ES4: Oblivion - Nehrim Released in English

I personally found the first dungeon a little drawn out and too empty but the game has been much more fun since I got out of there. The game rewards exploration by finding little stat boosters all over outside. Lots of +1 to stat/skill items and they generally glow a bit like Nirn roots. Searching the little dungeons for magic runes is also a nice touch, although waiting to get spells till you get to 1 certain place is a letdown. I guess I could just head cross country over to it, but that's not what the game "suggests" you do. There are some quests that eliminate other quests, which I'm not a fan of, but the choice and consequence crowd will love it. Overall, I've had a lot of fun in my first 10 hours and wish I could devote more time to the game.

One thing I definitely do not like is the music score. It really feels out of place to me. I've got to check and see how easy it is to dump Oblivion's music back into the game. The rock guitars just seem out of place in a fantasy crpg.

Instaled Quarl texture pack 3 on top of nehrim and the game is MUCH better looking.
Dont get me wrong, the nehrim original textures are quite OK, but nothing beats QTP3. The game has new life put into it !

Instaled Quarl texture pack 3 on top of nehrim and the game is MUCH better looking.
Dont get me wrong, the nehrim original textures are quite OK, but nothing beats QTP3. The game has new life put into it !
Thanks for that one!
Did you run into any sort of conflicts?

Thanks for Dhruin for posting about this as i had no idea it was available. I had a little trouble getting it to run until I ran the installer as administrator. I spent a couple hours at it last night and as I exited the first dungeon it came to me that this has the Gothic series all over it as inspiration. Coming down the trail, picking herbs, finding gear, the stat points, the trainers, etc. Chapters.

If his game is as big as the map and it had english translation for the voices, I would have paid for this game! Just what I need to keep me busy til next month when Arcania comes out

Question: are there horses?

Yes, and donkeys too. I'm not sure if a saddlebags type mod would work or not. There may even be something like that, as I'm only level 6. I'm the proud owner of a donkey though. Horses cost 3000, Donkeys 500 :)

Great game so far. You actually have to think rather then just twitch.:)

I recently downloaded this mod. I don't want to call this a mod because it is much more than just a "mod". It seems like an expansion or a whole new game. The developers of this "mod" are very talented. It is very well done.

I recently downloaded this mod. I don't want to call this a mod because it is much more than just a "mod".

Hint: That's why it's not called a "mod" but a total conversion ;) .

I just started playing this and I like it a lot. With English voice-overs, this would be at least a $40 game for me. Heck, even with just German voices, I would pay $20 for this. I paid $50 on some games that were not as good as this.

I've got about 50 hours or so in it and I'm still having fun. There are some weaknesses; at least in my opinion. I liked the low loot at low levels, but I'm still only finding steel and mithril and I'm level 14. Also, most dungeons have zero or one piece of loot that you might want to keep. Even boss monsters only drop junk 8 times out of 10. Experience points are gained while fighting, but you can clear two dungeons worth of creatures and then get more xp from a quest that took 5 minutes to complete.

The reward balances are a little too skewed in favor of following the main quest vs self exploration. All the dungeons and world design is top notch though, so exploration is rewarded in a non-transient way. Even though item rewards are quite low, combat is very easy against anything 3 levels above you and lower. Once something is 4 or 5 levels higher than your character, things become much more tactical for survival. It is much, much, much easier to play a jack-of-all skills rather than to specialize. Learning points are cheap to spend in the beginning, but expect to pay hundreds of coins/point at high levels. DO NOT save your learning points unless you're saving lots of money too.

Overall, this game is a blast, but there's really not a lot of Gothic here in my opinion. Some superflous stuff is Gothic, but overall game play is pure Oblivion but taking away the level scaling. Level scaling outdoors is region-based and I have no idea what it is indoors. Perhaps everything is the same as the region; though I find dungeons generally easier than outdoors. This is because dungeon creatures can't avoid my spells nearly as well as outdoor creatures.

Like crpgnut, I've put in more than 50 hours so far and am still spellbound by this game/mod. It truly is like having a complete, free and quality game to devour. I've got the Arcania (Gothic IV) demo just sitting on my drive uninstalled because I can't bothered to be pulled away from Nehrim.

Plot-wise I am early in Chapter 2. I've spent most of my time doing sidequests & exploring but am now devoting more time to the main plot. I am playing as a sneaking bow thief and master alchemist. I am level 20 right now.

