The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

We might as well finish Necro and get our TR's up a little; playing the new stuff with our 20's right now gains little. Might be good to do once the higher levels become available or with our TR's down the track. I'm in no rush to play it; allow it to simmer awhile!! :)

I'm currently replaying everything I have on "normal" on "hard". It's astounding how many 3-5 level quests I still have on "normal" difficulty !

Apart from that I'm training myself to get more and more into PUGs to try them out - so far only wilderness areas, though. And mostly with my wizard.

I won't be available on Saturday afternoon to evening (local time) and on Sunday evening to night as well (local time). The first is a first meeting with a TDE p&p group, to find out whether and in ho far we all fit together. If everything works out right, then this will be my very first regular* TDE playing group.
The second is a monthly meeting with friends.

We've got tornados in the area. Don't wait for me.

edit- the town getting national coverage for being "gone" (Marysville) is about 5 miles from me. There was minor debris (shingles, a small piece of sheet metal) that literally rained down in our yard. Fortunately, we seem to have emerged unscathed.

Last edited:
I think it's all a conspiracy to avoid me!! :)

Actually, it's more likely to be your doing than ours. Weather is supposed to be an Act of God, and you're the one with the hotline. ;)

Sorry, but you didn't ask!! Thou receiveth not because thou asketh not!! :)

I think you called in the hits, Guido. ;)

Sounds horrible. Tornados - we have had I think 3 or 5 in the last 20 years here, or at least the press just didn't cover more of them, and Tornados are a big thing here. Almost like a dangerous spectacle.

We have far more problems with floods here, especially in winter and in spring. And coldness - during 2 weeks of "arctic cold", s people say, several people had died.

I don't know if this is just prejudice or not (I guess so), but we have a slight advantage here : *all* houses are built out of stone here. Houses built of wood alone are not known here, except as garden houses and as "protection huts" in the Alps. And yes, in the countries in and around the Alps houses made of wood are much more common, except in the towns.

While we don't have tornados here, we have sometimes hurricanes here (we call a hurricane here an "Orkan"), about once in 10-20 years. The result can be devastating, too : lots and lots and lots of woods taken down. The lask orkan cut off several smaller villages and towns from civilization because all of the woods around them were suddenly lying down - several kilomtres around them. People had to cut through this massive damage first, and that needed at least several days of work.
I do remember such a hurricane from my school time : I had to drive each morning by bike through a wood to an internship (at school we get once around the end of school a phase of a few weeks of internship in firms we can choose so that we can find out if this job suits us). One morning after such an hurricane, my way was blocked. Lots of really thick tree trunks were lying around there. I had to lift my bicycle over them. One trunk had been breaking up and completely destroy th motor of an BMW close to small district at the other end of the wood. During the rest of the year, a sunflower was to be seen growing on the rest of the´trunk, 3-5 metres above the ground.

The woods are so much prone to collapsing because they are often - too often - "monocultures" of conifers. They grow fast and used as material for furniture, carpentry and paper in large scale. Since cornifers don't go as deep into the ground (with their roots) as other trees do, they can't stand a hurricane that easily as other trees are able to.

But Tornados - I thank God that we don't have them here. Orkans and floods are bad enough.

Stone won't help you against a Tornado. I was in Jackson TN for work one night, and there was a magnificent stone church, built over 150 years ago. When I left that night, it was some bad storms. Next time I went to Jackson, only one wall remained standing, with a sad bookcase perched on the fragment of a floor that remained upstairs. A tornado touched down and ripped it apart, along with a large chunk of the rest of town.

About the only thing that will stay standing in a tornado is a house built underground. I've seen brick houses, stone houses, and wood frame houses wiped out completely. And I've seen ragged old shacks that look like a stiff wind could blow them over remain there through the worst of it.

I've been blessed. I've had to patch some holes in the walls and roof a few times, but never anything serious.

Good. Yes, I often think that houses built underground would be the only real thing against storms. Naturally.
Like houses built on pillars is effectively the only real thing that helps against floods.

Attachments

• ScreenShot00624.jpg
    ScreenShot00624.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
From a DDO forums discussions on scrolls & druids :

Found a snare scroll from a chest in tangleroot this morning. said no umd for druid/ranger.

so, rangers getting new spells too?

Edit : I have downloaded "Time Zone" by Microsoft now (requires that "geniunity" check):
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=25166
I hope it gives me better access/overview to/of the different time zones you all live in.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got that same scroll the other day in Into the Deep. I think CM was on and I mentioned it. Most likely, the spells are all in place now, just waiting for internal bug fixes and polish before Druids come out.

Last edited:
Pugged my 3 Shroud-eligibles over the weekend.

Ran Bot on hard with a bunch of gunners. Breezed thru until pt4 and wiped on pt5. Not exactly sure what went wrong. It was Bot and a FvS doing the healing and we never seemed to get in sync. The gunners, for all their gear and 500+hp across the board, didn't seem to work well together. They also pulled everyone south in pt2. Apparently that's the "new way", but it seemed messy to me. Maybe hard is just really hard.

Wouldii ran on normal with an average group. Smooth run, and Wouldii crafted his tier3 goggles.

RhoGu ran on normal with a group that would best be described as shaky. We had a sorc with 186hp and several people that couldn't do the puzzles (a guy got stuck on a 3x3 and the guy that went in to help him couldn't solve it either). I actually had the 3rd most hp in the party at 428. They poked around a lot between parts, too—the run took nearly 2 hours. We got walled very badly which led to many deaths. They kinda got their shit together for parts 4 and 5, though. We somewhat got saved by a well-geared fighter with 700+hp that was able to tank. Still, probably the nicest group I've run with and we did manage to complete.

I've been hearing about the "new way" for part 2, which is draw everything south, beat them down, land DoT spells on each and then split them apart. Theoretically, this makes for easier healing duties, and as soon as they get apart they should die pretty much instantly, eliminating timing issues within the group.

Of course, it also means if you get the fire elemental, anyone without evasion and decent reflex saves is going to get battered by fireballs. *Shrug* I don't know how well it works, because I've never ran a group that did it.

It's a lot of crap stuffed into a small area. Glancing blows and offhand attacks can wander... Having done the healing for a few runs (not an expert by any stretch, but still), I didn't really have any trouble circulating around the NE corner keeping everyone up. I suppose you need a decent 2nd healer in the group to keep the elemental and crystal killers safe, but that never seemed to be a problem.

Honestly, I think some self-promoting guru probably came up with the "new way" to show everyone how totally 1337 he is. Probably a hocus pocus type that was feeling left out while the melees took care of business with the "old" split. Whether it actually works is far less important than being teh awsum.

Back
Top Bottom