Some great free software for keeping your pc in good shape

Not the big tool, but imho neat anyway, if you have people from different parts of the world in your forum:

Microsoft Time Zone

It needs an "original ms software" check, though.

I don't know whether there's other software out there doing the same. If so, I'd be interested to hear about it, since in almost all forums I'm active in people from different time zones are there.

i use a similar freeware called World Clock. quite handy in keeping track of members from different time zones.

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, Comodo now has a full-featured security suite available for free:

http://antivirus.comodo.com/

I've been using Comodo Firewall for a while now and very happy. Also very happy with Avast! Antivirus - Not sure I want to make the leap over to full Comodo, but maybe. Thanks for the link.

@lanux128 : Thanks.

It's not only useful, it's a definite must if you want to get Windows under control.

finally found and excellent replacement for zonealarm!
(and no, not comodo, i hate comodo even more than zonealarm)

Pc tools firewall, free, really free, no nag screens (at least i havent gotten any)

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Very nice and easy to use while having more features than ZA, also light on system resources when compared to ZA. Not nearly as annoying and obscure as comodo.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but a new version of CDBurnerXP has been released last month.

http://cdburnerxp.se/

I think this a great, free and lightweight program for burning music and data CD/DVDs.

The new version has an improved interface and includes support for more CD/DVD brands.

I used it for about an hour and a half earlier and was impressed with its speed and simplicity.

However after scanning their forums, it sounds like it has some issues with Vista.

But if you happen to be using Windows XP, this one is definitely worth a look if you're tired of Ulead and other bloated CD/DVD creation software that include a boatload of functions that you don't use. And, again, it's freeware.

Thanks for the link Sir Markus. I've been wanting a decent burning program for a while now. I had nothing but problems with my Nero software that came bundled with my new PC. I uninstalled it thinking I would just go the freeware route - problem is there doesn't seem to be much of anything! Anyone know of a freeware program for making Lightscribe labels?

...And let me just say again that I hate Nero!

I like to recommend an old winamp dsp plug-in that released back in 2001, Enhancer 017. I had been using several audio players recently but now back to winamp with the plug-in. Eventhough i have high-end speaker and audio card, the plug-in still enhance my listening experience considerably.

Note that the plug-in won't install on Vista with latest Winamp version unless you enable the installer's administrator right.

I've tried Winamp a couple of times over the years, but I just can't use it. The interface is horrible!! What's with the infinite number of teeny tiny buttons with no mouse over help and the separate boxes that close and open individually? I can't even begin to describe how frustrating Winamp is to me.

I'm using Winamp since late 90's so maybe already accustomed to the interface. Still, i see don't serious flaw on the Winamp's interface. There are other good audio players out there, e.g AIMP2 or the good old foobar.

PS - You could customized the interface with various Winamp skins from deviantarts website to make its interface simpler and easier to navigate.

I'm using WinAMP too. I like the compact look, simplicity and low profile (it doesn't stress out my CPU). I've always been using the "Divinity" skin and never dared to change it.

winamp-divinity.jpg

Currently I'm trying out Songbird. It's a desktop media player that displays all kinds of information about the artists, like reviews, news, tourdates, photos and videos, from sites such as last.fm. It's very easy to click through your mp3 collection (by artist, genre or album) or radio stations. Seems pretty nice so far, although it does use quite a lot of resources.

I've tried Winamp a couple of times over the years, but I just can't use it. The interface is horrible!! What's with the infinite number of teeny tiny buttons with no mouse over help and the separate boxes that close and open individually? I can't even begin to describe how frustrating Winamp is to me.

I'm sorry, but I have a similar problem. Never got myself too much accustomed to Winamp.

But I have problems with the newest version of winmediaplayer, too, just when I put an Audio CD into the PCs CD drive for listening, I have always problems to play the CD, although I should already know everything by now.

I also want to post two programs that offer streamlined versions of Real Player and Quicktime.

Quicktime alternative:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm

Real Player alternative:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_Alternative.htm

I don't make heavy use of either program; usually these programs only open for me for links when I'm surfing the internet. These are just 'bare bone' codecs that play content. They don't have the functionality of the full versions, but do the job if you just want to play these types of files with a minimum of hassle.

Last edited:
I use K-Lite for all my codec needs. They also host Real/Quicktime alternative. Since it's bundled with Classic Media Player, that also became my videoplayer of choice.

Back
Top Bottom