Blackguards - Review @ Gamespot

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamespot is the next site to review Blackguards, and award the game with a 7/10.

Blackguards is the kind of game that's best enjoyed on a second playthrough. And there's the big question: is it worth suffering through all this a second time? It all depends on your devotion to the demands of its gameplay. Even a tumble through the first two chapters yields enough experience to justify starting over on normal difficulty, while a full playthrough should prepare most players for the seeming impossibilities awaiting on hard. And if you like a good story? The quality of Blackguards' story is generally good enough to justify tinkering with different choices to see how they lead to different outcomes. But make no mistake: this is a game aimed at the hardcore crowd seeking a good struggle above all else, and on that front, it mostly delivers.
More information.

This game has some cool elements and the presentation is cool if you want a focus on tactical combat but early on the combat puts me to sleep because you miss so much and/or your spells fail so much that it draws out the battles for far too long.

I'd imagine it gets better later but I'm not inspired to play enough to find out (and/or I literally fall asleep while playing...sleeping more would help but it's kind of a good way to judge how good games are...if they'll keep you awake they must be good?)

I'm not sure what the point is in making the characters so feeble to start when tactical combat is the ONLY thing really going on in the game.

I restarted with a mage when the game came out. Honestly, I don't know why people are saying the miss rate early on is so high. My miss rate was somewhere between 20% and 40%, not more.

You will probably miss a lot in the early game when your stuck with weapons your no proficient with such as torches ( mace skill)

8 seems to be the magic number for weapon and magic skill points you will hit much more after that.

Back
Top Bottom