Shadowrun Returns - GenCon Updates

What's an example of a game like this that offers that?

Well, high profile 2D games are extremely rare these days, but in the past it was different.

Mech Commander Gold is a good example from the past.

There's no reason it can't be done with 2D - but pretty much everything is 3D these days and has been for many years.

Hand-painted style with that level of detail takes a huge amount of work to animate with any detail. I've seen it used in other games - and it invariably results in a few cells for each animation.

Unless, of course, they chose that style because they wanted a major workload - and not because they wanted to make it economically feasible to pull off.

I think it's visually jarring and I think it meshes very poorly with the Cyberpunk backdrop - based on the screenshot. Almost like having cartoon characters in a dystopian setting.

Not only fewer cells in animation. But probably characters that dont change related to the equipment they are wearing.

How much I love 2D animation (i am 2d animator myself) i think they would be better off making 3d animation that just looks like hand painted.

I haven't followed this game at all, since I know virtually nothing about the universe but for some reason this art really sings to me. Which is odd because it's so unlike the style I usually enjoy. Normally I detest the fat character, bright color, JRPG on a playstation look but this transcends that somehow.

Kudos to the artist and the team.

Not only fewer cells in animation. But probably characters that dont change related to the equipment they are wearing.

How much I love 2D animation (i am 2d animator myself) i think they would be better off making 3d animation that just looks like hand painted.
They already said that the actual characters are 3D.

True, but they also said "We’ve done a number of tests and the 2D/3D mix feels very natural." If the art was just being done in 3D for convenience, but would be served up as 2D frames in the final product, I don't see why they would say that.

Already answered in the original post:

"which allows them the fluid movement and wide range of character design and equipment options you’d expect from an RPG"

True, but they also said "We’ve done a number of tests and the 2D/3D mix feels very natural." If the art was just being done in 3D for convenience, but would be served up as 2D frames in the final product, I don't see why they would say that.

There's no way of knowing what their definition of "2D/3D mix" is until we see it.

Seriously, can't you all wait for an actual screenshot before tearing the thing down? :p

Back
Top Bottom