Gothic 3 Please post any news regarding patch #3 here.

Well, Bethesda is getting a lot of flack because of quite a few things.

1) The hype - Dear God, the hype was ridiculous. I turned from anxious and eager to annoyed and cynical in a matter of weeks. Oblivions looks good but plays average.
2) The lies - They made numerous Fable-type statements and failed to deliver. Check the RPGCodex for the thread of Bethesda developer quotes. Hilarious and annoying at the same time
3) The mods - Having a CS is definitely great. But don't you think it's a bit funny that virtually all the top 10 mods are fixes? For UI, levelling, water, face textures, LOD textures, etc.
4) The dumbing down - Calling the gameplay "streamlined" is BS. The sheer amount of hand-holding (text popups, compass) and dumbed down content (dialogue, etc) in the game is ridiculous

I don't hate Oblivion but it is incredibly overrated. And at least with PB, they were honest with the gamers regarding Gothic 3.

Sorry for the rant :p As for patch #3, i guess it will be released at the latest a week before the US Launch

That´s not the point. Most users ignore mods. The only way everyone can get the full experience is if Bethesda delivers an official patch. Even if they only relabel a mod. Only box plus patches counts. The rest is optional.

That is why reviews all talk about 'vanilla' Oblivion - and why I mention the obvious conole bent in my review.

Official forums in general are a nasty place - been at Ubi's Dark Messiah boards lately?

Oblivion gets a lot of crap because it plays like a 'dumbed down console port'. Many people stop there and don't realize there is still a damn good game behind that dumbed down front-end. As soon as I stopped trying to think of Oblivion as a hardcore RPG I had much more fun - I don't think it is as good as the frothy-mouthed fanboys would say, but I've held the DVD near my car and it hasn't burned a hole through it as folks at the codex would have you believe ...

Oh my god. I feel stupid. I love oblivion. Bought the CE version to my PC so i could get the making of DVD. :)

I like Gothic 3 too. But, as somebody said. "Is it up to the fans fixing the game..."
Whos fixing Gothic ... ?

Well, i do play games one time through than i move on. And I am in it for instant gratification and for some real life getaway.

Some like it some don't. I don't critizise either part, but if one saying the modders would have to fix oblivion, atleast we didn't have to wait for the developer!

You mean....

you found something critical there?

:biggrin: I admit the guys over at RPGCodex are incredibly anti-Oblivion/Bethesda but they do have some valid points. Check out their review of Oblivion. It's quite objectively written without resorting to either hype or hubris. I'm tired of major gaming sites awarding over-the-top scores, gushing over how the game is the greatest thing on Earth and how they would sacrifice your offspring to Bethesda in gratitude...hmmm, maybe not the last part.

For the record, i'm not anti-Oblivion. I think it's a good game but not great. Gameplay-wise a step down from Morrowind even though i found the latter boring.

As for Gothic 3, it would be nice if it was easily modded. Didn't PB mention something quite some time ago about how they would implement that?

At this point the thing I like better about Oblivion is that it didnt stutter nearly as bad.

As for Gothic 3, it would be nice if it was easily modded. Didn't PB mention something quite some time ago about how they would implement that?

Yes, they said they would make a modkit, but wanted to make to kit easier to use, so the modders wouldn't need to be game developers to use it. But I guess they have different priorities now.

"I admit the guys over at RPGCodex are incredibly anti-Oblivion/Bethesda"

Then that must be a great site finally some people with brains.

lol. Yeah I remember seeing gamespot gave it 9.6 or something like that, which was why I bought the game, and I remember thinking "9.6???"

I hate Bethesda for grabbing Fallout 3 license and just waiting for someone to come up with a better offer. By the time someone comes up to buy it out, people will forget about Fallout and the game is doomed.

I have to agree with Gorath on this one, it shouldn't be up to the fans to fix a game. Giving them an option to modify it is one thing - relying on them to actually make the game playable is another.

Also, I agree with Dr. As dumbing down point. I don't like being treated like a child, and I quickly got sick of the whole "an eight year old could pull this off" feeling I got in Oblivion. Morrowind may have had a dead world, but at least it gave players a certain amount of challenge from time to time.

I love Oblivion for getting back to the proper Elder Scrolls feel, unlike Morrowind which shot off in a new style. However, I enjoyed Morrowind as well, just prefer Oblivion by a long way.

I also love Gothic 3.

And yes, Bethsoft are huge fallout fans and they are actively working on it - should be a killer game.

I reckon I must have picked up a wrong rumour somewhere- I would love to believe that Fallout III is in development. I remember reading, however, that Bethesda just invested into license in order to resale it to someone else... It was a recent article- but I can't find it now. Let's hope it was not more than someone's hysteria caused by the absence of updates.

I reckon I must have picked up a wrong rumour somewhere- I would love to believe that Fallout III is in development. I remember reading, however, that Bethesda just invested into license in order to resale it to someone else... It was a recent article- but I can't find it now. Let's hope it was not more than someone's hysteria caused by the absence of updates.

I think that is not correct - in fact, wasn't it PC Gamer (US) that had a visit to the Fallout 3 dev area at Bethesda?

*nods* think that may have been repeated in the UK PC gamer as well (though I can't remember the source) - they talked about how it's always a good idea to wander off to look at walls when visiting a game developer - they'd found a wall of concept art and stuff for fallout 3 at Bethsofts offices.

1.09 Beta ist out

ChangeLog:
Smartheap - Out of Memory Error Fixed

That's all

Ambiente Sound Bug -> Not Fixed

Final version coming soon. The only fix is the out of memory error.

I read somewhere on the Jowood forums that next big patch will be released in conjunction with the US full version. I suppose that this makes sense since it would provide customers with a reason to wait and to not buy the game from an overseas vendor and then patch it, in the end though it's nothing more than supposition I really hope that they continue to update and enhance the game; I would rather have it this way then wait for a problem solving expansion pack. Flame if you must, but I put the game down for a while in favor of waiting for a few patches to come out. I would rather play the game the way PB intended it to be played - or at least something closely resembling their intentions - than playing through incremental improvements. It’s a shame, but coming out and admitting that you've been stretched thin takes a lot of balls. In my eyes such an admission doesn't tarnish a company's reputation for excellence. In light of this, I would like to ask: What happened here? Without knowing much I would guess that Jowood simply set a deadline that had to be met; is this true? Regardless of the answer it really doesn’t change the fact that I already bought the game. I could easily forgive this if patches and content releases mitigated my grievances. With that said, does anyone have any info of future patching plans beyond 1.09?

Aren't they but a small community?

Yes, they said they would make a modkit, but wanted to make to kit easier to use, so the modders wouldn't need to be game developers to use it. But I guess they have different priorities now.

Hello there.

Hum. I'm just curious to know. How many are they at PB anyway?

I don't have a clue but I remember them to be a lot smaller then BethSoft...
Anyway, it's just a thing about productivity... More manpower, more production.
Bethsoft bigger then PB... That about sums it up...

They were out of time. Forgive them.

Back
Top Bottom