Get great RPG's on GameTap for $4.95 a month!

txa1265

SasqWatch
Gametap is now as low as $4.95/month for a limited time. That's $60/yr. And that's the catch. You have to buy a 1-yr plan to get the $4.95 rate.

But look at some of the games:
- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
- Baldur's Gate
- Darkstone
- Grandia II
- Icewind Dale 2
- Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
- Planescape®: Torment
- Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World
- Might and Magic® III: Isles of Terra
- Might and Magic® IV: Clouds of Xeen
- Might and Magic® V: Darkside of Xeen
- Might and Magic®: Secret of the Inner Sanctum
- Ultima™ Role-Playing
- Ultima™ II: The Revenge of the Enchantress
- Ultima™ III: Exodus
- Ultima™ IV: Quest of the Avatar
- Ultima™ V: Warriors of Destiny

- Sam and Max: Culture Shock (the new one)
- Sid Meier's Civilization III Gold
- games in the Zork, Serious Sam, Tomb Raider ... and so on ... plus loads of old Sega stuff and more and more ...

And I just want to be clear that there is no personal motivation behind doing this - I have affiliation or interest, get no money or free stuff. In fact I've only done the free trial myself due to time constraints! Just to be clear ...

Last edited:
Mike, what is Gametap, and is it only for US residents?

Hi Corwin,

It's a subscription gaming service that's only available to people in the U.S. and (as of yesterday) Canada, but they claim they'll be opening up to the UK and Australia next year. Basically you pay $10 a month and can play any of the games in their database. And these games have been optimized for the gametap client, meaning they should actually work with your PC's configuration (presuming your PC has the strength to run the game in the first place). I still haven't subscribed as of yet, but one of my good friends has, and he really likes it.

Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out for it down here, but I already own most of those games!! :)

Sorry I wasn't clearer about (a)what it was and (b) the fact that it is US / Canada.

I own them as well, but the ability to just quick install and play more than 700 games is quite a bonus. Like I said, no time to do it right now ...

Due to me reading this thread...I actually went and investigated Gametap and I signed up. So far I think it is well worth the $4.95 per month ($59.00) per year that I paid. Gametap is owned by Turner Communications(CNN,TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim..etc) so they have a video section with Space Ghost and some other adult swim stuff. Honestly I think the biggest advantage to Gametap is you can play a non-windows game immediately and don't have to fool with configuring DOSbox or and emulator. I'm more of a casual gamer these days so it's nice just to sign in and start playing right away.

Signed up last night and downloaded a game (took forever) and tried to play it...nothing happened but a system freeze.

No I have something else to debug.:mad:

Well its up and running on my notebook so it must be the home system that is the problem. :-/

They Have the Zork series…now That takes me back…waaay back.:p

Last edited:
So.. being from Norway really makes it difficult to use this service, right?

So.. being from Norway really makes it difficult to use this service, right?

Impossible, unfortunately. It is US and Canado only right now - I have no idea what the next plans are for the service.

Thought as much, oh well, luckily I have half the games on that list as originals already. :)

The BG games are still worth full price in my opinion, they can give any player many, many hours of fun. Of course, most old games are small and fairly short and probably not worth the same as a full game today, but not the BG games - they take as long to complete as any game today. In fact, it still takes me longer to complete BG2 than all guilds/main quest in Oblivion..

I like playing the old Arcade games like Tempest, Centipede and Dig Dug. But it just ain’t the same without the big buttons, joystick and trackball. Just thinking of all the hours and quarters I wasted in bars playing those games makes my head hurt.

On another note…they really got to work on their cache method…I can’t even play the higher end games like Splinter Cell or Far Cry.

I like playing the old Arcade games like Tempest, Centipede and Dig Dug.

That is the same problem I had with MAME when I tried it years ago and the 'arcade collections' for the PSP that I've played - the controls are seldom optimal. Tempest without a spin-controller just doesn't work. Like Pong ...

I can't believe it, all of those old games. How many different systems are available? Will they have 360 games and the like? Are games installed locally or are they added in as part of the client? Does the client hog system resources, or do games run just like they would if they were played from a HD install? Is content typically dated or are new releases included? Wow, this is like STEAM +1.

Back
Top Bottom