The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

So I assume we'll do a DA run, or something else on epics, then switch back to our regular Friday toons?

I was thinking the same thing....

Just a reminder that Friday is Valentine's Day here in the USA. I will likely be late, if I'm able to make it at all. I won't know till I make it or not, unfortunately.

Lots of layoffs at Turbine:
http://www.thelayoff.com/turbine

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/436264-How-will-Turbine-layoffs-impact-DDO

Turbine have fired a lot of their staff (100+) including about 50% of the DDO development team. It's said that DDO and LOTRO will go into maintenance mode after the next few updates already long into development. So don't expect any more updates of DDO by the end of the year.

This will probably only speed up the decline of DDO we have seen the last year or so. I have a feeling that we might have to look at a new MMO to jump to in a few years.

Well the layoffs have affected the game already....the client is not loading for anyone and they are "working on it". Who are the "they" if everyone got fired?

I'm in fine. Load to red, but what's new.

I wouldn't ring the DOOOOM bell just yet. Remember that there was a massive cutback after Eveningstar shipped and rumors of imminent demise proved overblown.

The cutback after Eveningstar was the temporary people they hired to get the expansion out. This time they have cut people being on the game since it originally created.

The creator famous for e. g. Rainbow in the dark is just one example of the core developers being laid off.

Rainbow is one of my least favourite dungeons!! :)

I'm not surprised to be honest. MotU damaged the DDO community, splitting the population and angered a number of subscribers, many of which claimed they quit over it. U19 damaged the underlying mechanics, weakening greatly one of the core strengths of DDO; build versatility.

It's pretty obvious that the population dropped after MotU significantly, and again after U19. From discussions elsewhere on the 'net, LotRO likewise was impacted heavily by the same style management. Asheron's Call has been in Maintenance Mode for ages, I doubt it'll be heavily impacted.

Add in the dismal reception new players receive, between the load to red on first log in, and numerous issues like the never-ending ladder bug and the horrible lag. They can't be growing the player base like that.

I've been checking out new MMOs, but unfortunately, none have either the build versatility nor the active playstyle everyone seems to enjoy. Sadly, Neverwinter seems to suck. I expected it, it is based on 4E D&D. With 5E still in the works, I doubt it'd be converted to MMO for 4-5 years, if at all with the failure of DDO and Neverwinter.

It's sad, reportedly 100 people got the axe, pretty much entirely from LotRO and DDO. Infinite Crisis, aptly named for Turbine, is probably safe since it's a WB IP and theoretically a strong one. Then again, DDO and LotRO should have been shoe ins for a strong MMO IP, but Turbine mismanaged them from day 1.

Someone suggested buying the rights and code to DDO actually. I doubt that could be done, since to release it legally, you'd need to negotiate with Hasbro/WotC, who is likely to not want competition for NWO.

I did (re)discover the U6 Online game. http://ultimasixonline.thezogcabal.com/ I don't know if 8 people can group together on that, or even if everyone in the guild likes Ultima 6. There is also the former EUO: http://euotopia.com/ This is closer to U4/5 than 6, but I played it back in the day, maybe about 6 years ago.

I have not played either recently, so I won't swear about how they play these days.

Az, you do remember that one of our team was a major developer for the U6 Archon project while another was also a part of the team if in a more humble capacity!! :) Oh, and Neverwinter isn't really too bad; I've been enjoying it, though it's not as good as DDO in most ways!!

I think you'd better plan on me not being there tonight. If I make it, it will be late.

That leaves us 6. I wonder if each of those 6 has a toon ready for TR. If we have to run epics again, so be it, but I'd prefer to do something different if it's possible.

Make that 5, sorry. Usual last minute from sis.

Dte, Cm and I have TR'ed some toons and got them up to level 5. Aletys has a level 5 too. With Azrael out early and Corwin gone then maybe we can work on the level 5's after Azrael has to go. While he is there we can run epics like continuing in Sschindylryn or do Devil Assaults VON 3 or something

If you want the XP, this might be a good time to run VON 3. I understand it's going to be cut in half the next update. & it's kind of fun to run.

Also, there's a 15% guild renown boost going this weekend, so would be a good time to get in some group runs for those who are available.

Back
Top Bottom