Best premise/Most immersion

On the theme horror games, here's a list of the ones I have played if anyone wishes to know more. Note that horror games aren't necessary immersive.

I have finished:
* Alien vs Predator 2
* Alone in the Dark 1-5
* Bioshock 1-2
* Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Universe
* Clive Barker's Jericho
* Clive Barker's Undying
* Cold Fear
* Condemned 1-2
* Darkseed 1-2
* Dead Space
* Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil
* Elvira 1-2
* Eternal Darkness: Sanitys Requiem
* F.E.A.R 1-2 +Expansions
* Half Life 1-2 +Episode 1-2
* I Have no Mouth and I must scream
* Obscure 1-2
* Penumbra 1-3
* Phantasmagoria 1-2
* Prey
* Resident Evil 0-5 + Codename: Veronica X
* S.T.A.L.K.E.R + Clear Sky + Call of Pripyat
* Sanitarium
* Scratches
* Silent Hill 0-5 + Orphan
* Siren: Blood Curse
* System Shock 1-2
* The Suffering 1-2
* They Hunger series (for Half-Life)
* Vampire: Bloodlines
* Vampire: Redemption
* Waxworks

On hold:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Black Mirror 1-2
Blair Witch Project I-III
Clock Tower 1-3
Fatal Frame 1-4
Haunting Ground
Pathologic
Realms of the Haunting
Nocturne

Valkyrie Profile sets a great mode... the intro is one of the best ones..... and very interesting and unusual story.....

- Gothic is pretty good, the whole prison colony thing works out very well.
- PS:T has been mentioned already. No harm in mentioning it again. Great start.
- I also like the start of Mask of the Betrayer a lot, especially the narrator does an excellent job of describing the situation.

I could never play horror-themed games ...

Some titles I remember vividly for their immersiveness:

• Freelancer
  • Deus Ex
  • System Shock 2
  • UFO: Enemy Unknown aka XCOM
  • Syndicate
  • Gothic 1+2
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces
  • Planescape: Torment

Honorable mentions:

- Bioshock had an incredible beginning, but after a while I got lost in all the shooting and didn't care anymore.
- VtM: Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, but compared to the ones in the list above, I didn't get sucked in that deeply.

I haven't played some of the titles mentioned in this thread. Guess I should check them out!

If we are going that far back then I will add the Wing Commander games to my list :)

Immersion ? I think I should add my obligatory "Zanzarah" here … ;)

And although drawn, I found some adventures also quite immersive … like Simon The Sorcerer I :)

But I guess it's all a matter of taste, oo. ;)

Some people get more immersed into some sorts of games than others, I guess. ;)

mount and blade for a game not already mentioned. the chaos and carnage of the battlefield is quite immersive. the horses kick up dust. people including yourself getting knocked off said horses. finding yourself impaled by a joust or arrow/bolt out of nowhere. the sieges are even more heightened especially on the defensive end.

Yeah, Wing Commander was FANTASTIC in terms of immersion, and it was the first "space sim" that truly gave me that Star Wars sensation.

But, you know what was even better - and to me represents the best space game of my experience:

Privateer

Damn, I miss games like that. Why the hell did they stop making them? Because of the joystick thing? How can people NOT like space games?

Hmm the series are named Wing Commander and one of them was Wing Commander Privateer.

I still have the discs of it lol .

http://privateer.sourceforge.net/
http://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml

They utilised the name, which was a wise move. I believe the engine was more or less exactly the same.

But, IIRC - the lead guy behind Wing Commander was Chris Roberts, and the lead guy behind Privateer was his brother.

That's what my memory tells me, anyway.

Erin Roberts striked again with Starlancer

And nobody arrested him for this annoying piece of shame ... i almost broke my monitor on the 4nd mission , then sang the international and uninstall it .
Freelancer is all about MP , lots of lunatics still playing in various servers .
The world was so static and plastic and i couldn't immerse , even when RPing a Corsair or a Zoner.

Priv 2 was crap too ...

I don't know if it counts since it isn't an RPG but 1st Call of Juarez really sucked me into it's wild western world .

JemyM Haunting ground you mean the console survival game with the big tit character ? just amazing
Yeah. I haven't played it yet. Just note that list was about horror games, not atmosphere though. Usually horror = atmosphere, which is why I posted that list, but this is not always the case. In other words, whether HG is atmospheric or not I cannot tell.

Which reminds me about ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, two other titles I have yet to play, but the first part of ICO was mesmerizing.

Just about any first person game is pretty immersive, IMHO, from Doom onward. (And 3D glasses help that immersion, too.)

As for premise…
Sacrifice: You're a wizard working for some feuding gods, you create monsters and pull the souls out of enemy monsters.

Dungeon Keeper: You're a DM trying to keep your dungeon profitable and hero-free.

Planescape: Torment: You don't know what you are but you're in a city between the planes.

City of Heroes: You're a hero in a city filled to the brim with super-heroes.

Populus: You're a god trying to grow your civilization.

Which reminds me about ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, two other titles I have yet to play, but the first part of ICO was mesmerizing.
I heard they are doing HD versions of both games which might be enough to get me to play them again. I loved both games and though the lack of english helped in the immersion. While everyone is doing colossus like environments now it was really cool the first time I played through it.

I heard they are doing HD versions of both games which might be enough to get me to play them again. I loved both games and though the lack of english helped in the immersion. While everyone is doing colossus like environments now it was really cool the first time I played through it.

I have been waiting on the PS2 emulator to be good enough. Perhaps it is now, but despite having a 4ghz (oc) i7 and 2x480GTX, SoC crawled last time I tried.

I have a genuine PS2, but the promise of being able to play PS2 games in HD is enough for me to wait another couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom