Wasteland 2 - One Million in Sales on First Week

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Brian Fargo announces that Wasteland 2 has earned a million dollars in sales this week.
We don't normally discuss finances but Wasteland 2 remains in the #1 spot on Steam and we just surpassed a million dollars in sales. Success for us means jobs and an ongoing ability to create the kinds of games we love. A great day for inXile and CRPGs.
More information.

Maybe this time they can do a proper with Torment from W2 sales? Compared to the poor job they did with W2..

Surprisingly the torment video looks awesome, as if they hired a totally different graphics team???

I though the headline said "One million sales" and I was a bit shocked. Then i realised it said one million IN sales…well, that's good too I suppose. :)

Wonder if he means before or after Steam takes its cut. Somewhere around 25K-35K sales, depending. Not all that impressive of a number...

That one million would probably be a few thousand games sold on Steam, and other online sellers depending on what edition gamers bought on release.

So It's not that bad or that great at all, and I hope they release sale numbers in a few months. If I remember Original Sin sold more than 500,000 copies. :)

Guess it makes sense that D:OS would sell more off the bat, even if you assume equal interest in the two games. 61K backers for Wasteland 2, plus free copies of Wasteland 2 also came with certain pledge tiers on both Torment and PoE Kickstarters as well. Only 19K backers for Original Sin.

I'm playing for 20 hours now and have just solved the first major mission(!)
My difficulty level Ranger is challenging and fun.
My characters are not much optimized (min-maxing with charisma and luck is possible).
I have tried to cover every skill with my party ( which was a good idea ;) )
Micromanagement is fun. Ammunition, money and health packs are always rare.
I would like to have some more combat options. (JA 2 has more for example)
Story and characters are interesting.

8.5/10 for me so far.

Maybe this time they can do a proper with Torment from W2 sales? Compared to the poor job they did with W2..

Surprisingly the torment video looks awesome, as if they hired a totally different graphics team???

Poor job? IYHO

One million in sales begs to differ. If Torment is better than WL2, it's a win win situation for all of us. ;)

RPGs continue to sell well for years and years to come. Baldur's Gate still sells very well on GOG 15 years after release. It's going to give inXile some good revenue for a very long while.

I though the headline said "One million sales" and I was a bit shocked. Then i realised it said one million IN sales…well, that's good too I suppose. :)

My reaction to this headline was exactly the same - but I do hope that they will sell 1 million copies at least - especially with XMas sale around the corner.

Good to know, I hope that both DOS and W2 will reach a million copies sold within 1 year, it would mean that mid-size developers have a market and more wonderful cRPGs for us in the future for us.

I still like DOS more, but mostly because I like more the fantasy setting (I believe combat can be so much more creative when you have a whole arsenal of spells), but W2 is also incredibly rewarding. The fight with the rail thieves lasted 40 minutes and many of my rangers were severely injured, but what a fight that was!

Great news for these guys. I haven't had a lot of time to play much past the first few missions but I'm having a really good time. It took two years for this game to come out but I'm impressed with what they have produced.

I need to kick my Xulima habit and start playing this before all of you finish. Just drop the early access game and back away slowly, nut. I keep telling myself that, but I loaded Xulima again last night and even created a new party....

Compared to the poor job they did with W2..

Best game I've played in a long time. Love every damn second of it. I have to force myself to stop playing. So much fun playing a ranger!

Well, I've heard enough good things about it now that I'm convinced I've been too hard on it.

I will give it a proper shot once a few patches have been released.

Can someone confirm that melee characters are somewhat underpowered?

I'm having fun with the game so far....I haven't had a ton of time maybe 6 or so hours so far...but it is a solid rpg. One of the better ones I have played in awhile.

That one million would probably be a few thousand games sold on Steam, and other online sellers depending on what edition gamers bought on release.

So It's not that bad or that great at all, and I hope they release sale numbers in a few months. If I remember Original Sin sold more than 500,000 copies. :)

The amount probably projects out to several millions in net profit over the course of several months; perhaps enough to fund another game project.

Can someone confirm that melee characters are somewhat underpowered?
A bit, but melee skills come in handy when you are low on ammo or at very close range -> you have more attacks then.
If ammo stays low the whole game and if melee fighters can make up for it, that would imho indeed be a great design decision.

If ammo stays low the whole game and if melee fighters can make up for it, that would imho indeed be a great design decision.

My friend who played the beta tells me that every character should have a ranged and a melee skill for just this reason.

(I have ignored the advice because I like creating characters with different Achilles' heels)

Back
Top Bottom