Age of Wonders 3 - Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Triumph Studios sent out a new press release with news that Age of Wonders 3 is now available. You can buy the game on GOG or Steam.

The Prophecies Are True: Age of Wonders III Now Available!

The legendary fantasy series makes its return to the legendary PC platform

DELFT, the Netherlands, March 31, 2014 – Triumph Studios, the team behind the successful Overlord and Age of Wonders series, announced today that Age of Wonders 3 is now available on Steam, GoG and retail in select territories with a recommended price of $39.99 (local prices may vary)

The third Age of Wonders title revives the classic fantasy strategy gameplay of the original, where kings, queens, and dark lords battle for the spoils of an ancient paradise. This iteration adds RPG-inspired classes and specialization, letting rulers craft empires of their own design and craft their own unique strategies and play styles.

"After 39 months of hard work, we're finally letting our baby out into the world. We're excited to let people finally return to the game they loved so much," said Lennart Sas, Development Director at Triumph Studios. "The new classes and specializations let players choose to play the way THEY want, rather than being hemmed in by the typical fantasy restrictions."

Key features include:
- Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
- Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
- All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
- New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
- Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
- A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
- An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
- Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
- High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.

Age of Wonders 3® is rated T for Teen and PEGI 16 and now available through Steam, GOG.com, and a variety of online and physical retailers. For more information, visit www.ageofwonders.com
More information.

Last edited:
I couldn't get into the older games in this series, but that might be because I didn't try them until years after they were released. I might have to give this one a shot.

I'm installing it this moment.

Onesentence review only for thrasher:
Dunno if it's good, but it's good!

Let's hope he'll now ditch that bloody MMO… :D
Anyway, expect more "impressions" later or tomorrow.

I've played for about 2 hours now.

Battles are quite difficult (I like it!). I needed to reload a couple of times. A wrong decision may cost your hero's (or another units) life quite quickly.

But I also discovered design flaw in the first scenario (very minor spolier):
Quite early you receive a unit that can fly. I used it to explore the map, flying over mountains and stuff into the enemy's realm. I accidently approached the main city where an event was triggered that is supposed to happen when you arrive there with your main hero. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Last edited:
will be interested after a few patches. games like this are loaded with bugs on release. its the rule.

Hmm, campaign bugs would be a big bummer for me. Maybe I'll hold out. I am more interested in single player campaigns than multiplayer.

Played a few hours, the game is WONDERFUL (if you like TBS fantasy). It is so good I will have to puck Warlock 2 on hold and play this one, and I will probably be able to let go only after several months. Life is good for TBS gamers now.

it is good. Been playing a good bit today. Normally I'm a random-map kind of guy, but people in the other thread asked about the campaigns. The elf campaign seems quite adequate. I'm quite enjoying the game. I don't normally play this long in one sitting anymore. I haven't seen a single bug in several hours. Seems quite polished to me so far.

To compare with Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, as asked in the other thread, AoW3 if much prettier. Also, combat is better. Research doesn't seem as involved, and building options may lag slightly behind FE:LH, but I'm not even positive about that last one. You have to win by conquest in AoW3, no alternate victory conditions, so this one is a bit more combat oriented, and thankfully the combat system is better. I glanced at leader creation outside of the campaign I'm playing now, and it looked to have as many options as FE:LH. Would like to see as many races as the previous games had, but I imagine we will as DLC. It's was Steam's #1 seller when I looked today, and it's been hovering in the top 25 for at least a couple weeks before release.

If you like a turn-based fantasy 4x strategy game, as I do, I wouldn't hesitate to pick this one up...with the understanding that I haven't gotten into random-map generation or anything outside of one campaign yet.

I'm hearing that there's some sort of funny DRM business...something about having to have your account verified via email before you're able to play? Something about the official forums being loaded with people that can't get into the game because of it?

Maybe someone can tell me whether or not this is true? I'd like to own this one, but not if there's DRM...

well...Its being sold on GoG as well if you're worried about DRM I guess?

For steam version you have to link steam account. For gog version you have to make account. But there is an off line mode that requires no account. I did not check if off line mode is limited beyond no multiplayer…

I'm hearing that there's some sort of funny DRM business…something about having to have your account verified via email before you're able to play? Something about the official forums being loaded with people that can't get into the game because of it?

Maybe someone can tell me whether or not this is true? I'd like to own this one, but not if there's DRM…

I've played the first scenario of the elven campaign in offline mode without any apparent restrictions.

Just finished SR Dragonfall, now it's on to The Stick of Truth. After that AoW3 seems like a good bet.

You can but you don't have to register on the official site probably in order to play MP part. I did register although I'll be playing CP part only. In any case it's optional, you don't have to register to play the game.

First impression on the campaign? It's odd. Honestly. It is.
But also it's fun. Won't say more till I play some more as some things I dunno what are for (for example a shining hex on the map, I get on it and no dig or something option is offered to a hero or to a laborer).

I think you do have a typo there; as you must register to play MP.

You can but you don't have to register on the official site probably in order to play MP part. I did register although I'll be playing CP part only. In any case it's optional, you don't have to register to play the game.

First impression on the campaign? It's odd. Honestly. It is.
But also it's fun. Won't say more till I play some more as some things I dunno what are for (for example a shining hex on the map, I get on it and no dig or something option is offered to a hero or to a laborer).

I wasn't sure. Didn't really checked in options if the game supports LAN parties and stuff.

They should have stated registration required for multiplayer on top of the game description text. But in the end why should they, who cares for MP anyway. ;)

Yes, seems the log-in stuff is for multi player only. I've moved from the campaign to a random map and haven't logged in or linked anything yet. Don't plan to. I've no interest in MP.

And my single-player game has been fun. There I was, happily expanding my empire into the independent areas near me, and some leader I'd only gotten glimpses of slams my capital city with 2 tank-like vehicles, firing broadside canons and ramming the he'll out of my walls and goblins. Nasty machines. Took my city back with my own nasties, 2 big 'ol summoned eldrich terrors. Wholly unexpected attack. Good stuff. Can't wait to get back and take a swipe at the devious human.

Back
Top Bottom