glorious past.
By the way, did you play the Director's Cut? They did change the boss fights, allowing for much more versatility. Of course they are still boss fights, but at least were given an adequate treatment in the newest version.

I heard that the Director's cut version is buggy and they have changed the colour scheme, so I did not bother with it since the boss fights are fine with me and I have the DLC in the original.

I enjoyed this game quite alot. Much more than I expected.

I don't remember having a problem with the boss fights but I did go for a shooter-centric build. A shooter build was a bit weak I thought until about the middle of the game when finally it started to come together. I felt pretty good about the build in the end parts. Even then tho I couldn't go in guns-a-blazing, The balance was good in this one.

I played this game maybe 6 months ago for the first time, it was pretty good. I'm sure I'll revisit it again at some point, maybe take a different approach on a few things. Would totally recommend it to others.

I heard that the Director's cut version is buggy and they have changed the colour scheme, so I did not bother with it since the boss fights are fine with me and I have the DLC in the original.

I didn't notice bugs, but I can't be sure about that. About the colour scheme I didn't notice any difference. If you mean the yellow filter, it remains the same.

A statement that I don't read that often (if ever), but with which I agree completely. Though the original Deus Ex was an quite an achievement for the time, there's not much to admire nowadays except it's glorious past.
By the way, did you play the Director's Cut? They did change the boss fights, allowing for much more versatility. Of course they are still boss fights, but at least were given an adequate treatment in the newest version.

I haven't played much of DC yet, but I'll get around to replaying the entire game eventually.

It was buggy upon release - but they fixed it up pretty quickly. I don't see any difference in the color scheme, so I don't know what you're talking about.

It was buggy upon release - but they fixed it up pretty quickly. I don't see any difference in the color scheme, so I don't know what you're talking about.

It was one of the big complaints about the DC version on the Steam forums; its the yellow filter that MigRib mentioned - maybe they fixed it with a patch.

It was one of the big complaints about the DC version on the Steam forums; its the yellow filter that MigRib mentioned - maybe they fixed it with a patch.

AFAIK, that's not part of the DC changes. I seem to remember it being some mod that was released or something.

But I could be wrong, as I haven't really paid attention to the color scheme.

AFAIK, that's not part of the DC changes. I seem to remember it being some mod that was released or something.

But I could be wrong, as I haven't really paid attention to the color scheme.

Yes, I think that's it. There was an unfortunate mod that removed the yellow filter, turning that beautiful scenario into a typical not-really-far-removed-future.

I haven't played much of DC yet, but I'll get around to replaying the entire game eventually.

If you have the DC already it deserves taking the time to replay it. Not only because there are a few noticeable changes in the boss fights, but also it includes the DLC Missing Link. If you have to buy it, though, it's a different matter.

Dartagnan is right, the lack of yellow filter was an unfornanate choice, yes, but made by a game modder. The Director's Cut version has a main difference, the boss fights. Maybe something else, but I didn't notice it.

The DC also has that wonderful energy change that gives you two bars that recharge, instead of one. That means you can use some of the fun powers without stressing out about energy waste.

That was a big problem in the original game for me, and it didn't help matters that the energy bars took up vast amounts of space in the inventory.

While the overall game was brilliant, there were a few weak design decisions here and there.

If you have the DC already it deserves taking the time to replay it. Not only because there are a few noticeable changes in the boss fights, but also it includes the DLC Missing Link. If you have to buy it, though, it's a different matter.

I bought it upon release :)

As I said, I'll get around to it eventually. Too many good games to play and more coming up. I'm not big on replaying games in general, but I know I'll replay this one at some point.

I bought it upon release :)

As I said, I'll get around to it eventually. Too many good games to play and more coming up. I'm not big on replaying games in general, but I know I'll replay this one at some point.

Replaying games isn't my cup of tea also, but lately with so much isometric turn-based-strategy-party-based BS labeled as RPG I've been forced to replay a couple (or maybe three or four couples) of games. Hope that fad ends this year though, it has extended its welcome too far, even if 90 por cent of it is still in alpha, beta or some other early stage of development...

Back
Top Bottom