What I like:

1. Absolutely convincing and detailed world design. I disagree with the 'nut about the lack of "Gothic"-ness here. There is a seamless and natural beauty to the way they have built the landscapes. There is also a logic to where things are placed that fits with the narrative of the story and quests. For instance, one town in the central valley is a mining town. You can actually follow a mining rail that begins in the town all the way through the forest, up the mountain, and right up to the entrance to the mine itself.

2. Unique and tantalizing dungeon design. There are fewer dungeons than Oblivion (not a bad thing), but all this means is that each one has it's own distinct flavor and challenges. There are the usual traps but also some puzzles, hidden areas, breakable boards that reveal loot — really all the stuff that Bethesda didn't have time to put in Oblivion because they chose the quantity over quality route. Every bit of polish you see in the overworld is also there in the dungeons & caves.

3. The right level of challenge. There are always some enemies that seem hard to me along with those that I just plow through like butter. I decided to go further in the main quest now because I feared my level was getting out of sync with the main plot challenges. Things seem to be on the proper "track" now.

4. Main quests keep you engaged by mixing up exploring, fighting and scripted sequences. Of course I'm only early in the 2nd chapter in this regard but these are my impressions of it so far.

5. "Alive" world. OK, I know it's a cliche to keep using that phrase but they really took a page from Gothic and the Ultimas and spruced up the living details. As expected townfolks follow their usual schedules. Roads between towns are not empty, but populated (sparsely) with traveling merchants, random travelers, destroyed merchant carts, etc. Wildlife behaves appropriately. Wolves, bears, and other predators attack you on sight. Boars & crabs will not attack unless provoked. Deer run from you and are also pursued by other predator animals. Furthermore, animals can get distracted by other foes even while chasing you. There is no enemy "tunnel vision" where you have groups of humans and animals pursuing only YOU while ignoring each other.

6. Music score hits the rights emotional lever without being completely overbearing.

A few dislikes:

1. Obviously, when so many other aspects are so well done, it is easy to see certain other flaws in contrast. One is the rather sparse and sterile dialogue for what I'll call "ancillary" characters. These are the trainers & merchants that may not have a pivotal role in the plot, but you nonetheless interact with them on a regular basis. Many of them so far simply repeat a canned phrase before going into the merchant/training dialogues. "What do you want to learn?" or "What do you want to purchase?". There is no unique "background" dialogue that is said initially when you first talk to the character.

Yes, I know this is minor but you'd be surprised how much that sort of breaks the "spell" for me. For instance, there is a hunter located way up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. He's sitting there perched on his stool and reading a book in his makeshift camp. Instead of allowing you to ask him what his story is, he just immediately goes into the training dialog when you click on him.

Now I'm not knocking SureAI here. It is clear to me that they probably had to maximize the time they could spend with these professional voice actors. So understandably the focus of the unique dialogues was on the main plot and major sidequests. All the other stuff was probably deemed nice-to-have but not necessary for release.

2. Finally there are some translation quirks. Nothing that distracts too much from the core gameplay but some things could be redone. For instance, the lowest potentcy level of potions are labeled "rancid" when a better word might have been "tepid" or "weak".

3. And even though this is a near total conversion of Oblivion, some of the same problems I had with Oblivion remain here: The clumsy melee combat, too few quickslots, selling and buying items is tedious, the UI requires to many clicks and key presses to get to basic information, etc. This is the console disease that Oblivion just cannot shake. And while some mods might fix this, I am afraid to install them on top of Nehrim for fear of breaking the game.

All in all — it is absolutely worth re-installing Oblivion to play this. I'm in awe of what SureAI has put together. No doubt the members of this team have a bright future in game design.

There are many things that Oblivion did better, but they had a huge budget. For a free mod, this is just incredible. I agree that not having any dialogue with 90% of the living population is rough. The dialogue that does exist is generally pretty good though. The translation from German is often a little off, which happens in AAA translations too.

What I'm missing from Oblivion is the ability to customize my experience. I can't make custom items or spells, there are very few armor sets, and only 3 races and four classes. This is kind of a bummer, but completely understandable. The great thing is that this mod is very popular and a number of the high-end modders for Oblvion are converting mods to work with Nehrim. This mod should have some very nice add-on mods in just a few months time. That will make replaying the mod a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom