XCOM: Enemy Unknown - "True" sequel revealed

There has actually been quite a few X-com remakes. some good - some not. And I'm not talking the sequels either. But none of the remakes have been able to capture that real feeling of an alien invasion like the first one. That feeling where you find an alien incursion spot, investigate and then find a freaking alien in some Barn or someones kitchen. The game wasn't real time but it still was able to evoke a type of surprise.

And that is what is intriguing me about the FPS, it might be able to capture that same type of surprise. As far as this new project goes, that graphic makes the game look very very promising, so being an X-com fan, if they build it, I will come.

I saw the FPS X-Com stuff and was dubious but after seeing the preview and reading about it it actually looked pretty good. But then I am not one of those "they totally destroyed the series by re-imaging it" sorts.

That said, an up-to-date UFO/XCom strategy/tactics game would be great. I've played a couple of the "spiritual successors" and while they were fun none managed to capture the whole of what made XCom special.

My extensive library of PS1 and PS2 strategy games (TB and RT) speak otherwise. The sheer amount of SRPGs for example should convince anyone.

I consider tactical RPGs to be different from all-out, large scale strategy games along the lines of Galactic Civilizations, Civ, Age of Wonders, Heroes of M&M, Total War, etc. These games are a different beast from tactical RPGs, and the management/micro-management of various elements of these games would be just about impossible on a gamepad in my opinion, at least not without severely limiting the strategic portion of these games (with Civ: Revolution providing the best "hard evidence" that I can think of to support this statement). Even a tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance 2 is hard to picture being playable with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard setup without major adjustments and compromises in the tactical design.

I consider tactical RPGs to be different from all-out, large scale strategy games along the lines of Galactic Civilizations, Civ, Age of Wonders, Heroes of M&M, Total War, etc. These games are a different beast from tactical RPGs, and the management/micro-management of various elements of these games would be just about impossible on a gamepad in my opinion, at least not without severely limiting the strategic portion of these games (with Civ: Revolution providing the best "hard evidence" that I can think of to support this statement). Even a tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance 2 is hard to picture being playable with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard setup without major adjustments and compromises in the tactical design.

I'm not so sure....I don't use the keyboard much if at all when playing those games. The gamepad can mimic the way a mouse is used so I think it could work fine.

Even a tactical RPG like Jagged Alliance 2 is hard to picture being playable with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard setup without major adjustments and compromises in the tactical design.

I played Jagged Alliance on a portable console and i found it almost unplayable. It took so long just to get a character to move....

I'm not so sure….I don't use the keyboard much if at all when playing those games. The gamepad can mimic the way a mouse is used so I think it could work fine.

I mostly use the mouse in these games as well, and I have a hard time believing that an analog stick could comfortably or accurately mimic a mouse - otherwise we wouldn't need vastly different U.I.s and control schemes for a game that comes out on consoles and PC, and strategy games that rely heavily on mouse movement such as the Total War series or the newer Civs wouldn't be PC exclusives.

I played Jagged Alliance on a portable console and i found it almost unplayable. It took so long just to get a character to move….

I wasn't even aware of a portable console version of JA...I imagine that it was quite awkward to play if it was a direct port of the original :)

Damn it. Now I've got my hopes up…please please please make this good. But if they want it to work on consoles they have to remove the challenge and stupidify it quite a bit I suppose… But maybe, just maybe,,,

Back
Top Bottom