Arx Fatalis - Patch & Source Code

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Hold onto your hats RPGWatchers this one will knock your retro socks off. Arkane Studios has released a patch that brings Arx Fatalis up to version 1.21.
According to Bethesda Blog this fixes the stability on Windows 7 and Vista machines, performance issues on Nvidia GPUs and a number of other things. You can get the patch here.
They have also released the source code. You can get it from the same page you got the patch.
I have verified that the patch and source code can be downloaded, but none of the claims about what the patch does. Read the readme for the source code and have fun revisiting Arx Fatalis on your modern rigs.
More information.

Ha! Mind readers! :)

I`m only few hours in, after waiting to play it for ages - my old comp couldn`t handle it. I`m on XP and had no major issues with it, apart from slight tearing in some places. Let`s see how it goes with this patch…

And source code, eh? Now that`s a grand gesture :)

WOW!

The atmosphere was awesome and I loved the gameplay...

Arx Fatalis English v1.21
-------------------------
- Improved overall game stability under Microsoft© Windows Vista© & Windows 7©.
- Fixed blinking effect that may happen when starting a new game.
- Fixed HUD scaling when display resolution is higher than 1024x960.
- Fixed EAX option: value is now saved when leaving the option menu.
- Fixed an issue with the game locking-up when opening player inventory.
- Fixed length of cinemascope bars displayed during cinematics.
- Fixed some performance issues with a few Nvidia GPU (see Notes).

I think this is it

Cool! Thanks, redman. I couldn't read the readme because the patch is an EXE and I don't have the game installed at the moment.

Fixed HUD scaling sounds great :) Man….I can't start another game. I've already got Precusors, Avernum and Majesty 2: Kingmaker that I'm playing…..Damn you Arkane Studios for being so cool!!!

wow ! O_O

I think I should reinstall this game again …

Ahh, the memories. What an excellent game!

Loved the graphics style and it had the best goblins (and hobgoblins AKA goblin lords) in any CRPG yet. Can still remember one of the early encounters with them, being low on health, I had to run away from one, only to have him shout after me: "You fight like a girl!" And of course the toilet in the goblin stronghold, which is occupied, and if you try the locked door, a very annoyed goblin voice cries out: "Occupied!" Classic stuff! :)

If you haven't played it yet, what are you waiting for - go play it!! Oh and beware the Ylsides.

Great game. It captured the ultima underworld vibe like nothing else. Sadly, they never got back to their RPG roots, releasing the craptastic dark messiah of might&magic followed by the excellent but non-RPG bioshock 2. Hopefully bethesda leads them back to their roots.

I wish they would make Arx Fatalis 2 already. If I remember right when they originally were developing Arx Fatalis 2 something happened and they had to switch gears on what they were working on and turn into that Might and Magic game they made

I can't get the game to retain graphics settings. It starts out with a little 2 by 2 inch square. I adjust the resolution to the largest setting and click "apply" start the game save a game, then exit. Restart the game and the settings are back to what they were. Unacceptable for me

I wish they would make Arx Fatalis 2 already. If I remember right when they originally were developing Arx Fatalis 2 something happened and they had to switch gears on what they were working on and turn into that Might and Magic game they made

Well, as I recall Arkane licensed Valve's Source engine and began working on a Arx 2 demo/prototype that they started shipping around various publishers. That picked Ubi Soft's interest, but as it happened Ubi Soft had just bought the right from the Might & Magic license and offered Arkane to do Dark Messiah instead.

So the little that had been done on that Arx 2 prototype was turned in Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

I loved Dark Messiah but I certainly would have prefered an Arx 2. Raphaël Colantonio did say that the next game they were working were something more in the vein or Arx Fatalis, so here's hoping...

-Sergorn

I never finished Arx, but I got several fun hours out of it. Of course everyone knows that Arx Fatalis 2 will be the first crpg to use the Id Tech 5 engine :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom