Drakensang - UK Release Date PR

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameBanshee received a press release from Eidos, confirming this Friday the 27th as the release date for Drakensang in the UK:
Eidos Interactive unveils Drakensang: The Dark Eye – an epic RPG for PC due out 27th March 2009

Wednesday 25th March/... Eidos Interactive can confirm today that Drakensang: The Dark Eye, published by DTP Entertainment and distributed by Eidos Interactive in the UK, will be released nationwide on 27th March 2009. Already a smash hit in Germany, where Drakensang: The Dark Eye (which translates as ‘Dragon song’) is a beautifully crafted, single player role-playing game (RPG) which offers a huge and engrossing campaign plus an intuitive combat system set within the mythical medieval world of Aventuria.
More information.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye (which translates as ‘Dragon song’)

*shakes head*

They felt they had to translate this ?

And meanwhile totally untranslated English titles hit the German market ?

Well, that's definitively a pro if one is a member of world's most dominant language ...

Cool, should keep me busy once I get back from holiday. Unless mysteries of westgate is out first of course.

So, how many non-Chinese speak that?

About 20-30 million. But that's made up for by the sheer numbers of Chinese that speak it - far more of them than there are secondary English speakers.

Do you have any numbers to support what you claim? Uk - Canada - Australia - USA that's about 400 millions people. Add to that all the former english colony where english is very widely taught... like India or Nigeria. And the european, asian countries where it is the second language of choice...

I went on wikipedia to check this out. They indicate that chinese is spoken by approximately 1.176 billion while estimates for the english language vary wildly but can be up to 1.8 billion.

無論在何種語言 Drakensang仍然是一個相當shitty遊戲。

無論在何種語言 Drakensang仍然是一個相當shitty遊戲。

不管怎么样在什么语言: Drakensang是一场巨大比赛。

So anyway - why is UK always late to the party? Most games I've paid attention to, they're always the last to get the release - at best, they're on the same day as everyone else.

Alrik said:
They felt they had to translate this ?

And meanwhile totally untranslated English titles hit the German market ?

It's translated for PR, not for release. I also fail to see what's wrong with that, unless you believe as many English gamers speak German as German gamers speak English?

So anyway - why is UK always late to the party? Most games I've paid attention to, they're always the last to get the release - at best, they're on the same day as everyone else.

I was wondering about this m'self. It always seems to come down to the UK having another publisher, but why?

It's not that common, by the by.

Hey, rejoice; it's not even being released down here!!

Hey, rejoice; it's not even being released down here!!
Same in NZ (naturally). It's crazy.
Though you can buy it in some NZ web-stores as a "special import shipment", with those stores confirming that "the game has no release date for NZ".

I'm glad I managed to get the GamersGate version when I did.

Today I read an interview with Bono of U2 in the local newspaper. You can read it online here: http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1233584171654.shtml

The thing that surprised me is that he has a shawl or scarl on which a poem by German Poet Rielke is printed on. The interview says he had been wearing it "during the inauguration of Obama", so that everyone could see it.

The question, which one it really is, answers Bono: "Die achte Elegie". That'Äs the title of the poem.

But the - to me - most interesting part of the whole interview is the answer to the last question, which I translate here:

KSTA: „What fascinates you of Rielke ?“

Bono: „I love his nature poems, like the ‘achte Elegie“. My favourite translations of Rielke in the English [language] derive from Robert Hunter, one of the song writers of Grateful Dead. He has learned German [language] only to be able to read and translate Rielke in the original. That is something one can could a passionate admirer. I was never a big fan of Grateful Dead. But I have read meanwhile different translations of Rielke, [and] the ones by Hunter inspire me most.“

Can somebody clue me in as to why the game has been released in the US, but not simultaneously in other English speaking counties? It makes no sense, IMO.

Different publishers. Each has his own business strategy.

Yes, never assume malignity when stupidity can be the answer!

Back
Top Bottom