New win10 update... What's happening?!

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

It behaved like a complete OS installation, not a classic update. And when it was over it told me speccy and CPU-Z are now removed claiming those tools don't work with win10 (and actually they do!) with these words:
Your app doesn't work with Windows 10

The app you're trying to use was blocked from opening because it might damage your PC or result in loss of data. This is because some apps that worked with a previous version of Windows might not work in the same way with Windows 10.

Go to the support website for the app developer, and check if a new or updated version of this app is available for Windows 10.

Damage my PC my arse. Something else is behind it. Is M$ trying to racket utils that show more detailed sysinfo than their builtin windows tool? A racket someone refused (neither are windows store apps) or killing competition with shady explanation why?

The only other "protest" I could find is here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/420309-did-anyone-get-major-update-today.html

I'm into IT support, but this kind of "gamechanging" update without any warning and no details what'll happen shocked me, I just had to share the emotion.
Anyone knows what's going on and why this build 10586.218 had to use win7/8-to-win10 upgrade operations?

Out of curiosity I installed the updates and...... It updated, nothing else happened.

It had the typically percent screen showing it installing but was nothing like a fresh install.

I don't have speccy but I didn't get a warning about any of my info programs. CPU-Z, Aidia 64, prime 95, asus utilities, hardware monitor, all work fine.

So in short, sorry, I have no idea what's happening with your PC.

@Joxer

What version of Windows 10 are you running? The problem might be restricted to particular versions.

Also Joxer install this version of win10 instead if you can. It comes without Cortana and you can deny updates. Essentially its win7 in win10 skin.
Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

@Joxer

What version of Windows 10 are you running? The problem might be restricted to particular versions.

Also Joxer install this version of win10 instead if you can. It comes without Cortana and you can deny updates. Essentially its win7 in win10 skin.
Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

Where can you buy this from? I thought you could only get it under a volume licensing deal.

I think that some programs/ drivers have two versions: one for Windows 7 and another one for Windows 10. In most cases it is probably not necessary, but in some special cases it might be needed.
When you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, those Windows 7 versions of programs/drivers should de-installed and replaced with Windows 10 equivalent versions of same programs/drivers. Windows Update won't do it for you of course. So, you have to do it yourself. Perhaps your programs speccy and CPU-Z (I have no idea what for programs are they) fall under this case.

I was hoping someone could tell me. All I know is that is the version to use of win10.

I'm pretty sure you can only get an Enterprise version as a volume license product.

For home users the Professional version is an alternative, it allows you to postpone updates for a couple of months (not security updates). If you have a pro version of Win7 or Win8, you get win10 pro for free. Upgrading from Home to pro cost here in Norway approx 150 USD.

pibbur who claims to be professional

Damn. That version of Windows 10 sounds like exactly what I would want when I finally upgrade from 7.

It might be cheaper to to first upgrade win7 to win7pro and then upgrade to win10.

pibbur who

Version on my PC is win10 pro x64. It was a free upgrade from win7 pro x65.
And because free, of course I didn't buy enterprise version.
And I don't want windows without getting updates.

Pibbur, enterprise has a huge difference inside. There is no telemetry. I'm using it at my work where for any kind of installations we use SCCM and something like this cannot ever happen.

Lev, CPU-Z is just a tool that lists your CPU and motherboard with many details on frequency, chips, etc. It doesn't analyze GPU, for that you can use GPU-Z. Which is also installed on my PC, but the update didn't remove it like it did with CPU-Z.
As for drivers, all missing ones postupgrade I've downloaded from ASUS and nVidia site.

JDR13, I wish.

Whatever happened I've just been on a coffee with a friend who said that his PC updated normally, without 3-4 restarts and without "windows upgrade" screen.
I'll probably have to wait for a day or two till google bot catalogues more reports to get more details.
But if I'm a rare person experiencing this, it might be that some system file was previously corrupted or missing because of currently unknown reason thus the update went loco and did whatnot stuff till it fixed it.

EDIT:
When I get home I'll definetly report it to Microsoft:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...h/8cc2af67-d1ef-43d8-8658-b5c5a69be530?page=1

Last edited:
If I wasn't afraid of getting a 1001 messages to update to win10 I would reformat my PC and go back to win7. Normally I am fine with OS changes but from a gaming perspective (for me at least) win10 totally blows - especially the 4GB memory limit on DX9 games. But worse than that is how they have set up their new system for gaming in general.

I have got all the recent updates and so far no problems (fingers crossed) but I don't have much on the PC besides games. Although I do have some tools for modding I am always worried about getting a message on compatibility wise.

I left PC running when I went to work to see if the system generates errors out of thin air or something and now have returned home.
Checked event viewer.

Beside normal reports, there are numerous errors with this "issue":

pic.jpg

Unbloodybelievable.

This is a god damned PC, not retarded phone under my fingers!
Yes, I know, next update will list xbox errors for sure.

I have to calm down otherwise I'll post on that official site something I wouldn't want someone else to call me that way.

Do you secretly play hacked phone games on your PC Joxer? :)

You might be onto something wolf… come on Joxer, come out of the closet! Embrace your secret vice! :biggrin:

Always doubted it, but this... How can one ignore this... Karma, so it exists!
;)

Well I don't know what the heck happened. Now POE crashes like I have a graphic over load when in big battles and to many spells are active at the same time.

It was fine in Thursday now complete screwed.

Microsoft recently announced all new processers will only run on windows 10, and if you buy a new pc with a new processor and want windows, then Win 10 is your only option. Not sure if this update had something to do with that, or not.

I'm still on Windows 7 and got a 16 part patch the other day, I'm guessing it was the same one. My PC performance was also a bit shittier that night just while watching videos. Coincidence? Probably, but what I do know is that my PC's performance has never immediately improved after a patch.

Back
Top Bottom