Project Eternity - Update #24, Life and Death

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Project Eternity Update #24 was published minutes after I finished the previous newsbit but this is worth its own coverage. J.E. Sawyer talks about the health mechanic and death:
Life and Death in the Dyrwood

For today's update, I was supposed to do a lore update, but I decided that I wanted to talk about a specific subject and how lore and mechanics tie into that subject. Today's subjects are LIFE AND DEATH. Project Eternity is a fantasy RPG inspired by several A/D&D-based settings in which death is, for those with means, a temporary setback (for the Nameless One, it's even less problematic). The priests of the Forgotten Realms run around with boatloads of cure x wounds spells, the ability to banish disease, and even the power to bring the dead back to life.
In Project Eternity, prospects are not so bright. And when death comes, some try to stay, some choose to go, but most people believe that once they make the trip to the other side, there is only one way back: to begin a new life.
Common Mortality
Project Eternity's world is one with limited medicine and medical understanding. Unlike many fantasy settings, there is very little access to curative magic. Remedies for health problems often have only a palliative or placebo effect at best, owing their continued use more to folk beliefs and tradition than any basis in scientific methodology. Though soul-based magic has helped the great exploring cultures from suffering massive pandemics and has helped some individuals overcome illness over the long-term, there is no quick magical "cure" for disease or illness. Most people go through life and death in the ordinary way -- unless they put themselves in harm's way, that is.
Stamina and Health
In Project Eternity's combat, players need to be concerned with two elements of a character's vitality: Stamina and Health. The majority of damage a character takes is subtracted from his or her Stamina. Stamina represents how much general abuse a character can take before falling unconscious. Characters lose it quickly and regain it relatively rapidly, even without assistance. Soul-based abilities are able to help replenish or regenerate Stamina and are often used on the battlefield to turn the tide of combat. If a character hits 0 Stamina, he or she is knocked out. Intervention from another character can bring an unconscious character back into a fight.
For players, the Health of their party members is a tether that makes them consider how far they are willing to venture from a safe resting spot. Though Health is typically lost at a lower rate, when the PC or a companion hits 0 Health, he or she is maimed (in standard play) or killed (in Expert mode or as an option in standard play). Magic may help mitigate damage to Health and slow the tide, but once characters have died (in Expert mode), there is no known magic that can bring them back.
Head over for more.
More information.

Hello guys.
This has nothing to do with the thread but I had to ask, since I`m positive this kickstarter will reach 3.5mi.

I hear another big city will be added. My doubt is - In terms of content and extension, how `big` is a big city, actually?
I was very young (11 I think) when I played the first BG so it`s hard to compare. The cities I remember are - Beregost, Candlekeep, Nashkell and Friendly Arms Inn. Interestingly, I don`t remember the city of Baldur`s Gate at all =( So is a big city anything like those I mentioned?
Also, I remember all cities from Planescape Torment but I don`t remember the names. Still, could be a nice comparison.

Thanks!

The cities I remember are - Beregost, Candlekeep, Nashkell and Friendly Arms Inn. Interestingly, I don`t remember the city of Baldur`s Gate at all =( So is a big city anything like those I mentioned?

The two example cities mentioned in the stretch goal are Baldur's Gate (from BG) and Athkatla (from BGII). As I recall pretty much the entirety of the second chapter of BGII consisted of doing various stuff in Athkatla, and that chapter was by far the most extensive in the game. It was much more extensive than Candlekeep and the Friendly Arms Inn, definitely. (I don't remember Beregost or Nashkell well enough to comment.) When they say big, they mean big.

FWIW, right now (and assuming 92k in Paypal) they would need to average about $4800 per hour to hit $3.5 million. This is down from a needed average of $6200 per hour earlier in the day, which means they're currently on-pace to hit the goal.

last 2 hours were at $20k per hour...

this project will easily pass 3.5 million

From the kickstarter:
"$3.5 Million - Big City #2

Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city."

Pledged 50. First kickstarter. Get to 3.5 million now! Go, go, go!

I seem to remember Baldur's Gate being bigger than Athkatla (as far as number of interior locations to visit). But most of the locations were copy pasted filler houses without much of importance. Hopefully this will be better.

I find the lore a little generic and dull so far.I hope the story and charactors make it interesting.

This project will easily pass 3.5 million.

Yeah, it's looking good. The most recent report puts Paypal at $100k, and Kickstarter shows $3,295,478 with 26 hours to go. (3500000 - 3295478 - 100000) / 26 = 4020 plus or minus 10 cents.

The way the needed per-hour number keeps dropping means they're overperforming, which means they're looking very likely to surpass the $3.5 million mark.

(I wonder if they have another stretch goal left for the last-minute push?)

I find the lore a little generic and dull so far.I hope the story and charactors make it interesting.

It is waaay early. These are merely concepts they're discussing, and clearly they wanted to wait to see if the project was funded before they sit down with each other and hash out this new world.

To be honest, after tomorrow and for the next month or two I'd give anything to be a fly on the wall in their meetings. That's when there's more creativity and less production. = the fun part

Pledged $50, sounds pretty promising. Been holding off until they provided more content and it sounds like something that will be very good - if they can meet all these incredibly high expectations now.

I do like the big city promises. I have thought in the past it would be awesome to have a rpg game set in a huge city, kind of like a Thieves World type setting. (Thieves World is a series of fantasy books of short stories set in a grimy city full of intrigues)

Ahh, I remember enjoying the Thieves' World books when I was a young man. I think it was a PnP RPG, too.

Edit: Well, they put out some materials to adapt Thieves' World to D&D, it seems, thanks to Google. http://www.thievesworld.info/roleplay/rpg-original.htm Got a kcik out of seeing mention of The Vulgar Unicorn. Google, I'd have your baby, if you asked me to.

They have about $70K left to go before they get to $3.5 million.

It is waaay early. These are merely concepts they're discussing, and clearly they wanted to wait to see if the project was funded before they sit down with each other and hash out this new world.

I think it's a little worrying that it's not even past concept, that usually takes at least a year to get right, for some games several years. Trying out designs and stuff, writing lore etc. It's tons of work.

I think it's a little worrying that it's not even past concept, that usually takes at least a year to get right, for some games several years. Trying out designs and stuff, writing lore etc. It's tons of work.

I agree with all of this, but the one good thing about it, is most of the team has worked together multiple times. Mega projects are easier if everyone is familiar with each others' strengths and weaknesses. I'll be shocked if they hit the release date and not disappointed if it gets pushed back 6 months to a year.

I also agree that the lore is a little more bland than I'd like. However the designers on board are top tier and I'm getting the feeling its going to be a labor of love type project. For that I'm expecting good things and that it will come together well. The problem may be that every idea they have had but not had a chance to implement sneaks its way in but they are pros so that should be handled better than in the past I expect.

I upped my pledge to get a beta key and the expansion as I have high hopes its going to be good and worth it. This kickstarter has been handled very well in my opinion as they marketed it expertly and have kept sneaking things in to compel people (including me) to give more and well above what would be paid at retail.

I'll be shocked if they hit the release date and not disappointed if it gets pushed back 6 months to a year.

How's that gonna work without a publisher, they gonna crowd fund another year? ;) Nah, I believe they have to release it pretty much on time. I don't fear kickstarter projects getting that much delayed, but i expect some of them to be in a rather unfinished state with tons of bugs. As for this game, well, let's not kid ourselves, it's Obsidian afterall.. people who complain about Bethesda's bugs/performance problems have never played a game from Obsidian :p

They'll break 3,5m in a few hours, meaning a 2nd city should be in. Excellent!

Back
Top Bottom