Witcher 3 - Is Getting A New Game Plus Mode

The combat reminds me quite a bit of Bloodborne. Dodge towards/past the enemy, 1-2 quick hits, dodge, dodge past and behind, repeat. Add in bombs (molotov cocktails) and offhand stuns (signs) and it's similar.

Which is great.

Yes, except that compared to Bloodborne, Witcher combat is a clunky, unresponsive mess ;)

I had no problems with responsivity of Witcher 3, played perfectly fine. Just like Dark Souls 1/2 (haven't played Bloodborne).

Yes, except that compared to Bloodborne, Witcher combat is a clunky, unresponsive mess ;)
I'll take combat system that is actually fun to play, over tedious repetitive grinding anytime.

When I see comments like this, all I can suggest to their author to stick with Bloodborne, knock themselves out and ask for a refund on TW.

I mean, seriously?
People bought The Witcher game expecting it to be an arcade grinder?
Weren't PR articles and videos clear what The Witcher is about?
It's like coming here after a chess match and saying, hell compared to Bloodborne, chess combat is clunky.

Not excited about NG+ mode. Would rather have seen some more content like quests or even a new (small) area for this magnificent game.

I'll take combat system that is actually fun to play, over tedious repetitive grinding anytime.

I find dark souls combat more fun so does that mean you prefer dark souls combat.;) as for grinding, you can grind in both games.

When I see comments like this, all I can suggest to their author to stick with Bloodborne, knock themselves out and ask for a refund on TW.

I mean, seriously?
People bought The Witcher game expecting it to be an arcade grinder?
Weren't PR articles and videos clear what The Witcher is about?
It's like coming here after a chess match and saying, hell compared to Bloodborne, chess combat is clunky.

Are you suggesting witcher combat is more strategic than dark souls? if so I don't see it. They both offer plenty of strategic combat options.

If your saying witcher offers much more non combat content, while true is irrelevant as he was talking only about combat.

Are you suggesting witcher combat is more strategic than dark souls?
No.
I don't know anything about Dark Souls combat. Why should I?
I just served an example. I could mention Tetris, nokia's 3310 snake or Kingdoms of Amalur instead of chess.

He was talking about… What?
Something that in TW3 is the least relevant thing. You didn't see me coming to Dark Souls clones thread preaching how other games have better quests, right? I can spam about grinding because that's what that game base design is. But even if I was dead drunk, I wouldn't go into comparing other games' design with something Dark Souls clones are not supposed to be focused at.
Get refund.

True...but this sounds more like trolling, aside from my part, but I'm okay with that.:p
You have issues with X game and don't enjoy playing it? Then why are you wasting your time on a topic/forum dedicated to it...it seems more likely that some people feel threatened when another game does something right, so will jump at any excuse to bash it for any reason.
Welcome to gaming community.

No.
I don't know anything about Dark Souls combat. Why should I?
I just served an example. I could mention Tetris, nokia's 3310 snake or Kingdoms of Amalur instead of chess.

He was talking about… What?
Something that in TW3 is the least relevant thing. You didn't see me coming to Dark Souls clones thread preaching how other games have better quests, right? I can spam about grinding because that's what that game base design is. But even if I was dead drunk, I wouldn't go into comparing other games' design with something Dark Souls clones are not supposed to be focused at.
Get refund.

I can't agree that combat is the least relevant considering that's how you'll spend most of your time while playing.

Can't experience the great quests or story without going through a lot of combat.

I can't play games with bad combat because that's the majority of what you do in most games.

I can't agree that combat is the least relevant considering that's how you'll spend most of your time while playing.

Can't experience the great quests or story without going through a lot of combat.

I can't play games with bad combat because that's the majority of what you do in most games.

I do agree combat is very important however in some cases you can have too much of a good thing as well. I think in a games like W3 where the main focus is story, NPC etc a Dark Souls like combat system can get in the way and hence backfire as well. This is why games likes DS doesn't have W3 like story etc since combat and story can conflict with each other.

Take Skyrim for example, I think it has "bad" combat however the main focus of the game was hiking simulation in a huge open world. If you put DS style difficult combat in Skyrim, it will conflict with the hiking simulation part of the game since even killing one trash mob can take ages! So my point is, if you accept Skyrim is a hiking simulation, then you just need "decent" combat system to simulate the fantasy aspect of the game.

I do agree combat is very important however in some cases you can have too much of a good thing as well. I think in a games like W3 where the main focus is story, NPC etc a Dark Souls like combat system can get in the way and hence backfire as well. This is why games likes DS doesn't have W3 like story etc since combat and story can conflict with each other.

Take Skyrim for example, I think it has "bad" combat however the main focus of the game was hiking simulation in a huge open world. If you put DS style difficult combat in Skyrim, it will conflict with the hiking simulation part of the game since even killing one trash mob can take ages! So my point is, if you accept Skyrim is a hiking simulation, then you just need "decent" combat system to simulate the fantasy aspect of the game.

I would agree with that. Combat doesn't need to always be great but it must be passable for me to be able to enjoy a game.

Of course, passable is subjective. For instance I can't stand Diablo type combat and just can't enjoy games that use it no matter what else the game does well.

Thanks for the link explaining what "new game plus" mode is, I was thinking WTF? when I saw the term.

I'd really only be interested in replaying the game in this new mode if the new game content was dramatically different, not just slight tweaks here and there. If the new game mode was like, a completely new game, and lived up to that name, with all new content and quests and so on, that would be awesome. But I know it very likely won't be that comprehensive, but probably just small tweaks here and there.

Yeah, so back on topic, what is the point and value of this DLC? I only replay games right away if I really like them AND there is significant new content unlocked by finishing it the first time. Any of that here?

Last edited:
The point of this DLC is: the community asked for it.

Someone in previous posts said - you have an idea what'd be good? Post on CDpr forums. If it good, they'll add it.
Unlike EA, CDpr staff read the official forums. They listen to the community.

You don't have to replay the game if you don't want to. NewGame+ is for those who want to replay the game, but don't want to start on level zero.

Hmm I found the combat got too easy and boring at high levels. Just spam igni, game over. Whatever…

EDIT: OK, sirens et al required slightly different tactics, but still easy peasy.

Sirens = "spam" alternate Yrden. ;)

I just never got bored, but then again, I played the game for something else, not for Mortal Kombat. ;)

Well I mean how many endless question marks of useless treasure do I need once I beat the game? The story and characters is the best part. Second time around quests have much less impact on me.

Dunno about you but I don't plan to take the same course on the replay because I can choose to do something else in the game. It's not the same PvE "arena" like in Mass Effect 3 boring&repetitive multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom