I love a story with a happy ending.

Do you really expect the right to point a weapon at a police officer after being ordered not to? Is that really the kind of freedom you want? That's just silly, Mike, and you know it.

But wait ... That is EXACTLY what the NRA/GOP wants! All people, all guns, all the time, no limits!

Those cops were violating his 2nd amendment rights!

Well, Mister Spokesman for the NRA, I'd say you're stacking misrepresentation on top of silly now. What is up with you these days, Mike? You used to be very reliable for some well-considered opinions, but these days you've traded it in for pointless insults and empty talking points.

I would say the lesson here really has nothing to do with guns. The lesson here is that when the cops tell you to do something, it's wise to comply. Further, if the cops tell you to drop something that even remotely could be a weapon, failure to comply could be mortal stupidity. Nothing to do with guns or gun culture.
The problem is, due to the expectations (the mindset) of the police officer, the boy had no leeway for error. If the BBC description above is correct, he was strolling along, heard someone repeatedly shouting something like "Freeze! Drop the gun!" behind him, and when he was turning to see what the hell was going on, he was already dead - because the policeman had every reason to believe that a 13 year old kid could indeed have gotten hold of (e.g. his dads legally owned) an automatic weapon. That's why this ended deadly.

This exact same scenario could have occurred if we replaced the toy gun with a toy knife or a toy bow-n-arrow, but that wouldn't be nearly as useful to the campaign, would it.
I hope even in the U.S. the police would stop short of shooting someone turning around with a knife in hand (while at a still safe distance) or at shooting anyone with a toy bow-and-arrow, period.

Last edited:
Well, Mister Spokesman for the NRA, I'd say you're stacking misrepresentation on top of silly now. What is up with you these days, Mike? You used to be very reliable for some well-considered opinions, but these days you've traded it in for pointless insults and empty talking points.

I'm sorry - I was trying to be outrageous and flippant, but on my phone I can only deal with typing so much :)

I honestly was just saying that we have a conundrum: the extreme right IS very vocal that ANY gun control attempt is unacceptable. And at the same time we have become so militarized that a kid with a toy on the street who is simply walking to a friends house and hears a cop shouting and doesn't even register until the second time what is going on and then starts to turn and is gunned down brutally.

Can there be any real debate that we have a serious gun-based violence problem? I mean, why don't they have non-lethal solutios at hand? Also, exactly how reliable are police as witnesses? They have a very self-serving interest to make a case, and an entire legal system that will be biased to back them up.

THAT is why even as there are continued reiterations of the legality of taping police in action, that they destroy property (phones and cameras), detain innocent citizens fior filming, and occasionally beat the crap out of them. Why? Because with transparency comes accountability.

As for insults - if someone goes around calling things 'gay' in 2013, they are a homophobe. If someone tries to make claims based on genetic difference based on color of skin, they are an (ill-informed) racist. Those are not insults, they are descriptors ... like calling me white or middle aged or male. I am all for respectful dialogue.

if someone pointing a gun threateningly at me, I will no doubt want to shot them first if I could regardless I am wearing the uniform or the other party. It is just self defence. What the heck has this to do with gun rights. However, I don't know enough details in this case.

On the other hand, uniforms with trigger-happy fingers are not uncommon. Overreacting when they see others having gun is an understatement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nuoPPZa_k

For the gun-freers, one of the three most basic rule of gun safety: Never point a gun at something you don't intend to distroy…for your own safety as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom