Dungeon Siege 3 - Spells and Empowerment Video

For a simple hack & slash aRPG it's a good game. Terrible M&kb controls and funky UI but still, a good game for what it tries to be. It's not a hardcore cRPG game of course.

If they patch the controls and the terrible camera angle, it could be a good aRPG.
One thing I can't understand, the narrow corridor map desing. That is awful.

The corridors are presumably only for the beginning/tutorial part of the game. In Giantbomb's quicklook video they show off a later part of the game that has plenty of areas to explore.

Won't consider until they fix the controls.

Exactly, the game is unplayable in its current state in my opinion since the attack always attacks in the same direction where the camera is facing, regardless where the enemy is. Also, targeting is much worse than Witcher 2, which was forgivable in most part.

The game reeks of console. I truly beleive that consoles are slowly disassembling rpgs. And yes the controls are that bad. Its like everything moves in boxes, theres no fluidity.

Exactly, the game is unplayable in its current state in my opinion since the attack always attacks in the same direction where the camera is facing, regardless where the enemy is. Also, targeting is much worse than Witcher 2, which was forgivable in most part.
I call bullshit.
You must be trolling because targeting on the PC is very precise for melee combat. Ranged combat isn't quite as precise but it is definitely possible to target enemies regardless of camera position.

I think most people just don't get that this is an arcade hack'n'slash RPG and that you need actual player skills for the game. It's also the best control scheme for this sort of game on the PC that I have seen so far. I am shocked by the number of people that don't understand it.

I really doubt this doubt this game was targted for PC. If i want to grab that pile of gold thats an inch away from my charater i have to slowly rotate the camera to the direction that feels right for me . Feels rigid a choppy . No TLC for keybord and mouse. Sacred 2 camera was much smoother.

I have played the demo with mouse and keyboard. First impressions are terrible because we, the PC gamers expected Diablo style gameplay. But actually there's a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance in front of us. Actually i was getting used to the controls after a while, and I have more control over my character than a typical Diablo style RPG has. Controls also reminded me Nox. Story telling seems good so far. And characters seems interesting. Graphics are average. It's the first game that made with Onyx engine (Engine made entirely by Obsidian) By the way, I had the aspect ratio problem (4:3 or 16:10 formats not supported in the game, black bars on the screen), but with a little ini tweak I overcame that. My only remaining problem is the coridor style environments, terrible trend that came to us with Dragon Age 2. I hope it won't be the case for the full game.

Definitely not a masterpiece or something, but not terrible IMHO. Above avarage. I'm going to buy that to support Obsidian, anyway. I hope they will have the rights and money to make Icewind Dale 3 in the future.

I call bullshit.
You must be trolling because targeting on the PC is very precise for melee combat. Ranged combat isn't quite as precise but it is definitely possible to target enemies regardless of camera position.

I think most people just don't get that this is an arcade hack'n'slash RPG and that you need actual player skills for the game. It's also the best control scheme for this sort of game on the PC that I have seen so far. I am shocked by the number of people that don't understand it.

Actually no, this is my impression on how the mechanics worked in the demo. Theres no need for name calling.

It's also the best control scheme for this sort of game on the PC that I have seen so far.

I totally agree with you about controls. My initial reaction about it was "what the .. is that?" But after a while I understood that it's the most appropriate control sheme for the PC. With all that dodging, spinnning and blocking fightings are very fun.

Actually I could't wait for the 17th June release and downloaded the pirated version :biggrin: , I have played the areas beyond demo and I can say the game is much more than demo in case of strory telling, characters and areas. I preordered my copy right after seeing the full version.

Gokyabgu said:
I totally agree with you about controls. My initial reaction about it was "what the .. is that?" But after a while I understood that it's the most appropriate control sheme for the PC. With all that dodging, spinnning and blocking fightings are very fun.

I am glad at least someone here agrees with me on the combat and controls. In my opinion they are the best I have ever seen for this sort of game and I can't believe Obsidian actually pulled it off to improve the hack'n'slash genre. It is shocking to see that many people are so stuck in the past that they are unwilling to try out a somewhat new control scheme.

Improved the hack/slash genre?

Wow….

Now, how it controls is the least of my problems with DS3 - but having it be "ok" to expect people to own and use a controller is just… amazing.

It's a PC. People have been using mouse/kb for this genre since… Nethack.

If there was a good reason to use a controller except for incredibly lazy PC attention, then that would be one thing. Flight Sims come to mind here.

DS3 is a lazy port in terms of controls, and that's all there is to it.

Neither am I. It's fine once you get the hang of it. Completed it today, doing a 2nd run through it now.

I'll write something of a summary/opinions thing tomorrow. :)

Back
Top Bottom