What games are you playing now?

Dark Messiah isn't really much like the old Might and Magics, Gig. It was made by the Arx Fatalis guys, and probably has more in common with that game--I haven't played it (too old and too sloppy for the FPS mode ;) ) but a lot of people have like it.

Yeah, the Legends titles sucked. :(

Last edited:
I've been doing searches for DM and I gotta say, it-looks-like-a-blast! I loved Arx Fatalis at the time it came out, it was the only thing around that gave me even an inkling of that old Gothic feeling I had been missing. I loved the casting system in Arx -- drawing the rune in air while chanting it's name -- that really drew me in. So even if Dark Messiah isn't exactly like the old M&M games that's ok. I've never really needed rigid adherence to a specific form factor, in fact I kind of like it when they shake things up a little. Besides, DM could be a Morrowind clone, and a bad one at that and I wouldn't care. The M&M RPG franchise was cancelled by the original publisher so they could focus on Heros of Might and Magic. They wanted to move their fanbase to the Heros brand as it was cheaper to develop and they didn't want to work on two properties. I can still remember the article when it was announced. Just the fact that someone has the rights now and is making single player RPGs with it is a step in the right direction I think. :)

Last edited:
I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Not an RPG, dearie. Iz a shooter with a few RPG elements. Think Diablo in first person. Not saying that's a bad thing (well, it is for me, but that's neither here nor there), but wouldn't want you expecting something the game is not.

Ok... Gotcha! Switch gears from Arx Fatalis to System Shock 2. Nope, still interested, ;) not that I really know why, I don't have anywhere near the time to devote this that I would need... :[

I have a review for it somewhere in the queue here ... I think it is controversial enough that once it posts there will be plenty of debate from both sides which will help you figure out whether or not you'll like it.

dm doesn't have much in common with arx fatalis... arx is rpg, dm is just another shooter...

ok... maybe it's not just another shooter, but it most certainly is shooter... if you like shooters with few rpg elements, you'll like dark messiah...
btw freelancer rocks!

I've heard DMoMM is a very fun and well-made game. Just not an RPG. We're not trying to discourage the purchase at all, just make sure you know what you're buying.

To topic, I'm still chugging thru UFO:ET. What a great game. Not perfect by any stretch, but an excellent revival of XCom. I haven't stuck with a game for this long in quite a while. I think I got a little more hopped up over the Puzzle Quest demo, but I sucked all the life out of it pretty quickly. UFO has stamina.

I just finished UFO:ET

I'm playing Silverfall again now that finals are done to finish it off. I'll read and respond to TXA's review after I'm finished but I'm liking it ok. Laggy but ok.

I may try the Open Source UFO: Alien Invasion but I'm thinking of submitting something to Bioware's latest contest or trying out something with the d20mm mod for NWN1 now that there's a stable release.

I've been messing with the U6 Project M3. If you like Lazarus, you'll enjoy this; can't wait till they finish the full game!!

Not sure why people are calling Dark Messiah a "shooter", it's definitely not a shooter. I guess it would fall into the action rpg or action adventure category with a heavy emphasis on action. The game was pretty much crap when it was first released, but after 2 patches it's a pretty fun game.

Gig,
I think you might like DM, you should give it a try. You can already find it for as low as $19.99 in some places.

btw: Where are you from in FL? I grew up in Punta Gorda(just North of Fort Myers)

I felt DMoMM to be a decent timewaster. Most of the things it had was so-so. The graphics was decent, not great. The melee system was ok, not as good as Condemned. The RPG system was poor but at least something. The story was cliché, easy to understand and easy to forget. The game was superlinear so playing it was like watching a half-decent fantasy movie for thoose who enjoy that stuff and can overlook the flaws.

Not sure why people are calling Dark Messiah a "shooter", it's definitely not a shooter. I guess it would fall into the action rpg or action adventure category with a heavy emphasis on action. The game was pretty much crap when it was first released, but after 2 patches it's a pretty fun game.
You're kinda splitting hairs, aren't you? You swing a sword and cast spells rather than pulling a trigger on a gun, but the basic concept is the same--use twitch reflexes to kill most anything that moves. Around here, any first person twitch game gets the FPS label.

btw: Where are you from in FL? I grew up in Punta Gorda(just North of Fort Myers)
Space Coast now, but I was born and raised in Miami.

Since Charley everyone knows Punta Gorda. I have family in Pasco County so I do get over to the Gulf from time to time, but never that far south. :) How long have you been away? We can pick up this conversation over in the "Long Ago and Far Away" thread if you'd like it to continue. That way we won't derail this thread. :)

JemyM said:
The game was superlinear so playing it was like watching a half-decent fantasy movie for thoose who enjoy that stuff and can overlook the flaws.
Thanks, that puts it in perspective. I've come to realize that I really need to follow my own intuition when it comes to games. I guess I'm a reasonably odd duck on the subject. There have been a few titles that absolutely everyone but me has loved and some I truely enjoyed that made everyone else cringe. :lol:

Around here, any first person twitch game gets the FPS label.
As you and I have discussed many times, my own internal definition is different. To me, any game that lets me level and build my character is an RPG. POV and combat style are irrelevant. ;)

I've come to realize that I really need to follow my own intuition when it comes to games. I guess I'm a reasonably odd duck on the subject.
I tend to find that many of us here have fairly eclectic tastes - there may be some points of intersection, but it is like music or other art ...

As you and I have discussed many times, my own internal definition is different. To me, any game that lets me level and build my character is an RPG. POV and combat style are irrelevant. ;)
I believe that going in to DMoMM thinking of it as a RPG will set you up for disappointment - looking at it as a visceral action game will allow the RPG elements to be more fun.

Back
Top Bottom