Underworld - New Version Release

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
Some of you may remember the recent Indy release of a game in the style of Might and Magic 2 and early Wizardries called Swords and Sorcery Underworld from small developer Classic Games Remade. Many were concerned about the underwhelming quality of the graphics and gave the game a miss. However, a new version 1.04 has just been released and while the graphics won't win any prizes, they have been markedly improved.
I've just finished playing the game and a review is forthcoming. It's definitely an Old School dungeon crawl, but if you've been complaining that they don't make them like they used to, and you can handle fairly basic graphics, then do yourself a favour and at least try the free demo. The game is basically bug free and fun to play. All details can be found at the website; just follow the link.
More information.

Very nice. I have been following this game's development progress, and it has come a long way since the beta release. I encourage everyone to check it out.

Been playing this one as well. The initial release was still a little (too) rough. But while it's still not going to win any awards for its graphics, there's a fun old-school dungeon crawly game in there.

I'm not thrilled about the Wall/Map graphics but am willing to give this a try. Anything trying to work like Wizardry/Might & Magic or Dungeon Master will always peak my interest.

I'm starting to care less and less about graphics, as big budget games let me down more and more. I know, not really a new sentiment around these parts.

I guess they still don't give you a proper 'save anywhere' option?

Yes they do, a save anywhere option has been implemented if you wish to use it.

"Experience the party based crpg game mechanics you loved (Might and Magic I&&II / Wizardry…) with modern graphics, sound effects, and music. Underworld is a large, immersive game!"

What about the new M&M game? I am pretty sure I remember modern graphics and sound effects and even music.. all modern bling (and shitty storyline with uninteresting characters… but that seems to be a theme with games like M&M and Kings Bounty..).

EDIT: Uh oh, it's one of those annoying crappy FPS view games. That just reminds me of the headache called Wolf3D (but somehow with crappier graphics after all this time).

Obviously not an indi fan or supporter...

Yes, I am one of those evil EVIL gamers. I also complain about average graphics, unlike everyone else on this site.

Huh, I don't usually see people on this site complaining about the graphics of games that are, essentially, a one man operation. What I usually see is support. So, I guess you're right, you are evil. Thanks for the fair warning.

Aww, Santooos, don't get mad. I am printing these one-man-operation graphics in a motivational poster. Hopefully looking at it everyday will imprint that quality in my brain and I will join your special club. That way I will never criticize one-man-operation art, EVER!

*prints*

PS: Since you didn't get my previous post, I wasn't complaining about the graphics in this game. I was talking about the new M&M having better graphics already. The "EDIT" was me saying that I never enjoying these FPS view RPG's cause they remind me of Wolf3D, which was nauseating experience (like Half Life 2). I don't really care about the graphics, I swear, I even printed the poster like I promised..

I downloaded the demo and started playing on my netbook. I was surprised at how long it took to load and how unresponsive it was in the setup screens. Once I started the game proper it seemed to be better but still a bit slow to respond. Does anyone else have this experience? What are the system requirements? I looked on the website but couldn't find them.

EDIT: Uh oh, it's one of those annoying crappy FPS view games. That just reminds me of the headache called Wolf3D (but somehow with crappier graphics after all this time).
Err, not sure if I misunderstood what you are saying there, but I'd like to point out that while it's First Person, it works with stepwise movement, like Bards Tale and similar "blob" games. Not FPS-like and certainly not likely to induce motion sickness...

I downloaded the demo and started playing on my netbook. I was surprised at how long it took to load and how unresponsive it was in the setup screens. Once I started the game proper it seemed to be better but still a bit slow to respond. Does anyone else have this experience? What are the system requirements? I looked on the website but couldn't find them.

I have never had that problem. It loads very quickly for me and I had no slow responses at all. The system requirements are actually quite minimal, so I don't know why you are having problems. All I can say, is that Charles has been incredible about responding to each and every problem anyone has had with the game, so give him a hail at the game's forums.

@Notorious: Charles tells me he know why you're having the problem and he's looking in to a possible way to solve it. However, there are no guarantees at the moment since he doesn't know if it will work. It would involve changing the way the game actually loads. Stay tuned!!

Back
Top Bottom