Kickstarter - Elite 4 "Elite Dangerous"

Hm, someone noticed the success of Star Citizen.
Yea, well… Star Citizen is basically a singleplayer game with only optional MP (unless I've understood it wrong) plus the first 30 seconds of the video practically sold it instantly in my case.

Did I say already I've backed it? Seems I didn't.
So let's see who is dead and who is alive and kickin'.

Hm, someone noticed the success of Star Citizen.
This seems very hastily put together.

The reward tiers are pretty crap altogether, but 20 and 30 tiers are not the same - the former is limited.

I didn't say they were the same - I said they have the same description. The first should read "Early Supporters Special!" or similar.

Anyway, as you say, someone noticed Star Citizen and the haste shows. If they have MP code running, why not at last have a little concept art?

I grew up with x-wing / tie fighter / wing commander / privateer. …

I built my first comoputer for that sole reason
(and the fact that I had started for a Ms of Science and were angered that I couldnt get the printer working in the lab)

On Topic,isnt it rather strange to not have any visuals or screenshots or concept art,
or am I tired and drunk?

There have been way to little sci-fi in gaming the last 15 years.
(Yes MOO3, my anger is still burning…)
C

Which I am, by htey way, movie night with studio ghibli and friends

Yea, well… Star Citizen is basically a singleplayer game with only optional MP (unless I've understood it wrong) plus the first 30 seconds of the video practically sold it instantly in my case.

Really? From what I understood it leaned more toward the persistent MMO-type world kind of game with a basic and optional single player campaign. Maybe I didn't read it properly…

The trailer did look brilliant, but the hint of MMO in there threw me off and was enough to keep me from backing. It just felt like they were focusing more on MP than on SP.

Did I misunderstand?

Really? From what I understood it leaned more toward the persistent MMO-type world kind of game with a basic and optional single player campaign…
Did I misunderstand?

Possibly. Or should I say - dunno. As I'm not sure myself. However, the Star Citizen FAQ says this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen#IsStarCitiAnMmo

Q: Is Star Citizen an MMO?
A: No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

Q: What will the gameplay be like?
A: Star Citizen will feature gameplay similar to the original Wing Commander and Privateer, with a more realistic physics system. This means that it is NOT a ‘click to kill’ interface like most modern MMOs; your success in combat is going to depend as much on your skill with a space fighter as it will with your ship upgrades and your pocket book.

That's why I've put some "beermoney" into that project.

The game will be the same regardless if its in multiplayer or single player, the difference is on the number of players on the "server". Once the game is released they will run an official server that people can join (the MMO-ish part), but private and single player servers will be possible as well (just like Freelancer).

You will be able to do Squadron 42 on the multiplayer servers too and have people join you in battle (it's instanced).

Currently they are focusing on Squadron 42, but combat multiplayer will be released first so they can balance it and get it tested.

azarhal I'm unsure are you referring to Elite 4 or Star Citizen.

But let me add one more detail. A few days ago I left a certain MMO space sim for good. It's STO. Why? Once promising changes are over with and changes happening lately are more and more bad design choices, in other words design fails. The space sim is becoming everything but a space sim - instead of a real MMO game it's now an online lottery or online Las Vegas slot machine. Maybe I'd even stay if the changes were pay2win, however the changes are you may pay millions and still don't get the one item/unit/ship/thing you want because you have to retry "the slot machine" and if lucky you'll get the thing you want. Not for free of course. I'm not even sure if such game that became practically a gambling online site is legal.

And this Elite4, being strictly MMO, smells exactly like such travesty coming. What do devs think, that all gamers are gambling addicts?

But Star Citizen on the other hand is SP, and if such gambling detail even exists there it's still not listed. Plus, by being practically SP, there is no need to gamble with real money at all since you don't need some *nobrainer musthave thing* if you want to compete with someone.
If I'm not mistaken Star Citizen is by being singleplayer connected to some global or private server, depending on your choice, is actually very much HoMM6 like. In some of my posts about HoMM6 I've already said, it's not an annoying "feature" as many say, it's nice to see what others hinted and share your own thoughts with the community without a need to go register on a forum or have a facebook acc - the only problem was that Ubisoft servers went offline too often while I was playing that game. The difference however is that you can't start a private server for HoMM6.

azarhal I'm unsure are you referring to Elite 4 or Star Citizen.

I was talking about Star Citizen. Also the only thing you will be able to buy with real money on the official server is in-game credits. This was confirmed by Chris on the KickStarter comment section.

As for Elite 4 - to be on topic ;) - , I have no idea what is their idea for the game. I read a few posts on the Net that make me think that the devs actually have no ideas themselves beside another Elite game. Their original idea was a MMO (doesn't mean it still is though), but right now the Kickstarter make it sound like they are copying the DarkSouls/Demon's Soul "system" for multiplayer.

There is some other "rumors" that make me think this game is vaporware though. Need more information beside dev creds.

Okay I'll keep an eye on Elite4 then, maybe in the end, if they change the priorities, maybe I pledge some pocketchange.
In the meantime I could make a post about STO in MMO section because now when I read what I've posted above it looks silly as I didn't post any practical detail to describe turning a MMO to online gambling.

Really? From what I understood it leaned more toward the persistent MMO-type world kind of game with a basic and optional single player campaign. Maybe I didn't read it properly…

The trailer did look brilliant, but the hint of MMO in there threw me off and was enough to keep me from backing. It just felt like they were focusing more on MP than on SP.

Did I misunderstand?
Those were my fears as well so I decided to ask them a question through Kickstarter about the depth and scope of Squadron 42 when compared to the original WC series and whether it is mandatory to go on-line for activation or registration purposes even when playing the SP off-line campaign. (Out of principle, I will not help fund a game if I am not granted a DRM-free version). I got my answer today which I post below:

Star Citizen Kickstarter answer:
Squadron 42 is a full game, on the same scale as the original Wing Commander. In fact one of the big things Chris wants to do is a return to a true branching storyline like the original WC had that was dropped by the later titles. But yes, Squadron 42 is half of our effort… in fact, all the work that has been done so far, everything you saw in the demo, was built for Squadron 42 rather than Star Citizen.

You will not need to connect to the internet (unless, of course, you want to play with a real wingman.) None of that activation or always-on DRM, though!

- Ben

After 4 days into the campaign, they finally added concept arts and a video of Braben trying to sale his game...

3 days before it ends on kickstarter, Star Citizen managed to get a sum of 1.2M there, which nets a total of 3.5M:
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/3-5-million-unlock/

SC just shot through the $4 million total barrier with two days and fifteen hours to go. Looks like SC's total will top PE for a new crowd-funding record :) .
The $4.5 million stretch goals are sounding really nice. I hope it will make it there by Monday!

SC is probably my most wanted of all the Kickstarters. That is great news indeed. I'm sad to see Elite 4 have such a poor campaign, as the concept is wonderful. I guess Braben lost his way :(

Can someone explain to me how 1.2 million equals 3.5 M?

They are raising money on their own site and on Kickstarter. The current score is...

- Kickstarter: US$ 1,412,438
- RSI site: US$ 2,676,168

- Grand Total: US$ 4,088,606

The next stretch goal will be unlocked if and when KS hits the US$ 1.5 million mark. The next one after that is at $4.5 million grand total and then there's also a $5 million one but that may be too far a... umm... stretch maybe (pun intended :biggrin: ).

New update: 'Development Diary video, in which we show gameplay footage and talk about multiplayer and some of the elements of how ships work'.

Do you guys know of any elite-style title with multiplayer/online support?

Back
Top Bottom